Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
At this point I’ll be more shocking if we don’t land Kane than do .

Let’s just assume it’s happening.

I have a bad feeling Kakko Cuylie #1 gone .

I doubt Lafrenniere.

And let’s hope TD Drury doesn’t deal Othman .
Geezus, bud. That deal is awful, I think McRanger is closer to on the money here. Kane isn't getting much more than a 2nd from anyone, including us.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Don't really see the point in renting higher-tier top-six guys. If there's someone with a couple years left on a deal for that open RW spot? Something to be looked at. Beyond that I don't think it's worth spending the currency to get a Kane, Tarasenko, etc.

Someone who can be a bit more of a creator with Kreider and Vinny. Love the Tomasino idea. A LD depth guy. Call it a day.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Cozens 7 years/7.1mil AAV extension. If Chytil is willing to sign for that long id offer it to him today. Save money in the long run.
I felt crazy seeing Cozens get that... but when you put it that way, I'd definitely invest that in Fil. Then you could hopefully get Key/Laff/Kakko after the raise in Cap. Someone still has to go somewhere but I'd almost rather be making that investment in Fil than the one where we trade and sign for Meier.

Reactions: Ruggs225

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The framework of a Patrick Kane deal is basically the Giroux deal. And no way we would include Kakko in such a trade (or Drury should be fired on the spot). But I can see one of the 1st and say Jones gone.

Not sure I would pay that price.
Maybe if Giroux was injured the way Kane is (or more acurately Kane was as healthy as Giroux) that might have been true. THIS Kane is not getting that deal. I mean if Drury does that he should be fired.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
At this point I’ll be more shocking if we don’t land Kane than do .

Let’s just assume it’s happening.

I have a bad feeling Kakko Cuylie #1 gone .

I doubt Lafrenniere.

And let’s hope TD Drury doesn’t deal Othman .

The Rangers are trading Kakko, let alone adding Cuyylie and a 1st for a gimped 34 year old player that needs surgery in the off season.

Drury isn't pulling that trigger for a litany of reasons but I'll give you one biggie - we're thin already at RW so Drury isn't moving our best RW for a RW rental to go into next offseason with TWO RW slots to fill.

A 2nd+ a prospect is as far as it should go.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The framework of a Patrick Kane deal is basically the Giroux deal. And no way we would include Kakko in such a trade (or Drury should be fired on the spot). But I can see one of the 1st and say Jones gone.

Not sure I would pay that price.

Giroux was playing well before his trade. Kane isn't. Unless the Rangers scouts just sit on their hands and binge Netflix it should be VERY evident that Patrick Kane is not healthy and not worthy of even a 2nd round pick.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Giroux was also a lot better when he was traded than Kane is now.

Unless some of you guys are right and Dolan decides to get his hands dirty here, I really don't think Kane is a realistic option. People want to point to what they think are obvious signs that there is Ranger interest but if we've seen anything, Kane is pretty much the opposite of what Drury wants to and has acquired (for better or for worse). His "chemistry" with Panarin is overrated, Panarin's best years have come away from Kane. Not to mention neither of them are the same players now that they were back in 2016.

His hip issues are not a secret. No one is paying top dollar for damaged goods that may not even make it through the rest of the season. B prospect and a conditional 1st unless he shows more the next few weeks and even then maybe not.

Tarasenko is going to be the guy unless they go nuts for Meier (who I'm sure is who they really want but there are obstacles in the way of that beyond trade assets but who knows, maybe they don't give a f***?)

If it is Tara, lets hope he goes on a heater this spring.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

As for rentals, a name that comes to mind is Patrick Kane if he sees Dallas as a fit. The reason I mention him is that if he decides he wants to wave his no-move and pick a team or two, the Blackhawks may not get the return some people think. Remember that the Bruins got Taylor Hall for a second-round pick two years ago at the deadline; the player had the no-move which limited the Sabres’ ability to max out on return.

It’s not even clear yet if Kane wants to move, or if his health becomes a factor or not, but that’s just an example of a situation where if Nill is super patient, it could be a deal that comes to him at a more reasonable price.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let say the Rangers trade for Kane and make it to the 2nd round. Kane then has hip surgery in the off-season. What is the timetable for return? 6 months? What type of contract is a freshly off hip surgery 34 year old skill winger getting on the open market?

There are rumors that Kane wants a trade somewhere that he can re-sign and stick around. Would he take a team friendly deal, say, with 3 year term? What cap hit would be he be agreeable to knowing that next season may be a bit of a struggle getting back up to speed coming off major surgery?

If Kane is serious about sticking around on a team friendly deal, I'd consider trading for him. I'm not moving Kravtsov, Cuylle or either 1st but I could be swayed to move Jones. My question is really, what type of contract is he willing to have moving forward and could the Rangers make that work?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Giroux was also a lot better when he was traded than Kane is now.

Unless some of you guys are right and Dolan decides to get his hands dirty here, I really don't think Kane is a realistic option. People want to point to what they think are obvious signs that there is Ranger interest but if we've seen anything, Kane is pretty much the opposite of what Drury wants to and has acquired (for better or for worse). His "chemistry" with Panarin is overrated, Panarin's best years have come away from Kane. Not to mention neither of them are the same players now that they were back in 2016.

His hip issues are not a secret. No one is paying top dollar for damaged goods that may not even make it through the rest of the season. B prospect and a conditional 1st unless he shows more the next few weeks and even then maybe not.

Tarasenko is going to be the guy unless they go nuts for Meier (who I'm sure is who they really want but there are obstacles in the way of that beyond trade assets but who knows, maybe they don't give a f***?)

If it is Tara, lets hope he goes on a heater this spring.

The appeal of Tarasenko, to me, is his potential to get hot in the playoffs. Like Gaborik for LAK once upon a time.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have 0 issue trading for Kane if its going to be second rounder and a expendable piece like Bjork was for Boston. Even with the injury.

I do.

He's terrible, hobbled and is going to enable Panarin to be the worst version of himself.

Now I'm not saying you're going there, but I know someone else will so I'll say this now: I don't want to hear the "oh he's going to be rejuvenated playing for a chance to win!" He's literally playing on one leg. He wouldn't have been impactful on one leg in the middle of his prime.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I do.

He's terrible, hobbled and is going to enable Panarin to be the worst version of himself.

Now I'm not saying you're going there, but I know someone else will so I'll say this now: I don't want to hear the "oh he's going to be rejuvenated playing for a chance to win!" He's literally playing on one leg. He wouldn't have been impactful on one leg in the middle of his prime.
Yeah the injury is kinda the fly in the ointment. I think Meier & Tank are higher on Drury's wishlist

Reactions: IDvsEGO

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let's assume Kane is brought in, I don't see him playing with Panarin.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Vesey
Lafreniere-Chytil-Kaako
Kreider-Trocheck-Kane
Cuylle-Goodrow-Blais

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Let say the Rangers trade for Kane and make it to the 2nd round. Kane then has hip surgery in the off-season. What is the timetable for return? 6 months? What type of contract is a freshly off hip surgery 34 year old skill winger getting on the open market?

There are rumors that Kane wants a trade somewhere that he can re-sign and stick around. Would he take a team friendly deal, say, with 3 year term? What cap hit would be he be agreeable to knowing that next season may be a bit of a struggle getting back up to speed coming off major surgery?

If Kane is serious about sticking around on a team friendly deal, I'd consider trading for him. I'm not moving Kravtsov, Cuylle or either 1st but I could be swayed to move Jones. My question is really, what type of contract is he willing to have moving forward and could the Rangers make that work?

If Kane needs hip surgery with a recovery time of 6 months why would he possible play through this season and harm his contract for next year instead of just getting it done now and being ready to go in October? He's on one of the worst teams in the league. He's going to cost himself millions so he can do the Blackhawks a favor to get some assets?

Reactions: Daves a mess

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah the injury is kinda the fly in the ointment. I think Meier & Tank are higher on Drury's wishlist

Yeah and Dru can't neglect the other areas of the team as well.

One of the more underrated blunders Slats made while he was GM was star chasing Nash at the 2012 deadline to the point where he forgot to do anything else. If they had landed a defenseman at the TDL they wouldn't have had to play the entire playoffs with basically 5 D and they make it to the finals where they probably get smoked by the Kings, but they would have gotten there.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yeah and Dru can't neglect the other areas of the team as well.

One of the more underrated blunders Slats made while he was GM was star chasing Nash at the 2012 deadline to the point where he forgot to do anything else. If they had landed a defenseman at the TDL they wouldn't have had to play the entire playoffs with basically 5 D and they make it to the finals where they probably get smoked by the Kings, but they would have gotten there.

If they got there in 2012 they win in 2014 so im with you there

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Something about Tarasenko tells me that: a) with the chip on his shoulder with how his time is ending in St. Louis after his run of being a premier goal scorer in this league for them, b) to that point he has actual world class elite talent that could mesh well with Art and Mika as a sniper and c) he's only 31 so its more than fair to say you're catching the end of his window with elite ability... all those things make him easily the best investment for this team going forward.

It feels like they need some back up going into playoffs so they can grow a bit more with experience instead of getting shell shocked in 4 in round 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad