Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think the Rangers are learning their lesson - one day the fans will. Youth and cost controlled players are becoming more important each year in the NHL. Yet, somehow, people still want to trade the Rangers best young position player, best prospect, and a 1st rounder, for a guy like Karlsson who had made it no secret that he will be breaking the bank very soon. Do people really think Karlsson's best days are ahead of him? If so, it wont be for very long.
We will see at the deadline just how much the Rangers have learned their lesson. I have a feeling they haven't.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm not sure that's been phrased properly to account for both sides.

We wouldn't be sacrificing future that doesn't exist within our organization to not trade Grabner and Nash, but we wouldn't be strenghtenimg our future, which is rather dim according to any non-Rangers homer.

Trading McDonagh and Zuccarello is a completely different consideration that maybe could wait until the draft, if it's done, but I don't see how this team doesn't trade away two players who could both likely fetch us a first round pick, given how it's not even a given we make the playoffs.
I’m no homer, and I’m excited about Chytil and Andersson in the top six and Skjei to be in our top four for years. I expect Lettieri to be middle six and ADA, Crawley to develop into second pairing. Maybe 3rd pairing for Pionk. Jury’s still out on many of the 2016-2017 picks. I also think Zbo could be a third pair defender. Oh, and Shestyorkin. Buchnevich.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think the Rangers are learning their lesson - one day the fans will. Youth and cost controlled players are becoming more important each year in the NHL. Yet, somehow, people still want to trade the Rangers best young position player, best prospect, and a 1st rounder, for a guy like Karlsson who had made it no secret that he will be breaking the bank very soon. Do people really think Karlsson's best days are ahead of him? If so, it wont be for very long.

Shatty 6.65m
Staal 5.7m
Smith 4.35m

McDonagh has 1.5 years left. Skjei needs a new contract. Factor in Girardi’s buyout.

Miller, Hayes, Buch. All need new contracts.

Gorts trades over the last two years are a pretty good indication of the direction he’s taking this team. I’m not concerned about him actively pursuing EK.

He showed restraint last deadline as well by not moving assets for Shatty.

EK is an Amazing talent. But the cost of acquiring him and re-signing him is going cripple is.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We’re actually fine in the position that Karlsson plays. He’d be great for us if we weren’t, but it’s not worth the cost for that marginal improvement to our overall RD/PP offense capability

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Sens expect at least one of McD or Skjei going back for EK, it must be McD to work purely money-wise. Similarly, Chytil needs to be kept at the expense of someone like Miller or Kreider in his place, again specifically to address the amount of cap space that would be needed to sign a new contract with EK

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We are? Nick Holden is on the 1st pair.
Exactly. We’re theoretically fine if Pionk and ADA work out. There’s no other RHD prospects passed them besides Sproul that even has a chance of playing NHL time.

I still think it’s our weakest link, and I’ve been saying it since I thought Petr Zamorsky would be a steal. Good thing there’s plenty of good options in the draft this year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I might consider Mcd/Anderson/2019 1st as a trade but I would not consider a 12 mill a year deal for 8 years. EK would have to sign for less money and less years.
Then the discussion for you stops right there. EK will require a max year extension and if there's a discount from $12mm, it will be maybe $0.5mm or so.

There will be more salaries that the Rangers would need to shed.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Exactly. We’re theoretically fine if Pionk and ADA work out. There’s no other RHD prospects passed them besides Sproul that even has a chance of playing NHL time.

I still think it’s our weakest link, and I’ve been saying it since I thought Petr Zamorsky would be a steal. Good thing there’s plenty of good options in the draft this year.
Good point. But even if Pionk and ADA work out, neither of them are guys I could see playing with McDonagh. Plus, for better or worse we have Smith and Staal locked up for a while, who can play 2nd and 3rd pair. It's why I would be ok trading Skjei or even McDonagh if it came down to it, for a top pairing RHD like Karlsson or Trouba. I'd still sell at the deadline, and load up on picks for this draft, but it could set us up nicely for next season and beyond.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We are? Nick Holden is on the 1st pair.
Bigger issue there is that Smith shit the bed. Shattenkirk and Karlsson on the same team is overkill. Just like Yandle and McD was. Didn’t win us a lot more games than we would have won anyways, because almost always only one of those guys can be on the ice.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Then the discussion for you stops right there. EK will require a max year extension and if there's a discount from $12mm, it will be maybe $0.5mm or so.

There will be more salaries that the Rangers would need to shed.
That salary and years would be a hard pill to swallow.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If NJ puts Prout on waivers, we should claim him. We need a solid depth RHD that actually can play defense.

Reactions: Ola

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Bigger issue there is that Smith **** the bed. Shattenkirk and Karlsson on the same team is overkill. Just like Yandle and McD was. Didn’t win us a lot more games than we would have won anyways, because almost always only one of those guys can be on the ice.
How was having Yandle and McDonagh overkill? We got knocked out in game 7 of the ECF and then got destroyed by Pitt with both of them, that's overkill?I'm not sure going after Karlsson is the best move for the Rangers at this point, but saying that he and Shattenkirk would be overkill when Karlsson is the best defenseman in the league at ES and they could both be on the same PP unit is just silly to me. I'll take having McDonagh, Karlsson, and Shattenkirk on the ice for 75% of the game or more.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
How was having Yandle and McDonagh overkill? We got knocked out in game 7 of the ECF and then got destroyed by Pitt with both of them, that's overkill?I'm not sure going after Karlsson is the best move for the Rangers at this point, but saying that he and Shattenkirk would be overkill when Karlsson is the best defenseman in the league at ES and they could both be on the same PP unit is just silly to me. I'll take having McDonagh, Karlsson, and Shattenkirk on the ice for 75% of the game or more.
But It comes at a cost to the other positions and personnel and the cap

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Why trade assets for Karlsson? Why not just wait and sign him if he wants to be here? Do we think he will give a discount if they trade for him?

The prevailing wisdom is that if Ott can't/wont sign him then they they'll trade him and the team that trades for him will get a long term contract sorted straight away. He wont actually reach FA status

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The prevailing wisdom is that if Ott can't/wont sign him then they they'll trade him and the team that trades for him will get a long term contract sorted straight away. He wont actually reach FA status

Im not sure why thats the prevailing wisdom. The prevailing wisdom, based on Karlsson's comments, is he's going to get paid what he's worth. He seems pretty gung ho at testing the market.

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but Karlsson is the exception. I'd trade the entire state of New York for Karlsson.

He might be the best player we've ever had.

Reactions: Rick Nash 61

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
We’re in no position to be sacrificing players like Skjei, Andersson, and a 1st for a player signed for another 1.5 years who’s going to command a whopping contract.

Just no.

I guess I value Karlsson higher than most but I really think if there is a non McDavid/Crosby that is worth that package it is him. Erik Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL. Yeah I guess I'm the minority but I'm fine giving Ottawa a good young LD, a good prospect that may or may not amount to anything, and a late first for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad