Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Off-season Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Bo Horvat it is.

$5.5M for 1 year left on his deal. Get'em cheap, Drury!
wish this was an option, all reports are that van wants to resign him and they dont appear to be looking to make an cheap trades, but if he were available he would be a nice add for this team, especially if you could get van to retain 50 % for the coming year.

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lol Edmonton had Mike Smith and Mikko Koskinen last season. You dont think Geo is an upgrade on both of those guys?
Not really, no. I think he’s more of the same. More inconsistency. I’d be shocked if Holland who once had the likes of Osgood and Hasek goes into a season with a Georgiev/Skinner tandem.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’m not buying JT being as a perennial 80-90 point center. His game has obviously improved since he left us, but he’s coming off a huge career season that just doesn’t match his historical production. It’s not unreasonable to say he’s a 65-80 point player for the next few seasons. But he’s going to want to be paid like a 90+ point player. And, to be fair, I can’t blame him…

I also think Vancouver is looking for a return that matches that type of player as well. Considering all that, IF JT is on Drury’s short list of C’s, I hope it’s towards the bottom.

He doesnt need to score 80-90 here, but the fact that hes capable of it is a big plus. If Mika goes down at any point due to injury over the next few seasons, the Rangers are up shit's creek. That needs to be a consideration n regards to the Rangers center depth going forward.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Not really, no. I think he’s more of the same. More inconsistency. I’d be shocked if Holland who once had the likes of Osgood and Hasek goes into a season with a Georgiev/Skinner tandem.

Lol so two goalies who, mike smith their starter 40yo. Horrendous and not getting any better. Mikko is mikko and went back to where ever he was from. Both of those players are terrible. Geo at least when he gets starting time has good numbers and is still in his 26 just about to enter his prime and has yet to be given a real shot in goal. Teams need goaltending and Geo is not bad, he just sucks as a backup.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
He doesnt need to score 80-90 here, but the fact that hes capable of it is a big plus. If Mika goes down at any point due to injury over the next few seasons, the Rangers are up shit's creek. That needs to be a consideration n regards to the Rangers center depth going forward.

Its giving up the major assets to acquire him to be our #2 center for a single season and then being in the same damn hole next season with less assets to get the center we want/need. The difference is not wanting to give up two hauls two season in a row to empty the cupboard.

We dont mind giving up the assets but it has to be for a player with term.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If Puljujarvi wasn't scoring on the empty nets from McDavid and Leo than I have concerns about him scoring here with much lower offensive talents.
He had 29 even strength points. It's not like he wasn't productive. And he was one of the best possession players for Edmonton according to this:

This is like fans of other teams calling Lafreniere a bust. There's way more to the story.

I mean, we want to improve our size, speed, and possession. If we can get Puljujarvi for something around Georgiev, that's a solid addition. I don't think anyone is suggesting he's going to break the doors down and score 40 goals.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Copp 6 years @ 5.2M per

WICS3Bp.png

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lol so two goalies who, mike smith their starter 40yo. Horrendous and not getting any better. Mikko is mikko and went back to where ever he was from. Both of those players are terrible. Geo at least when he gets starting time has good numbers and is still in his 26 just about to enter his prime and has yet to be given a real shot in goal. Teams need goaltending and Geo is not bad, he just sucks as a backup.
Geo hasn’t proven to be anymore consistent than Smith or Koskinen. I wouldn’t gamble my season on “maybe he’ll look better with consistent playing time.” His soul reason for being better can’t be merely his age. If you had more of a solid starter opposite him then maybe you roll with him as a 1B for the right cost. Geo’s inconsistency with Edmonton’s defense sounds like suicide to me. He also seems to have a curious personality. I wonder how that’d come out a team that likes to run and gun, often leaving their goalie out to dry. Edmonton needs a legit proven starting goalie... who isn’t 40 year old Smith and not another dice roll. If Shesterkin wasn’t around, you would feel comfortable looking to run for a Cup with Geo with what we’ve seen thus far?

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Its giving up the major assets to acquire him to be our #2 center for a single season and then being in the same damn hole next season with less assets to get the center we want/need. The difference is not wanting to give up two hauls two season in a row to empty the cupboard.

We dont mind giving up the assets but it has to be for a player with term.

They could extend him if they feel confident Schneider can replace Trouba, and he's movable after the 2023 season. Those are questions that I don't have the answer too but nothing surprises me with player movement and NMC/NTCs anymore.

Copp 6 years @ 5.2M per

WICS3Bp.png

The missing context here is that Horvat is a true center and Copp has mostly played wing but can win faceoffs if necessary. I think if the Rangers were sold on Copp being a long term second line center, he'd be signed already.

He had 29 even strength points. It's not like he wasn't productive. And he was one of the best possession players for Edmonton according to this:

This is like fans of other teams calling Lafreniere a bust. There's way more to the story.

I mean, we want to improve our size, speed, and possession. If we can get Puljujarvi for something around Georgiev, that's a solid addition. I don't think anyone is suggesting he's going to break the doors down and score 40 goals.

Puljujaarvi doesnt excite me in the slightest but if you can get him for Georgiev and have him play on the QO next year, sign me up.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
JT wants to be paid like a 90 point player, there is no way even if they get him they’ll be able to re-sign him
True and he wasn’t exactly a glowing personality his first time around with us either. What do you get after the ink is dry? Even if you get his best, he’s looking at a contract starting at what, 30? His decline would line right up with Mika which wouldn’t be ideal. I’m also always skeptical of these major career jumps right before contract time.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Jeff Marek talking about us as the team to get miller. Why do we want to go this route again? Another 10 milllion plus player? Why?
Just a bad idea.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY

Is JP bringing McDavid with him? If you’re playing with a Hart Trophy nominee and best player in the sport, shouldn’t you also have good possession numbers? This team doesn’t need another winger that’s going to take minutes from their 1st and 2nd overall picks, and Kravtsov, they need a damn 2C.

Reactions: deathb4disco

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Great so we are gonna give up another first (maybe 2) and a player like Kakko for one year of Miller? Would be dumb of this franchise to do. We should have just really overpaid last year to get him for at least 2 playoff runs.

Theres no evidence to suggest the Rangers would do that. In fact, most of what has been speculated, here and in the media, is that a deal would be done if we were willing to include one of Kakko/Chytil/Schneider

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Great so we are gonna give up another first (maybe 2) and a player like Kakko for one year of Miller? Would be dumb of this franchise to do. We should have just really overpaid last year to get him for at least 2 playoff runs.

I think you may be overstating his value as a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad