Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Do you actually trust Labanc to play here? He's been a routine healthy scratch lately in San Jose. All coaches are very similar. I assume Gallant will have the same issues with him as Quinn and you'll see the same deployment and scratches.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So to improve the output of a player that is already better than most in the league, do you get better line mates for that player or do you remove their contract and start over? Which option is most likely to result in higher overall output?

Where did I say I wanted to remove the player? Panarin has been tried with Zibanejad, Chytil and Trochek. This isn't the years of Christensen we all saw with Gaborik or Dubinsky centering Jagr. All three of those players have actually played BETTER without Panarin at even strength.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I’m not sure I see a way for Kravtsov to regain any relevance here. If there is a market for him, I expect he will be moved for reinforcements. One way or another, he may be a Shark soon.
People probably read this and jump to thinking (hoping) Meier, but I think Barabanov (maybe even with some retention) is much more realistic

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Fair. Let's not waste the considerable investment and give him better line support than Vesey or Goodrow.
Im not saying that, but sometimes two players are more than the sum of their parts.
Panarin and strome led to panarin being a 100pt player.
Panarin without strome appears to be a 85pt player. (which is what he was pre UFA deal)

Is an 85 point player bad? Nope. But its also not going to carry a team to the cup.

Am I willing to sacrifice in other aspects of the lineup to get panarin to 100 points? Nope.

People probably read this and jump to thinking (hoping) Meier, but I think Barabanov (maybe even with some retention) is much more realistic
I mean Grier worked for the rangers org for a bit, so he's fairly familiar with our system especially kratsov.
The downside is Quinn is also familiar with kratsov.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Zac Jones + 2024 2nd for Tarasenko 50%
Kravstov + 2023 3rd for Barabanov 50% (signed next year as well, current cap hit 2.5 mil)
Kulikov for 2023 5th

Panarin Zib Tank
Laf Chytil Kakko
Kreider Tro Barabanov
Blais Goodrow Vesey

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Kulikov Schneider

Reactions: Dijock94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zac Jones + 2024 2nd for Tarasenko 50%
Kravstov + 2023 3rd for Barabanov 50% (signed next year as well, current cap hit 2.5 mil)
Kulikov for 2023 5th

Panarin Zib Tank
Laf Chytil Kakko
Kreider Tro Barabanov
Blais Goodrow Vesey

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Kulikov Schneider
If we're giving up that much, I'd want LaBanc...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Woah, I wouldn't be giving him 7M.
Well, going to go down like Buchnevich then. Finally develop a homegrown forward and then trade him because you don't want to pay him.

Chytils numbers are better than Panarin and Mika right now if you are considering how they are mostly EVP. I'm telling you, getting him for 7ish million for max term would be a bargain going forward.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Kravtsov needs time, his temper tantrum last year cost him a season of building strength and adjustment to NA ice. Trading him at the low value that he currently sits serves no purpose to the organization, particularly for a rental. At least with Andersson, the team was able to recoup a long term asset. I would much rather just earmark him for 10-15 more games this year, and get him in the gym with a trainer. Let him experience playoff NHL hockey from the stands and fill in for injuries and then assess his value at the draft. His next contract will certainly be a 1 year, cheap deal. With an off-season of core strength building, the kid could look like a completely different player next year.
Yeah. I'm still convinced that he could easily b a 50pt player, with Mika like defense, once he grows into his frame. Regardless of if he's here (hopefully) next year or elsewhere, he HAS to use this off season to gain strength and at least a little bulk, you can get stronger without more weight, but I think he can add some mass without hurting his quickness and frankly he gets run over like a baby deer right now. Some substance will make that less glaring.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well, going to go down like Buchnevich then. Finally develop a homegrown forward and then trade him because you don't want to pay him.

Chytils numbers are better than Panarin and Mika right now if you are considering how they are mostly EVP. I'm telling you, getting him for 7ish million for max term would be a bargain going forward.
I'm still nervous about his injury concerns. I'd be ok with 5.5M for 5-8 years.

Reactions: Daves a mess

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's going to be a 1 or 3 year deal for Chytil.

Maybe, if we're lucky, we can squeak out 3years x $4.5M

1x4M sounds more likely. Gonna kick the can down the road

Reactions: Avery16

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Logan Stanley was discussed a while back. He's been passed on the depth chart in Winnipeg and in terms of playing style and role, he's be almost a direct upgrade on Harpur. He's also someone they could grow a bit and keep around to help solidify the 3rd pairing as he's 24.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
That’s criminally underrating Nemchinov - which happened his entire career. MacTavish filled a role that really doesn’t exist anymore. Eddie O didn’t play in the playoffs.

Maybe you can argue Messier / Gretzky in 97 but after that? Crickets.
Gretzky literally told me face to face that they didn't win in 1997 because Nemchinov wasn't able to play vs Philly in the playoffs and also had lost his mother just before.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Theres undervaluing Nemchinov and then there's dramatically overvaluing Nemchinov. He was a great player, an ideal 3C. He was not one of the top Cs of the best C depth we had in 82 years. :laugh:

You DO remember that Kovalev centered Larmer and Tikkanen, right? Out of our four centers, 3 played over a thousand games and Nemchinov, the “weak link”, played 750+. Still waiting for the group that was better than that post ‘94.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Labanc is a higher energy support player with good speed and decent hands. My concern with him is health.

He and Conor Garland are similar in my mind. Both are overpaid in terms of cap hit so both would require retention.

Reactions: bobbop

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
At this point I’ll be more shocking if we don’t land Kane than do .

Let’s just assume it’s happening.

I have a bad feeling Kakko Cuylie #1 gone .

I doubt Lafrenniere.

And let’s hope TD Drury doesn’t deal Othman .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
At this point I’ll be more shocking if we don’t land Kane than do .

Let’s just assume it’s happening.

I have a bad feeling Kakko Cuylie #1 gone .

I doubt Lafrenniere.

And let’s hope TD Drury doesn’t deal Othman .

Try Gauthier and a conditional 2nd maybe. What evidence have the Rangers given that they would offer anything close to what you are saying

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Try Gauthier and a conditional 2nd maybe. What evidence have the Rangers given that they would offer anything close to what you are saying
The framework of a Patrick Kane deal is basically the Giroux deal. And no way we would include Kakko in such a trade (or Drury should be fired on the spot). But I can see one of the 1st and say Jones gone.

Not sure I would pay that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad