Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
They don't like Keefe, Peters.... who in hell are they aiming at?
I was pretty big on Keefe but I’m starting to really not like him. Thank god we’re out on Peters though, he kills offensive creativity and is NOT the coach to have when trying to develop guys like Chytil and Buchnevich. I think he’ll do decent in Calgary though

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t think I like what I’ve heard about him. I like Montgomery though
I don't like either. I don't trust Montgomery being able to handle New York.

Quinn is a better recruiter than he is a coach.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
We won't have as much cap space as everyone thinks next year.

RFA estimates:

Hayes: 4 on a bridge deal (+1.4M)
Skjei: 4.5 (+3.5M)
Spooner: 3 (+.2M)
Namestnikov: 2.5 (+.5M)
Gilmour: 1.5 (+.7M)
Vesey: 1.5 (+.5M)

Realistically I think its a forgone conclusion that we move one of Spooner/Namestnikov, if not both. Vesey and Gilmour are maybes, and I gather it would take a vast over-payment for us to move Hayes. We are 100% not moving Skjei

we're still adding salary here, even on the low end of the estimates. These numbers could easily be higher.

If we sign Kovalchuk, I gotta think he is getting ~6M

assuming we dump Namestnikov for futures and replace him with a 1M player,

we're still adding ~10M salary here

+Girardi's buyout penalty goes up 1M next season

This makes a Zucc trade all but inevitable, and even then, unless its a trade for 100% futures, its still not going to give us that much cap relief.

Granted, these salary estimates can be way off but we are still going to be up against it.
I think you are light on just about every one of your salary assumptions.

I would also not lock in on Skeji. He could be the price for a young RHD. Depends on how the draft lottery goes and whatever other deals are in play.

But I fully agree that one or both of Namestnikov and Spooner will be gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would also not lock in on Skeji. He could be the price for a young RHD. Depends on how the draft lottery goes and whatever other deals are in play.
Trouba?

Not a lot of names make sense if we are moving LHD Skjei for equivalent, available RHD. Also if the Rangers move Skjei their LHD depth becomes Staal, Smith and um....Gilmour unless the guys they got at the deadline are ready and that may not be ideal. They can get away with Shattenkirk, Pionk and DeAngelo on the right for now. Not sure about that left hand side though

Reactions: haveandare

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I feel like I've heard Quinn from a bunch of people now. Maybe they really do like him?

Someone like Todd Nelson could also be an option. Think my money would be on him. Not a rook. Spent a lot of time wondering what he shall do the next time he gets a shot.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Someone like Todd Nelson could also be an option. Think my money would be on him. Not a rook. Spent a lot of time wondering what he shall do the next time he gets a shot.
Not really feeeeeeeling the name Todd, to be honest.
Also as a last name, like Dick Todd.

Just goofing around, btw. Todd Nelson may be great. I don’t know.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like Jack as well, but the packages that are being thrown around here seems to be to much in my opinion.

And I have to say that the argument that he was pacing towards a certain total is not comforting when you end the argument with "had he been healthy"

I also don't buy the premise that his numbers would be better here. We said the same thing about Rick Nash and aside from one goal scoring season, that didn't happen.

The only sense it makes in including Skjei in any trade for him is if Buffalo is placing a premium on that inclusion. And if that WERE the case, I'd be OK with Hayes, Skjei, a 1st (their choice between Bos and TB) a 2nd and a 3rd.

Beyond that, IMHO, Jack needs to demonstrate an ability to stay healthy and post more tha a point a game before I break the bank for him.

All of that said, hes not available

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not really feeeeeeeling the name Todd, to be honest.
Also as a last name, like Dick Todd.

Just goofing around, btw. Todd Nelson may be great. I don’t know.
I don't mind Nelson. Really helped rebuild Edmonton's minor league infrastructure (yes it was worse than it is now) and got a bit of a raw deal as their coach. Has gotten results at the AHL level as well.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I also don't buy the premise that his numbers would be better here. We said the same thing about Rick Nash and aside from one goal scoring season, that didn't happen.
It’s funny. Had a look at Nash’s stats. He really didnt score like we had hoped he would. Not really bashing him, he was much better-than-advertised at other things than scoring and in general I think he was a very good Ranger.
But despite all the subpar goalscoring seasons, that one year you mentioned he got his career-high in goals. Such a weird year that was. Everything was going in.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Trouba?

Not a lot of names make sense if we are moving LHD Skjei for equivalent, available RHD. Also if the Rangers move Skjei their LHD depth becomes Staal, Smith and um....Gilmour unless the guys they got at the deadline are ready and that may not be ideal. They can get away with Shattenkirk, Pionk and DeAngelo on the right for now. Not sure about that left hand side though
2/3 of the right being guys who aren't reliable... to me, that's risky. Better to get defensive RD and bring DeAngelo along little by little, playing half the time till his defense grows, if it will. It's incorrect to think a responsible D partner makes up for ANY player who struggles defensively. In video games it works; AI gets/keeps that guy back but it's too fast now in the NHL. More and more, defenseman coming into the NHL are guys who facilitate and join the rush but defense-first. Karlssons and Subbans can just do whatever they want and still deliver--different story. Plus, you have to draft them

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
BU has done nothing but underachieve in his tenure despite having some of the best recruits in the nation. No thanks.

Many underestimate how hard it is to manage winning in a program with high one/two & done turnover. Prime roles go to Fresh/Sophs that constantly turn over, which also reduces the opportunities for next tier talents to develop.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
At this stage I'm leaning more towards keeping Spooner and trading Namestnikov.

Give Spooner a one year 'prove it' deal in arbitration, give him top 6 offensive minutes, and if he is having a great season and NYR are out of it at the deadline he can be moved for more assets.

Namestnikov will just take valuable time away from Lias Andersson, for me. He doesn't seem to have the offense to be more than a 3C

Reactions: Lays

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
BU has done nothing but underachieve in his tenure despite having some of the best recruits in the nation. No thanks.

Honestly I'm less worried about program results and more focused on how guys have developed at BU.

That said, I'd rather Montgomery who has had both program success and player development success.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
At this stage I'm leaning more towards keeping Spooner and trading Namestnikov.

Give Spooner a one year 'prove it' deal in arbitration, give him top 6 offensive minutes, and if he is having a great season and NYR are out of it at the deadline he can be moved for more assets.

Namestnikov will just take valuable time away from Lias Andersson, for me. He doesn't seem to have the offense to be more than a 3C

My only concern is say the team is on the bubble and Spooner is having a great season. Would we all be okay with him walking for nothing? Because that could happen.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My only concern is say the team is on the bubble and Spooner is having a great season. Would we all be okay with him walking for nothing? Because that could happen.

I think if we're on the bubble, you trade him anyways. Otherwise extend the contract.

I don't get the impression that 'were going to try to make the playoffs' means to management that they aren't still going to be shrewd about asset management.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think if we're on the bubble, you trade him anyways. Otherwise extend the contract.

I don't get the impression that 'were going to try to make the playoffs' means to management that they aren't still going to be shrewd about asset management.

I hope your right but I’d prefer to trade him in the offseason and let that other team do as they wish with him. I’m more concerned with this team squeaking into that 8th spot and then not trading him because they see the playoffs as possible. That would be bad asset management.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I hope your right but I’d prefer to trade him in the offseason and let that other team do as they wish with him. I’m more concerned with this team squeaking into that 8th spot and then not trading him because they see the playoffs as possible. That would be bad asset management.

I guess. One wonder what trade value Spooner actually has. NYR let Zherdev go for nothing under similar circumstances.

Boston fans suggested Spooner's likely RFA ask in arbitration rendered him nearly valueless to them.

Certainly, if we could get a 2nd for each Spooner and Namestnikov I'd be thrilled. I just don't think management deals Names, Spooner, and Zuccarello all in one offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad