Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Off-season Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Devil's advocate - we have no idea if Chytil actually came into his own during the Playoffs or if he simply had one of his random hot streaks, albeit a really well-timed one. And if he has trade value now, why potentially waste it for a ~30 point season he could potentially have this year?

Then they need to parlay it into a long term piece, not a 1 year rental.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Is Kadri or Miller changing the fortunes of the Capitals?

The media connects players to teams without much merit. The Capitals are all of a sudden players for Kadri or Miller. I heard Elliotte Friedman say the Rangers and Caps are looking for help at center so we just link Miller to them.

All last summer the Rangers were linked to Eichel. The Rangers will land EicheL before the draft. The Rangers will try to move up in the first round from #15 and flip that pick to Buffalo for Eichel. The Rangers will add Eichel when free agency opens.

Do you really believe everything reported this time of year? More than 1/2 of the stuff "reported" is BS.
exactly, half the stuff reported either way in nonsense, regardless if it comes from insiders or from teams, but logic says backstrom is going on ltir and he may never play again despite what is being said (backstrom even hinted to this awhile ago), so you're suggesting that the caps with ovi and company still there pushing aren't going to add a center to fill that slot and use up the cap space created by the ltir? you dont actually get ltir benefit unless you are already spending to the cap so there is almost an incentive for them to spend the money this summer and then deal with backstrom later in the year IF he is able to come back. wouldnt surprise me in the least that IF he comes back it is a game 1 of the playoffs situation again. this surgery he is having is not a good one and is a brutal rehab. without another center are the caps definitely making the playoffs?

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Geo hasn’t proven to be anymore consistent than Smith or Koskinen. I wouldn’t gamble my season on “maybe he’ll look better with consistent playing time.” His soul reason for being better can’t be merely his age. If you had more of a solid starter opposite him then maybe you roll with him as a 1B for the right cost. Geo’s inconsistency with Edmonton’s defense sounds like suicide to me. He also seems to have a curious personality. I wonder how that’d come out a team that likes to run and gun, often leaving their goalie out to dry. Edmonton needs a legit proven starting goalie... who isn’t 40 year old Smith and not another dice roll. If Shesterkin wasn’t around, you would feel comfortable looking to run for a Cup with Geo with what we’ve seen thus far?

Im not advocating for Geo in any means but if you seriously think Mike Smith or Koskinen gives them a better chance than Geo idk what you were watching when Geo got starting minutes. Geos starting numbers are light years better than his backup numbers and if given the chance he may succeed. He is the best option out there thats available for Edm without having to give up much of anything. Plus yes age is a factor! Means he still has room to grow and possibly get better.

My opinion on if Igor wasnt around doesnt matter, He is and we are not in that situation. Geo actually played well when starting and was above average for our team. Our team and Edmon isnt that much different on defense lol.

So yes, if im edm i would def give Geo a chance.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
You're saying 2 different things here. You dont want them to add now because of what they gave up at the deadline last year, but you want to fill holes at next years deadline instead?

Chytil cant be the 2C next year. Doesn't play the power play, doesn't win faceoffs, doesn't PK, isn't a great defensive player, oft injured, etc. He's a speedy offensive 3C. They are asking for trouble if that's the center lineup they trot out to start the season. And not adding a center in the offseason is just kicking our problems down the road to when teams are asking crazy deadline prices and less players will be available
I'm probably saying more than 2 things here, but...
I don't want to spend top shelf assets on a RENTAL two years in a row.
I said they can address it if this center lineup doesn't do it, BEFORE the deadline, if necessary and warranted. Not AT. And not with a costly rental hopefully. The point is getting a look at what we have in house for a month or three instead of trying to fix a problem that may not be all that glaring.
Yes those are two different things, but they are not at odds.
You are entitled to your opinion of Chytil of course. But I'm willing to give the just-turned-23 year old (when the season opens) player a shot at filling that 2C spot. And if we can't properly address it this year without mortgaging the next five years after 22-23 I'm advocating NOT doing it till the off season. And there's no saying that Krav or Laf might not be able to move to the middle. I'm not saying to rely on it, or force it, but I'm willing to let the team try to address the issue from within before we do something costly.
Edit: To clarify I didn't say turn away an opportunity at a long term 2C solution, I'm opposed SPECIFICALLY to a costly rental that we can't/shouldn't re-sign, no matter the name.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Is Kadri or Miller changing the fortunes of the Capitals?

The media connects players to teams without much merit. The Capitals are all of a sudden players for Kadri or Miller. I heard Elliotte Friedman say the Rangers and Caps are looking for help at center so we just link Miller to them.

All last summer the Rangers were linked to Eichel. The Rangers will land EicheL before the draft. The Rangers will try to move up in the first round from #15 and flip that pick to Buffalo for Eichel. The Rangers will add Eichel when free agency opens.

Do you really believe everything reported this time of year? More than 1/2 of the stuff "reported" is BS.
Personally I’m not convinced the heavy Eichel rumors weren’t being used to get Zibanejad to sign a more favorable deal.

I wonder if the same thing is going on now to put pressure on Copp and or Strome. “We have other options” type of thing.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The Rangers giving up on Chytil, who came into is own during the playoffs, for 12 months of JT Miller would be peak unpatient Rangers

The best part is we had JT Miller already and traded him away for him to become the player we wanted him to become on other teams. So it would actually be completing one circle of full Rongos behavior and starting a potential new one where we'll be trading another young player to reacquire Filip Chytil in four seasons after he magically develops into a solid top six center when another team gives him real ice time, linemates and PP opportunites.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I kinda on the fence about making a PLD type investment or signing a stop gap like Stastny short term. Leaning towards stop gap so we don’t have to make 7 other salary shedding moves and run into cap issues next year.

The best part is we had JT Miller already and traded him away for him to become the player we wanted him to become on other teams. So it would actually be completing one circle of full Rongos behavior and starting a potential new one where we'll be trading another young player to reacquire Filip Chytil in four seasons after he magically develops into a solid top six center when another team gives him real ice time, linemates and PP opportunites.
Welcome to the NYR fan base!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The Rangers giving up on Chytil, who came into is own during the playoffs, for 12 months of JT Miller would be peak unpatient Rangers

I honestly can't fathom why they're ready to deal him. Isn't the perfect scenario for the Rangers to see if this guy can break out and become the 2C then lock him in for multiple years, in his prime, at a solid number like 4 to 5? Instead, they want to deal him for a potential 1 year rental or lock themselves into some horrible contract that will pay a guy more money for declining value.

Hold firm, sign low risk options that present upside in White, Stastny, etc to bolster center, and see how the first half goes. You still have your stockpile for the deadline when you have a better idea of where everyone fits and how everyone's playing. Not to mention you'll have cap space that accumulates during the season.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
4267acaefd507eb67ebd33f793faee5e9905e753f4360460aa6d0e12f978586d-852614918.jpeg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not convinced they want to move Chytil.

That noise and chatter is coming from outside of the Rangers organization from teams who would like to add him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Schedule released....we only play Isles 3x??? (2 home 1 away)

Devils 4x
Philly 3x
Pitt 4x
Wash 4x
Canes 3x
Jackets 3x

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can appreciate what you are saying and it is exactly why I dont think he would fit here and especially with panarin. panarin is a high iq, wait for lanes, patient player. I dont see JP as that kind of player. any thought of moving chytil up to 2c compounds the issue of who the rw is bc chytil is already a low iq offensive player. all that being said I am going to wait and see what happens bc I think the next 7-14 days could be quite interesting

Here we just have to disagree, I’ve seen JP show a ton of hockey IQ both at the junior level and when he returned to Finland as well as with EDM. I feel the same thing about this claim that I do about claims about Kakko and/or Laf don’t having hockey sense, having bad attitude or whatever from fans of other teams. I see issues, but not those issues at all.

The only issue I’ve seen with him in NA is the same most big bodies struggle with, his game includes shielding the puck, holding on to it, drawing attention to himself, handling that, and then using his linemates. But that is just not something you do easily in the NHL. The game is really fast, Ds are big and strong.

Your point that playing with McDavid and Drai, he got a ton of time with the puck and ice to make plays on might sound good in theory, but watch an EDM game and show one single example of when this actually happen. It’s not like I’ve seen all their games, but I never saw it happen. I saw JP doing what was asked from him which was to do the dirty work on that line and stay back defensively. I never saw McDavid enter the zone, draw attention to himself and then drop the puck back to Pulju like Nylander did to set up Jagr. I don’t think EDM would have wanted that either.

FW_oUFkXkAEADHi

Beautiful

Someone said that Malkin doesn’t solve any of our problems, but in a way he does, he saves us from making a long term commitment to someone who isn’t a fit.

Malkin on a short term deal? I don’t mind it one bit. For the very reason stated above. A bad option on a one way deal is a heck of a lot better than a bad option on a long term deal, that we can’t afford after next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm a simple and oft-confused man.
Why are there 2 active Roster Building threads?
It happens every time. BBkers always creates the new threads, but can't close the old one. One of the mods will eventually get to it.

• Haha
Reactions: mike14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad