Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we waive Reaves, who's 'that guy'?

We don't necessarily need it right now but things change when the biggest kid in the yard isn't on your team.

How about not even saying the 'biggest kid', just 'a kid'. Who else on this team is willing to step in for a teammate regularly? Schneider and Goodrow have done it before. Kreider maybe when the mood suits him. Trouba will defend himself.

If the plan is to jettison Reaves, grabbing someone else, such as, gulp here comes @Ola, perhaps Boko Imama to shuttle between the AHL and NHL might not be a bad idea. I'd love to find a younger, hungrier guy who didn't mind getting his nose dirty and could play a regular shift but they're hard to find

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
If we drop Reaves can we please not fill that roster spot with another player who can't play.

Bring up Brodzinski.

Reactions: RagFinMet

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

We don't necessarily need it right now but things change when the biggest kid in the yard isn't on your team.
Every game he doesn't dress he's not that guy. We don't play teams often enough to dress him next time to get even anyway. And he doesn't do that as it is. He doesn't deter anything. Guys don't HAVE to fight like in the old days and Reaves won't just go jump someone. It has to be organized, everyone standing and bowing and tipping the cap, circles round and round then grapple. Yeah once this year he got in some good shots but no one is deterred from hitting Rangers. It's a different league, he's a dinosaur. Let him join a pregame show somewhere.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we part with Reaves, I hope he gets an opportunity. I'm glad it's not here, that much I'll admit, but I hope he gets one.

He genuinely is nice to have around, even if I prefer it's not on the ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Chytil and Lindgren both took headshots this year and Reaves was in both games.

What exactly is the biggest kid in the yard doing if preventing stuff like that evidently isn't a thing?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Personally id get rid of blais and reaves and call up Rydahl or Cuylee. Rydahl/cuylee are better than both reaves and blais (blais still hasnt scored a goal with nyr in 28 games), theyd allow us to accrue a bunch of cap space by the deadline and make the team better. Rydahl and cuylee can both chuck em too if need be.

If you dump reaves and blais you load up on about $7mm in cap space for deadline AND the team gets better

For now
Kreider-zib-vesey
Bread-trocheck-krav
Kids
Rydahl-carpenter-goodrow
goat

Lindy-fox
Miller-trouba
Hajek-schneider
Jones

This makes the team better for now and also allows us to trade for patty kane at the deadline where he then slots into 2nd line RW with bread and trocheck. Kane with half retained for Krav, 2022 Dallas 1st, 2023 2nd that turns to 1st if Rangers make ECF (and anyone that says this isnt enough just look to the giroux trade last year). Then we could also fit nick holden for a 3rd and send jones down to hartford

Reactions: Synergy27

fm

Jul 28, 2016
How about somebody to bring some speed and energy to our 4th line? Like a cheap, young-ish vet on a 1 year deal. Thinking about guys like Motte in Ottawa or Hunt in Colorado.

• Haha
Reactions: RagFinMet

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I think Blais is a lower profile, less wacky version of the Kravtsov thing, where you kind of shrug your shoulders and say "what can you do," you let him struggle through it and maybe by the end of the season you have a depth piece who can help you win games. He's been better in the past couple weeks.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
How about somebody to bring some speed and energy to our 4th line? Like a cheap, young-ish vet on a 1 year deal. Thinking about guys like Motte in Ottawa or Hunt in Colorado.
Motte is gonna likely be dealt at the deadline. Its like kinda likely we pursue him again haha. Hes having a great year.

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chytil and Lindgren both took headshots this year and Reaves was in both games.

What exactly is the biggest kid in the yard doing if preventing stuff like that evidently isn't a thing?
There is theoretical weight classes.

I don’t know why pasta wasn’t dumped on by guys like Goodrow, Blais or Kreider.

There needs to be consequences and repercussions for “dirty” plays. Reaves was predominantly brought in for one heavyweight that had tormented the Rangers. In that sense, his tenure here was a success. Tom Wilson was p***yfooting around the ice last few times we played him.

There are not that many heavyweights left, that’s why Reaves is borderline useless. We’d need a strong middleweight-light heavyweights.

Someone in a Prust mold would be nice.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Personally id get rid of blais and reaves and call up Rydahl or Cuylee. Rydahl/cuylee are better than both reaves and blais (blais still hasnt scored a goal with nyr in 28 games), theyd allow us to accrue a bunch of cap space by the deadline and make the team better. Rydahl and cuylee can both chuck em too if need be.

If you dump reaves and blais you load up on about $7mm in cap space for deadline AND the team gets better

For now
Kreider-zib-vesey
Bread-trocheck-krav
Kids
Rydahl-carpenter-goodrow
goat

Lindy-fox
Miller-trouba
Hajek-schneider
Jones

This makes the team better for now and also allows us to trade for patty kane at the deadline where he then slots into 2nd line RW with bread and trocheck. Kane with half retained for Krav, 2022 Dallas 1st, 2023 2nd that turns to 1st if Rangers make ECF (and anyone that says this isnt enough just look to the giroux trade last year). Then we could also fit nick holden for a 3rd and send jones down to hartford
I'm fine with giving Rydahl a look.

I doubt they give up on Blais this early. It's 'Drury's guy'.. He can be effective but he's no where near the level he was playing at pre-injury. The issue is a major injury like that can take a year or so to get 'back into it'.

If Jones isn't going to show he can hang as 3LD, as decent as Hajek has been, I'd go after a Carson Soucy type. We'll see how he looks tonight

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
We should trade for Connor McDavid
yes good idea. Reaves and 2 1sts should do it.

If we part with Reaves, I hope he gets an opportunity. I'm glad it's not here, that much I'll admit, but I hope he gets one.

He genuinely is nice to have around, even if I prefer it's not on the ice.
Agree with this. Reaves is such a good dude. Hope he stick around somewhere

Reactions: Idlerlee

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Reaves will be on TNT. If ESPN was smart they'd try to get him and copy TNT's model.

but the guy I'd be willing to add is someone like Tanner Jeannot.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I'm fine with giving Rydahl a look.

I doubt they give up on Blais this early. It's 'Drury's guy'.. He can be effective but he's no where near the level he was playing at pre-injury. The issue is a major injury like that can take a year or so to get 'back into it'.

If Jones isn't going to show he can hang as 3LD, as decent as Hajek has been, I'd go after a Carson Soucy type. We'll see how he looks tonight
Were gonna keep blais solely due to the sunk cost fallacy. Just let his ass go. We got hosed in the buch trade, time to move on. His cap space accruing is far more valuable than he is

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What would Blais return as far as 2023 draft compensation? A third?

I like him as part of a fourth line with Reaves out of the lineup but I’d be fine with cap space and a decent pick in a good draft as well.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Dropping Reaves leaves this team with the same void it had prior to Reaves being on the squad. They got pushed around. Goalies got run. Best players on the team got the crap knocked out of them. Reaves was a huge part on this team coming together last season.

Better to sit him vs clubs that aren't physical.

If they do drop him they need to add someone to replace him. Team plays bigger as a whole with him. Cant blame the slow start on him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad