Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Off-season Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Is JP bringing McDavid with him? If you’re playing with a Hart Trophy nominee and best player in the sport, shouldn’t you also have good possession numbers? This team doesn’t need another winger that’s going to take minutes from their 1st and 2nd overall picks, and Kravtsov, they need a damn 2C.
According to the chart his possession stats were better than McDavid's. Not an expert but that's what the chart suggests.

Its possible that other players improve even the best player's numbers. Is McDavid, McDavid without Draisaitl?

Maybe Puljujarvi is a good possession player in his own right.

Kakko is one of the Rangers best possession players.

There's a lot of narratives that are a bit ridiculous. Player's can be good players regardless of who they play with.

Lafreniere was one of this team's best 5v5 players despite playing with inferior players. But the narrative is he's a bust.

I don't think Puljujarvi would hurt this team, financially or otherwise. He'd be a pretty solid depth piece. Adding size, speed, and possession play. He'd most likely come in at around 2mil. Better to spend on that kind of player than on Motte, who I like, but doesn't bring much potential like Puljujarvi does.

Again, I'm not suggesting we gut the farm or break the bank on him. If we can get him for Georgiev then we should.

There are questions about who kills penalties. I bet Kakko, Puljujarvi, and others could do it. Kreider was never looked at that way, neither was Zibanejad and they kill penalties fine enough.

If we can land PLD, he could probably kill penalties as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There's a wide chasm between Puljujaarvi is a dime a dozen depth player and he's a top-line power forward. If he were to be acquired, he would add another solid 2-way winger with size who is still growing in the league. He has shown decent offense and the ability to tilt the ice in terms of possession for a couple of seasons and the cost to acquire him appears to be very low. If the expectations of everyone is that he is going to come in and be a 60-70 point power forward then I think we would be disappointed. If the expectation is for him to continue to develop and be a 40-45 point 2-way power forward then he may fill a role here that is needed.

I don't see anyone here calling to trade a 1st rounder + top prospect with expectations of him taking a huge step forward. What I see are measured responses saying that he could be a nice compliment to a team full of skilled forwards and he could add a bit more size and possession mentality to a team that struggles in that area.

Again, if the price is low and the contract can be fit, he would add something to this team

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Jeff Marek talking about us as the team to get miller. Why do we want to go this route again? Another 10 milllion plus player? Why?
Just a bad idea.
marek is pandering to his vancover audience on this, nyr is a great team to attach to a rumor on this to get his audience fired up bc nyr has so many attractive assets on the team. I would take all canadian based rumors regarding canadian teams trading with big us based teams with a giant grain of salt

Reactions: bl02 and bhamill

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
There's a wide chasm between Puljujaarvi is a dime a dozen depth player and he's a top-line power forward. If he were to be acquired, he would add another solid 2-way winger with size who is still growing in the league. He has shown decent offense and the ability to tilt the ice in terms of possession for a couple of seasons and the cost to acquire him appears to be very low. If the expectations of everyone is that he is going to come in and be a 60-70 point power forward then I think we would be disappointed. If the expectation is for him to continue to develop and be a 40-45 point 2-way power forward then he may fill a role here that is needed.

I don't see anyone here calling to trade a 1st rounder + top prospect with expectations of him taking a huge step forward. What I see are measured responses saying that he could be a nice compliment to a team full of skilled forwards and he could add a bit more size and possession mentality to a team that struggles in that area.

Again, if the price is low and the contract can be fit, he would add something to this team
Right.

If he costs a late 2nd round pick, you'd be thrilled if a you drafted a guy in the 2nd round and he turned into a 35point guy who's good defensively. That's a win.

I think Edmonton will fall ass backwards into a 2nd plus B prospect for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Right.

If he costs a late 2nd round pick, you'd be thrilled if a you drafted a guy in the 2nd round and he turned into a 35point guy who's good defensively. That's a win.

I think Edmonton will fall ass backwards into a 2nd plus B prospect for him.

Yep, exactly that. And from the Rangers perspective, if Edmonton likes Georgiev, then build a deal around him and swap the two RFA's

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

If we acquire JP (im sick of trying to spell his name), you might as well trade Kakko for a center. Both guys do the same things, and while possessing the puck is nice, neither guy actually produces like they should. The Rangers real need is even strength scoring and guys who can play in traffic. Thats definitely not Kakko's game, I am still scarred by his lack of finish in Game 1 against Carolina, and judging by Puju's pedestrian scoring numbers with 2 Hart winners, I would guess its not a strength of his either.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
So is signing Copp nuts at like 5 million given the cap ?

Not sure how they fill their needs W a cheaper option

I’d entertain moving Chytil and the obvious Nemeth , Georgiev, Gauthier plus a prospect like Lundkvist
Nuts 100%

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

No Miller or Kadri there.

McMichael & Lapierre are going to get promotions for Washington to start the year. Probably smart for them to start incorporating their young players because that team is ancient.

Meanwhile, the Canucks are running out of dance partners for JTM. Doesnt seem like any team wants to trade for him as more than a rental, which benefits us. Seems like he will be the next domino to fall.

Reactions: Go Rangers

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we acquire JP (im sick of trying to spell his name), you might as well trade Kakko for a center. Both guys do the same things, and while possessing the puck is nice, neither guy actually produces like they should. The Rangers real need is even strength scoring and guys who can play in traffic. Thats definitely not Kakko's game, I am still scarred by his lack of finish in Game 1 against Carolina, and judging by Puju's pedestrian scoring numbers with 2 Hart winners, I would guess its not a strength of his either.

That's distinctly possible in the future. Or perhaps they trade Kravtsov? Or perhaps Kreider is dealt and Kravtsov slides over?

Adding a good player really isn't the concern as it opens up options...

I could see Larsson back to Washington with Backstrom scheduled back at some point. They could use the center depth and they acquired him at the deadline. It would make sense...

Reactions: McRanger92

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
NYR can't, and IMO shouldn't, pay Miller what he will want, on top of all the other caveats about him, and I think NYR would be INSANE to give up Kakko or Chytil or Schneider OR a first, especially 2023, for one year of him. Normally I'd be down for the 1st and a B prospect/second/plus, on a top rental where we have a decent shot at the Finals, but not after the spending last year.
NYR can't, and IMO shouldn't, pay Kadri what he will want.
I have no problem with NYR heading into the season with this down the middle:
Mika
Chytil
Goodrow
Rydahl
All in house already. Give 'em a chance to succeed. If needed address any shortcoming before the deadline.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
NYR can't, and IMO shouldn't, pay Miller what he will want, on top of all the other caveats about him, and I think NYR would be INSANE to give up Kakko or Chytil or Schneider OR a first, especially 2023, for one year of him. Normally I'd be down for the 1st and a B prospect/second/plus, on a top rental where we have a decent shot at the Finals, but not after the spending last year.
NYR can't, and IMO shouldn't, pay Kadri what he will want.
I have no problem with NYR heading into the season with this down the middle:
Mika
Chytil
Goodrow
Rydahl
All in house already. Give 'em a chance to succeed. If needed address any shortcoming before the deadline.

You're saying 2 different things here. You dont want them to add now because of what they gave up at the deadline last year, but you want to fill holes at next years deadline instead?

Chytil cant be the 2C next year. Doesn't play the power play, doesn't win faceoffs, doesn't PK, isn't a great defensive player, oft injured, etc. He's a speedy offensive 3C. They are asking for trouble if that's the center lineup they trot out to start the season. And not adding a center in the offseason is just kicking our problems down the road to when teams are asking crazy deadline prices and less players will be available

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Allegedly, the Rangers offered Chytil, 1st round pick and a prospect to Vancouver at the trading deadline for Miller.

The Rangers’ playoff run took trade targets off the board and one of them wouldn’t have been there at the deadline. They were willing to part with struggling centre Filip Chytil, who found his game in the playoffs, a prospect and a first-round pick. They weren’t going to deal right-shot roster defenceman Braden Schneider, a 2020 first-rounder.

However, with unrestricted free agent Ryan Strome expected to test the market, the Rangers could have a top-six void. That’s why they wanted to bring Miller back into the fold at the deadline as insurance in case Strome bolted.

Now, the Rangers can at least match the roster player, prospect and pick package to land Miller. They don’t have a first-round selection Thursday and would have to sweeten the pot beyond 2018 first-round picks in right-shot defenceman Nils Lundqvist (28th overall) and Russian winger Vitali Kravtsov (ninth overall).

Vancouver should have taken that offer if it is true for two playoff opportunities with Miller.

Nope.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What happened to Andrew "we have unfinished business here" Copp??? Come on Copper sign a 5x5 man.

Allegedly, the Rangers offered Chytil, 1st round pick and a prospect to Vancouver at the trading deadline for Miller.

Vancouver should have taken that offer if it is true for two playoff opportunities with Miller.

Nope.
Just playing devil's advocate but that was before Playoff Fil showed up. Would you have taken Chytil and a first if you were Vancouver?

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
The Rangers giving up on Chytil, who came into is own during the playoffs, for 12 months of JT Miller would be peak unpatient Rangers
Devil's advocate - we have no idea if Chytil actually came into his own during the Playoffs or if he simply had one of his random hot streaks, albeit a really well-timed one. And if he has trade value now, why potentially waste it for a ~30 point season he could potentially have this year?

Reactions: bleedblue94

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I mean you believe what gm's say publicly at this time of the year? you're smarter than that.
Is Kadri or Miller changing the fortunes of the Capitals?

The media connects players to teams without much merit. The Capitals are all of a sudden players for Kadri or Miller. I heard Elliotte Friedman say the Rangers and Caps are looking for help at center so we just link Miller to them.

All last summer the Rangers were linked to Eichel. The Rangers will land EicheL before the draft. The Rangers will try to move up in the first round from #15 and flip that pick to Buffalo for Eichel. The Rangers will add Eichel when free agency opens.

Do you really believe everything reported this time of year? More than 1/2 of the stuff "reported" is BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad