Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah, I don’t really see Sutter as an option. Brooks brought him up once, just as a mention, and hasn’t brought him up since.

Has he even said he wants to coach again?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If by some miracle the Leafs come back and win the series, where would the Boston pick be? 22-25 range?

Assuming all 4 division winners make it to the conference finals, the pick will be 27th OA I think.

31 = Stanley Cup winner
30 = Stanley Cup finalist
28 & 29 = Conference finalists

After that, they are ranked by points, with the division winners getting the lowest available picks.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If by some miracle the Leafs come back and win the series, where would the Boston pick be? 22-25 range?
Something like that. Closer to 25 than 22.

Picks 16 to ___ are determined by the regular season standings for non-CF teams who didn't win the dvision. The next picks go to division winners who didn't make it to the CF. Then the CF losers, SCF loser, SCF winner.

Boston did not win the Atlantic. They came in 4th in the regular season behind Nashville, Winnipeg, and Tampa, in that order.

Washington, Nashville, Vegas, and Tampa won their divisions.

It's a bit convoluted still. We will definitely know where the pick is by the end of the next round.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It comes from eight assists in 32 games. It's that simple. People say "stats aren't everything..."
for an offensive defenseman, they are. He's skilled, for sure, and a case could be made that AV didn't give him enough but Ruff was also there. With a great debut in Phoenix two seasons ago... then 32-0-8... that's where the narrative is coming from... like John Moore (and the obligatory 3rd... sorry) lol... but really... and no love for him... 32-0-8 is heading toward bustdom for an offensive defenseman with questionable D.

As for the ankle, not what I meant--I think/hope he'll fully recover. But since you mention it, ANY injury depreciates trade value to an extent (probably more so for a questionable, young player) until he's 100% and performing well again.

So, for ME, that's where the narrative is coming from. I'm more confused that why, since Leetch, this team has had such awful luck finding that high-end offensive D-man, and yet everyone thinks we've found that in a young player who's given no reason to believe that in over a year.

He doesn't have much value right now BUT is definitely worth keeping if things go as we hope.
If you trade him today, you would at least get a a top quality prospect in return.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Something like that. Closer to 25 than 22.

Picks 16 to ___ are determined by the regular season standings for non-CF teams who didn't win the dvision. The next picks go to division winners who didn't make it to the CF. Then the CF losers, SCF loser, SCF winner.

Boston did not win the Atlantic. They came in 4th in the regular season behind Nashville, Winnipeg, and Tampa, in that order.

Washington, Nashville, Vegas, and Tampa won their divisions.

It's a bit convoluted still. We will definitely know where the pick is by the end of the next round.

Here's the explanation:

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)

Boston winning the Cup = 31
Boston losing the final = 30
Boston losing the conference final = 29 (NSH or WPG losing the WCF) or 28 (Any other team losing the WCF)
Boston not making the ECF:

27 if TBL, WPG and NSH make it to the CF
26 if 2 of TBL, WPG and NSH make it to the CF
25 if 1 of them makes it
24 if none make the CF

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Still can’t believe how badly Gorton beaned Shero on the Grabner trade

I bet the people who are mad he traded with the Devils have changed their mind :laugh:
Not even Grabners fault honestly, Devils have NO clue how to use him.
We bent them over though. Rykov alone I would’ve been happy with. Kids a beast

Reactions: bl02 and Rongomania

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Zero reason to move ADA. We're not exactly brimming with right-handed defenseman, and he deserves the chance under a new coach.

Yeah. AV was not the right coach for ADA. You have to give him at least another year or two under a new coach before making a definitive call on him. Trading him to recoup any sort of asset is absolutely foolish. There is a better chance ADA becomes a good player and hits his potential then there is us picking an NHLer with that pick.

He is one you ride until he booms or busts. Trading him is.... well it is stupid.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If a player like ADA has no value because he didn't score many points last year and is currently hurt then the correct play is almost surely to trade all late picks for similar players.

Reactions: Ola

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Here's the explanation:

Boston losing the conference final = 29 (NSH or WPG losing the WCF) or 28 (Any other team losing the WCF)

25 if 1 of them makes it
24 if none make the CF
So the best case is 26, NSH and WPG will play each other in the CF SF, so the 27 is impossible.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Here's the explanation:

25 if 1 of them makes it
24 if none make the CF

giphy.gif

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The funnier thing is thinking a players trade value fluctuates WILDLY from season to season. If that were the case there would be tons of places to exploit and there are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->