Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2022-23): The Puck is Prepared to be Mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Something about Tarasenko tells me that: a) with the chip on his shoulder with how his time is ending in St. Louis after his run of being a premier goal scorer in this league for them, b) to that point he has actual world class elite talent that could mesh well with Art and Mika as a sniper and c) he's only 31 so its more than fair to say you're catching the end of his window with elite ability... all those things make him easily the best investment for this team going forward.

It feels like they need some back up going into playoffs so they can grow a bit more with experience instead of getting shell shocked in 4 in round 1 or 2.

He makes so much sense for this roster. The Rangers arent going in to the playoffs as a young upstart, we're going in with a a deep run of experience. Reinforcing what the team knows with a veteran Cup winner who can put the puck in the net in buckets will be enormous when we go up against a team of young upstarts in Round 1.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
At this point I’ll be more shocking if we don’t land Kane than do .

Let’s just assume it’s happening.

I have a bad feeling Kakko Cuylie #1 gone .

I doubt Lafrenniere.

And let’s hope TD Drury doesn’t deal Othman .

For an expiring asset That's the kind of deal that GM's should be fired for immediately.

Kane 34 Yrs old $10,500,000 Cap Hit expiring this season
2022-23CHIReg4592534-2610882140001506.010100.019:48

Kakko 21 Yrs old. $2,100,000 Cap Hit through 2024.
2022-23NYRReg5091524982121020018111.11325.015:53

Reactions: Kocur26

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
LOL I'm getting too old

Jesus. My bad.
This was nice of Gretzky anyways. Karpovstev (RIP) would have definitely made a difference, but we'd lost Kovalev and Sundstrom to injuries as well. Had Christian Dube taking face-offs against Lindros. Its Smith's fault for gutting the 1995 team with Ferraro/Norstrom/Laperriere/LaFayette for Kurri/McSorley/Churla.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kane is at $10.5M. 50%. $5.25 is still expensive. The Rangers will need a 3rd team. Too expensive for a player with one good leg. Elliotte Friedman said on 32T some players don't like the three team scenario. The player gets traded to a team as a rental and they sign with another team in the summer. Horvat was relieved the Islanders gave him the money. I heard Dreger on Toronto radio today discuss the same thing with the three team scenario when discussing Kane and Toews. They don't want to move their families twice. If they move, they would prefer a contract extension in place. Good luck.

Kane is such a horrible idea.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
1675799891922.png

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Kane is a horrible idea. I can't imagine though that it's going to be move to team A (relocate family) then he is sent somewhere again. That seems silly to me that professional insiders even talk about it lol.

Just seems like it would only be logical to call a third team in and move them to retain with a subsequent move to pass him right along.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kane is at $10.5M. 50%. $5.25 is still expensive. The Rangers will need a 3rd team. Too expensive for a player with one good leg. Elliotte Friedman said on 32T some players don't like the three team scenario. The player gets traded to a team as a rental and they sign with another team in the summer. Horvat was relieved the Islanders gave him the money. I heard Dreger on Toronto radio today discuss the same thing with the three team scenario when discussing Kane and Toews. They don't want to move their families twice. If they move, they would prefer a contract extension in place. Good luck.

Kane is such a horrible idea.

I dont think Kane is getting traded at all. None of the contenders are going to deal for him AND extend him. He is better off having surgery and being healthy for next season. A 1 year extension with Chicago at a lower number is probably best for all parties.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Meier is not going to fetch more than Horvat. He just won't. He's a winger, and QO is just a big risk.

Reactions: bhamill

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Meier will get that if a team can extend him. The Rangers cant barring something unforeseen. Can the Devils? They need to pay Bratt. The Canes dont usually make trades like this, but maybe they are getting desperate for star power? Sabres seem content to give their future cap space to their own players, rightfully so. Penguins arent trading their first per Hextall. Is Grier willing to let this drag into the summer?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So a 1st, one of Chytil/Kakko/Laff, then 2 of Berard/Kravtsov/Otthman/etc. Feel like that's a pass.

No that would be a 1st, Othmann and 2 of Jones/Cuylle/Berard/Sykora/BMB/Robertson (if Grier/Moorehouse like him enough)

Like thats still probably a no since theres almost no way that hes anything but a rental.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Labanc is a higher energy support player with good speed and decent hands. My concern with him is health.

He and Conor Garland are similar in my mind. Both are overpaid in terms of cap hit so both would require retention.
Even with 50% retention, he costs too much for us to fit unless we move someone. And is he really that good? He had that one year where he scored 56 points. Since then, he has 92 points in 191 games.
Let say the Rangers trade for Kane and make it to the 2nd round. Kane then has hip surgery in the off-season. What is the timetable for return? 6 months? What type of contract is a freshly off hip surgery 34 year old skill winger getting on the open market?

There are rumors that Kane wants a trade somewhere that he can re-sign and stick around. Would he take a team friendly deal, say, with 3 year term? What cap hit would be he be agreeable to knowing that next season may be a bit of a struggle getting back up to speed coming off major surgery?

If Kane is serious about sticking around on a team friendly deal, I'd consider trading for him. I'm not moving Kravtsov, Cuylle or either 1st but I could be swayed to move Jones. My question is really, what type of contract is he willing to have moving forward and could the Rangers make that work?
We'd have to move Goodrow and give Kane his contract. If he wants any more than that (and he probably does), it won't work.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
So literally the exact same headline as 3 weeks ago

No that would be a 1st, Othmann and 2 of Jones/Cuylle/Berard/Sykora/BMB/Robertson (if Grier/Moorehouse like him enough)

Like thats still probably a no since theres almost no way that hes anything but a rental.
You'd basically be renting him and if/when we can't find the cap space to keep him we would be trading him to hopefully recoup the 2 of the B prospects, maybe get lucky and get a deferred 1st in 2024 or 2025

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
@Bacon Artemi Bravo hey do you have a link to that? I know Sheng Peng is a San Jose beat writer but cannot find it anywhere.

Actually a week old but yeah that's what he said

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thanks man appreciate it, there was someone posting misinformation on Kane and had to have it removed since there was no source attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Well, the quote from the article is different than the pic posted lol

"It sounds like three pieces.

“What I’m hearing is a first-rounder — and one Grade-A or two Grade-B prospects, or one good prospect and a young, established NHL player,” a source from outside the San Jose Sharks organization told San Jose Hockey Now."

1st
Othmann OR 2 of Cuylle/Robertson/Jones/Sykora/Garand

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, the quote from the article is different than the pic posted lol

"It sounds like three pieces.

“What I’m hearing is a first-rounder — and one Grade-A or two Grade-B prospects, or one good prospect and a young, established NHL player,” a source from outside the San Jose Sharks organization told San Jose Hockey Now."

1st
Othmann OR 2 of Cuylle/Robertson/Jones/Sykora/Garand

If we were extending Meier would consider it, but not for just a rental.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Even if it was a first, Othmann, Sykora and say a Berard that would not be good for a rental. I don't care who it is.
Tarasenko would probably cost 1/3 of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad