Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The Devils were penalized $3M,a 3rd round pick and a 1st. The team was sold to Josh Harris and they appealed the punishment. Bettman reduced the fine and changed the terms of the 1st. Instead of losing a 1st, Bettman gave them the last pick of the first round in 2014. They still lost the 3rd and had a #1 pick lowered 15-20 spots. The Devils went through so much **** and abuse to satisfy Kovalchuk and his buddy Grossman. If they pulled this on the Rangers,the same people defending Kovalchuk would be crucifying him.
Then it sure is a good thing the Rangers run their team better than New Jersey

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So on D is the consensus Pionk can make it In the top 6 but the rest of the kids are meh?
My take:
Vets returning: Smith, Staal, Skjei, Shatty
Definitely top 6: Pionk
Jury still out: gilmour, ADA
Probably not: OGara, Sproul, Bigras, Beargloves (I’ll take the mulligan perhaps), Kampfer
Hopeful: Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Day

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Quick thoughts:

Pionk bottom pair next year.
No on Kane, dude had a lazy/party rep in WINNIPEG. lmao
Zucc would get less than we think. Keep.
Kreider for EDM 1st if it turns out good is a pipe dream. Don't trade, team is crazy soft already.
Andersson much more likely to be a C for the team next year than Chytil, both most likely to be in HFD
Team isn't trading Hayes after seeing what life was like with bad C depth.
One of Spooner/Names with another young player for a veteran D seems likely if we can dump Smith or Staal somehow.
Keep Kovalchuk to a 2 year deal for whatever money he wants.
Contend for 6th-8th next year, Target 2020-21 for Cup contention, build toward that.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
I don't get to watch enough games, and I'm no scout anyway but Pionk seems to have earned a shot. Gilmour looks like the seventh dman who can fill in during the season for short stretches. My sense was that ADA looked overmatched at first but may have started to catch up a bit when he got hurt. That was a shame.
I wouldn't look to add any veteran dmen in the off-season. Let the young kids get some ice time and see what we have. Let Smith try to make it back (at least far enough to dump). Let the deadline additions move closer to prime time.

Reactions: belford222

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Does anyone else get the sense we are under valuing Namestnikov and Spooner like we did Pascal Dupuis? Seems like these guys are playing line they want to be here. I'd hate to see us get a poor return and watch them help another team be good.
Personally, I'd keep 'em both and trade Hayes. (I realize this is an unpopular opinion.)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Unless they’re part of trades or there are contract issues, D next season will be

Shattenkirk
Skjei
ADA
Pionk
Gilmour
Staal

#7 will be Kampfer or OGara.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Namestnikov gets undervalued a little bit because of how he became a Ranger. Miller has gone on a tear with Tampa, and Namestnikov hasn't produced the same way. That being said, I think it's clear that the Rangers saw Miller as a potential headache for their rebuild -- as in he's a guy who gets sour when times are tough -- and wanted to move on. Getting a guy who was a center that could play wing was important, as opposed to having a guy who was a winger who could play center. Depending on his contract demands, I would try to keep him. He can pop out to the wing and insulate a guy like Andersson or Chytil when they make the jump.

I wanted the Rangers to get Spooner last summer and I'm glad he's having success here. I certainly don't see him as a 100pt player next season, but he should be a good 2nd line RW to take over for Zucc if/when he gets dealt. Great on the PP and has positional versatility. I think he's a guy who they really need to keep.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Absolutely. I think Kreids wants that C. Bad. I also think that is the utmost kick in the ass for him. As we all know, as it has been beaten to death that if Kreids can maintain that level everyone in the world has seen, we will be in much better shape. Also because it seems as Kreids play goes, so does Zibas.
That's a good observation because this team hasn't had a guy really want to be captain since #11. Every one since him has kind of had the honor foisted on him and has looked really uncomfortable carrying the symbolism and responsibility.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
That's a good observation because this team hasn't had a guy really want to be captain since #11. Every one since him has kind of had the honor foisted on him and has looked really uncomfortable carrying the symbolism and responsibility.

Thanks Bob. I really believe this is his mindset and I think he knows what it takes. Plus, having a fella who crushed it out of the gate in the PO’s as a rookie, how much better of a mentor for our youngins can you get (assuming he runs with the ‘C’ and finally turns into that guy 90% of the time) ?

Captain Kreider. Match made in heaven, sounds like a ****ing Stan Lee name.

Reactions: BobSantos

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Devils were penalized $3M,a 3rd round pick and a 1st. The team was sold to Josh Harris and they appealed the punishment. Bettman reduced the fine and changed the terms of the 1st. Instead of losing a 1st, Bettman gave them the last pick of the first round in 2014. They still lost the 3rd and had a #1 pick lowered 15-20 spots. The Devils went through so much **** and abuse to satisfy Kovalchuk and his buddy Grossman. If they pulled this on the Rangers,the same people defending Kovalchuk would be crucifying him.
Sure, but it’s nothing compared to likely bankruptcy that NHL saved Devils from by stepping in and temporary assuming control while the ownership was in distress, including timely satisfying its financial obligations like repayment of debt, interest and players salaries. You will disagree but to me this was NHL penalizing franchise for degenerating the situation to its levels (I’m sure Bettman felt it was an embarrassment to the league ). Assigning one sentence and then themselves having it softened IMHO indicates that it was a show for public consumption. Media was mostly discussing financial implication to Devils, not the defection itself.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So on D is the consensus Pionk can make it In the top 6 but the rest of the kids are meh?
I think Pionk is a going to be a top 4. Only 22 years old, battles hard every night and offense is clearly coming. I just think he is going to get better and better. I love this kid.

Maybe Gilmour slides into the bottom pair but O'Gara and Sproul are just filler. Jury still out on ADA and will likely stay out for a while.

Can't help but feel Kane in NYC is a recipe for disaster.
As always, on point. Kane would be well served to pitch his tent right where he is right now.

Reactions: belford222

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Personally, I'd keep 'em both and trade Hayes. (I realize this is an unpopular opinion.)

Right it is unpopular to me as I support a wait and see approach. Depending on how situation develops with prospects, free agency and trades maybe it will become an obvious direction.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does anyone else get the sense we are under valuing Namestnikov and Spooner like we did Pascal Dupuis? Seems like these guys are playing line they want to be here. I'd hate to see us get a poor return and watch them help another team be good.

Gorton basically traded JT Miller for Namestnikov — I think the risk of him undervaluing him is non existent.

Tampa and Yzerman might be forced to move JT this summer. What kind of return is Yzerman getting for JT if he is forced to do that?

5+4 in 7 games in Tampa. JT is gritty and only 25 y/o. I hope Gorton knew what he was doing, I took a ton of trash for second guessing that trade at the deadline but I am still far from convinced...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Come on, Kovalchuk was the biggest name on the UFA market basically ever and NJD stole him by a complete ridiculous contract. “Satisfy Kovalchuk and his buddy Grossman”, yeah right. Kova was worth 10m per on the market and NJD constructed a contract with 10m per for 10 years and a 6m cap hit lol — what the heck does that have to do with satisfying Kovalchuk?

Brodeur was all buddy buddy with Kovalchuk in that article. Odd, how many times did the NJD make Kovalchuk a healthy scratch? You go out and get a top 3 player in the league, like we would get Karlsson, sign him to a 100m deal, then you scratch him. Kova was hardly some model citizen his entire tenure in NJ.

Kovalchuk was suspended for the reminder of the season by SKA is it 3 years ago?

There are many stories, reports from credible sources, on Kova. He is hardly a model citizen. We talk about getting a role model for the Russian kids, Kova has a big reputation in europe. Kind of like a Chinese basketball team signing Dennis Rodman to be a role model for a bunch of young US college basketball players.

I do however not expect Kova to have a negative impact on any kids, his reputation precedes him so to speak. But a role model? Nah lol, that he will never be. Maybe on the ice. But he might be ‘the last diva’ if you get what I mean.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Resign Names, Spooner, Vesey and Hayes.

Sign Ian Cole Kovalchuk and Grabner to 2 year deals. Possibly bring back Holden.

Trade Zucc for another #1 and a prospect.

See if one Anderson, Chytil or Howden are ready for the big club.

Hopefully Smith pulls it together.

Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Names - Andersson - Kovalchuk
Spooner - Hayes - Grabner
Vesey - Nieves - Fast

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Cole - Smith/ADA
Staal - Pionk
ADA/Smith

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He is soon 35 and he is not the same everyone thinks he is related to production.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So after less than 10 games people have concluded We got the short end of trading Miller. Really lets discount the rest of the trade and forget it may benefit the team with the prospects and draft choices. Sick of hearing how Miller has been on fire since trade and how gritty he is. Yeah it showed here when he disappeared for games and made dumb decisions. Yeah the defense is he is only 24 and is still learning. Yet these same people want to trade anyone on our roster over 25. They also want to trade Keider and Zuc as if they are playing Fantasy Hockey. You need guys like Kreider and Zuc. They are good and are character guys that care. Miller too often looked disinterested and quite frankly just bad. Time to move away from Miller.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I’m a little humored by those who don’t think that Kovalchuk is a leader or a good team player. It may have taken a couple of years but he is highly regarded around the league. Add in the Rangers growing Russian contingent and it makes even more sense.

Nash coming back also makes sense. He played a solid 200 foot game, he loved being a Ranger and the one thing that was wrong with him was his contract. Sign him for the proper wage and he will be fine.

All of this is pluses out when you assume Zuccarello will be heavily shopped this summer.

Now there is a complication — a potential 2020 expansion draft. Kovalchuk and Nash would be coming to the Rangers with some expectation of stability. The potential of an expansion draft in two years means no contract of more than two years give them assurances where they will be playing because no team (Rangers or otherwise) will want to give them extended movement protection for more than two years. So I’m fine with two year contracts, perhaps with one year of NTC, a limited NTC for the second year and no movement to Hartford. Teams are going to be looking at this more and more after what happed with Las Vegas.

This is such an important point. You want something tangible to help base your roster outlooks and things. This is an important point that will be taken into account by Gorton and how he chooses to make decisions, who he's keeping, who is qualifying, who he is signing and who he is trading for. What would the rangers 7f 3ds look like today, how many of those guys would you want to actually protect. Mika/Hayes/names/spooner. Too many tweeners who are or will get paid. No long term deals to any of them. Gorton will also try to keep the UFAs signings to 2 years deals or make sure it's someone he'd be willing to protect 2 years from now.

Guys looking for the important factors in imagining, trying to get into the heads of how the FO might really go about it. What bobbop says at the end there. That will be a definite factor

Reactions: bobbop

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Pionk is a going to be a top 4. Only 22 years old, battles hard every night and offense is clearly coming. I just think he is going to get better and better. I love this kid.

Maybe Gilmour slides into the bottom pair but O'Gara and Sproul are just filler. Jury still out on ADA and will likely stay out for a while.

As always, on point. Kane would be well served to pitch his tent right where he is right now.

Gilmour's surprised me the most. But I was big on Pionk last year. There were 25 teams after Neal, and it was around a year ago at this time I posted that he'd be the most important UFA the Rangers could sign last off-season. Not surprised by his play, he used to be even thinner and scrawnier but had a nice mass gain... if he continues to add some leg strength and gains an extra step, then you're looking at a very very good top 4 player. The instincts are there. He's already past that 4A watermark imo... but more time is needed until he hits that top 4 status. Either way, he's an NHL defenseman.

ADA is going to have to show a lot more than he has at the NHL level imo. This is a market that suits him, if he can be himself. There are elements to his game that, imo with the right coaching and partners on defense, and a focused approach, he can be that Danny Boyle type of player.... but I didn't see that at all. Outside of the pre-season, I can't say he brought a high compete level.

On EKane, NoCal is a good spot for him, it's a city where he can be himself and be embraced. That wasn't going to happen in BUF or WPG. I do think that he'd have too many distractions in NYC, but this is the type of stage where he'd full on excel for the notoriety or burn himself out. I like the guy, and but I like his tools more than his effort level. He, much like Kreider, has all the tools to be that prototypical modern power forward, but both guys don't show up every game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I want Kovalchuk next year. I don't care about the age, but you need to score to win, and he can score. I don't buy the whole no character, he went ahead of Spezza 17 years ago (yeah it's been that long) because scouts loved his will to win.

Was Ilya out of shape for a couple of years in Russia, I heard that was the case, but not in recently. The player that was out there in the Olympics, that guy could still skate. I think this team needs a player like him in the locker room.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I'm not against Kovalchuk coming here if it's for 2 years. If he wants to come to a contender, this isn't the place. The looming expansion draft scares me.

People are going to be very disappointed if they think this team is turning it around next season. Even if they bring in Kovalchuk and bring back Nash/Grabner, the defense is a hot mess.

Prospects should be allowed to develop. Not saying purposefully keep them in the minors. If any are ready by all means let them play.

They are rebuilding. Do it the right way. Don't rush it and try to make it a "retool"
This year and next is rebuilding. 19-20 is getting in and winning a rd or 2. 2020-21 is when they probably are realistic about contending or really beginning to contend. But it's not gonna be bottom dwelling rebuilding. That would be impossible with how bad the league is. Larry brooks is hinting how the rangers FO wishes they were tanking and losing games and don't believe you can begin building a winning culture by playing out a lost season well. They'd like to be losing, and it ain't happening now, it's not gonna happen next year. Goaltending separates the rangers from the real bottom dwellers, there's nothing the rangers can do about that and play it honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad