Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Imagine thinking Trocheck's 5.625M is the problem when we spend 19.6M on two players that do not play up to those numbers

Reactions: skipmowerman

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Theres undervaluing Nemchinov and then there's dramatically overvaluing Nemchinov. He was a great player, an ideal 3C. He was not one of the top Cs of the best C depth we had in 82 years. :laugh:

Show me the better C depth since that team. I didn’t say anything about our center depth before then so I think you misread that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Give him better linemates. You've got Goodrow as his feed.

He is playing with a top 10 center in the league currently, and Vesey is not the slouch hes made out to be. Panarin's most impactful years as a NYR had Jesper Fast & Colin Blackwell as his primary wingers. I do think theyll try to add Tarasenko or Kane

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
People are acting like the center depth the team has is abnormal or a bad thing. Let's look at % of cap allocated to centers:

22-23
Zibanejad + Trochek + Chytil + Brodz/Leschyshyn = $17.191667m
Salary Cap = $82,500,000
20.8% of the cap allocated to the center group

23-24
Zibanejad + Trochek + Chytil + Brodz/Leschyshyn = $19.891m
- Assuming Chytil makes $5m
Salary Cap = $83,500,000
23.8% of the cap allocated to centers

Considering the center ice position is one of THE most important positions on the team and the (3) major player there are driving offense and playing in all situations. It's not that outlandish of a cap allocation...
I looked at something similar about a week or 2 ago to see if the Rangers would be an outlier if Chytil got 5 million. They would not be, both in terms of playoff teams and the entire league. A good center ice lineup runs in the neighborhood of $20 million. Give or take.

Z > Chytil > Trocheck > Brod/Les is the way to go. Very solid and stable lineup, as well as versatile. The kind of depth that makes your team a difficult matchup.

Reactions: NYR Viper

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
With the kid line in tact, all the Rangers really need is a RW to push Goodrow to the 4th line and a LD to push Harpur out of the lineup for good. Whether that RW plays with Kreider-Trocheck or Panarin-ZIbanejad doesn't really matter.

The problem with this is I don't think it bumps leshitshow out.

I'm sure that they'll grab Tarasenko and play him with Panarin and Zibanejad and that will bump Vesey down (which is fine) but it doesn't drop Leshitshow from the equation.

The first order of business should be finding someone to actually fill 4C. It seems like these days every line holds their own except for the 4th line and Leshitshow is the main reason why thats the case.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The russian players in general come over not in shape for an nhl game, Buchnevich even if everyone forgets was the same way and it took him some time to get his strength, was even called out for it much like Kravtsov in the media. It's not to say he isn't in shape, but you need to be stronger for the nhl game vs Khl. If Kravtsov had followed the CHL route instead of KHL you might have a point but these kids need to find out the hard way when they get here and it takes time after they do. Lundkvist even though not a Khl player was a casualty of the same thing.

Russian training....AV specifically mentioned it when Buchnevich was first starting. Ignoring who did what and why he left, he needed to be in north america, he's basically a rookie this year so quoting his age is almost irrelevant.
Please stop making excuses for the kid. Quoting his age is still relevant. He has been here in year’s past. He has been to previous camps. Did he not see what was ahead of him and what was needed to take the next step? Was he that incompetent? As an 18 year old in my first collegiate camp, I could see right away I was behind in strength and development looking at the sophomores, juniors, seniors and would need to put on weight and muscle. Could he not draw those same conclusions.

I like Kravstov. I think he has talent and that there still could be a quality future in the NHL. But man some of you make so many excuses for this “kid” who is now 23 years old. There is something to be said about taking some ownership of one’s own shortcomings.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I'm warmed up to the idea of a Tarasenko rental, don't get in deep with a cost with St Louis. If you want another depth piece look elsewhere. Tank is a good get to pair with Art-Mika up top and help push everyone down a line.

Harpur doesn't get me going like other people, I think he's serviceable. He looks like a 6D to me, but I'm not going to be mad if they find another Braun and shore up that spot a little more. Schneider to me is getting better still every game. Give me Tarasenko and a 6D maybe, hold onto as many assets as possible (especially the 1sts - hellooooooo Filip Chytil).

That's the ideal deadline.

Reactions: Daves a mess

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The problem with this is I don't think it bumps leshitshow out.

I'm sure that they'll grab Tarasenko and play him with Panarin and Zibanejad and that will bump Vesey down (which is fine) but it doesn't drop Leshitshow from the equation.

The first order of business should be finding someone to actually fill 4C. It seems like these days every line holds their own except for the 4th line and Leshitshow is the main reason why thats the case.
Goodrow would become the 4th line center. I don't see them moving him to the wing on the 4th line. I don't think even the Rangers can justify keeping Jake in the lineup moving forward the guy is terrible.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
With the kid line in tact, all the Rangers really need is a RW to push Goodrow to the 4th line and a LD to push Harpur out of the lineup for good. Whether that RW plays with Kreider-Trocheck or Panarin-ZIbanejad doesn't really matter.
Tank or LaBanc?

landing both would give us crazy depth...

or a Tank and ROR trade

Laffy Chytil Kakko
Panarin Zibs Tank
Kreider ROR Trocheck
Blais Goodrow Vesey

or

Laffy Chytil Kakko
Panarin Zibs Tank
Kreider Trocheck LaBanc
Blais Goodrow Vesey

Kravtsov, Jones + 2nd for Forwards.

Then mid pick for a defender like Braun

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
MY CURRENT NYR 2023 PLAYOFFS LINEUP
Panarin - Zib - Tank (50%)
Laf - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Trocheck - Barbashev or Domi (likely with some retainment)
Vesey - Goodrow - Watson or Bjugstad (or Motte)
Spare - Kravtsov (or maybe Tomasino - if dealt straight up for The Chosen One)

Lindy - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Mätää (50%) - Schneider
Spare - Harpur

Czar
Backup - Halak

Black Aces
Brodziński - Carpenter - Leschyshyn
Cuylle - Rydahl - Othmann

Depth D Pickup? (perhaps something like Beaulieau for Hajek - or maybe keep Hajek)
Robertsson
Welinski

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm warmed up to the idea of a Tarasenko rental, don't get in deep with a cost with St Louis. If you want another depth piece look elsewhere. Tank is a good get to pair with Art-Mika up top and help push everyone down a line.

Harpur doesn't get me going like other people, I think he's serviceable. He looks like a 6D to me, but I'm not going to be mad if they find another Braun and shore up that spot a little more. Schneider to me is getting better still every game. Give me Tarasenko and a 6D maybe, hold onto as many assets as possible (especially the 1sts - hellooooooo Filip Chytil).

That's the ideal deadline.

I think how aggressive their Metro rivals are will affect how aggressive Drury will be in making adds. If CAR or NJD trade for Meier i think the Rangers NEED to get Tarasenko (or another scoring winger). I think there will be an arms race in the east. Every team wants to get to Boston's level and/or differentiate themselves from the pack and the outside looking in Islanders trading for the biggest fish is the first volley.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I cant stand reading this crap about why Panarin isnt firing on all cylinders. Its not his linemates. Weve done that for years now. Its him. Stop giving Panarin excuses. Panarin is the problem.
Yes one of our two >PPG players is "the problem".

yqxwhfh1kdj9btn74hkt.jpg

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Who would work better with Zibs and Panarin?

LaBanc?
or
Tank?

So this is a complicated answer to a simple question.

If given the choice in a vacuum, it's Tarasenko. But if you're telling me there is a way to fit Labanc in and what I am assuming the difference in costs will be between the two players, it's Labanc. Admittedly, I don't like rentals ever so getting a player signed for a few years intrigues me more.

Yes one of our two >PPG players is "the problem".

View attachment 646849

You yourself said he's not firing on all cylinders. So there is a problem there by your own admission

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Cozens 7 years/7.1mil AAV extension. If Chytil is willing to sign for that long id offer it to him today. Save money in the long run.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
So this is a complicated answer to a simple question.

If given the choice in a vacuum, it's Tarasenko. But if you're telling me there is a way to fit Labanc in and what I am assuming the difference in costs will be between the two players, it's Labanc. Admittedly, I don't like rentals ever so getting a player signed for a few years intrigues me more.

You yourself said he's not firing on all cylinders. So there is a problem there by your own admission
So to improve the output of a player that is already better than most in the league, do you get better line mates for that player or do you remove their contract and start over? Which option is most likely to result in higher overall output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad