Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXVIII: Down to the wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Something that hasn't been discussed, but they need to trade Holden so Shattenkirk's number is available when he signs

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
24, to be 25 in September the summer he was traded. But hey, 2 years is a huge difference right? Let's just put everything else aside, like contract situation, role on the team, minutes played, situations played, overall experience and whether or not there is a market for said player

23 to be 24.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not interested in a defender being the main piece in a Stepan trade.

We should be OK on defense if we go:

McDonagh- Shatterkink
Skjei- Smith
Staal - Holden and we are bound to hit on at least one of Graves, Pionk, Day or Berez

Who is this elusive center? Everyone on here keeps saying Dvorak plus a pick is too much for Stepan.

That move would give the Rangers a ton of cap space. I'm telling you Tavares will be a UFA next summer and Rangers could position themselves nicely to sign him.

I would prefer they moved,him for a young C.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd offer Vegas Miller for Manson, then tell Anaheim to try and top it value wise so Vegas doesn't take him.

Miller for Manson I would o in a heartbeat. That's not even remotely debatable.

It would save us a draft pick by not extending Smith (I think the 2018 2nd was conditional on us re-signing Smith)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who is this elusive center? Everyone on here keeps saying Dvorak plus a pick is too much for Stepan.

That move would give the Rangers a ton of cap space. I'm telling you Tavares will be a UFA next summer and Rangers could position themselves nicely to sign him.

I would prefer they moved,him for a young C.

Tavares won't be UFA. He will either sign with the Isles or be traded with an extension in mind. Everyone said Stamkos would be UFA last year, as well

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
He's an outstanding skater with tremendous vision and high hockey IQ. Production wise, I'm not sure but he's a very smart player who just knows where to be as the play develops. I feel like that is more "can't miss" than Strome's high risk / high reward.

Thank you.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sorry, I thought Staal was 87, not 88. Never mind.

Still, that is just 1 factor when comparing the situations

Yes, he scored at a very similiar pace despite getting way less minutes and scored perhaps the biggest goal helping his team win a Stanley Cup.

Stepan is coming off a horrendous postseason in the first year where the stage was all his (no Brassard or Richards).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yes, he scored at a very similiar pace despite getting way less minutes and scored perhaps the biggest goal helping his team win a Stanley Cup.

Stepan is coming off a horrendous postseason in the first year where the stage was all his (no Brassard or Richards).

Jordan Staal averaged 20ish minutes a night playing with Pittsburgh (last 3 were all 20+)

Stepan's career average is 18:16. Hes averaged over 20 a night once, and that was during the 2013 season (Torts last year here.)

You're going to some insane lengths to devalue Stepan as a player. I mean keep at it if you'd like, but its pretty ridiculous IMO.

PS: Strome went 3-7-10 in 7 and was named Captain for Canada during the WJC's. Don't know how that tournament was the icing on the cake for his "plummeting" value.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Brassard didn't have a bigger role than Zibanejad had this season. And Richards left 3 years ago.

And 1 bad post-season doesn't erase 7 years.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Jordan Staal averaged 20ish minutes a night playing with Pittsburgh (last 3 were all 20+)

Stepan's career average is 18:16. Hes averaged over 20 a night once, and that was during the 2013 season (Torts last year here.)

You're going to some insane lengths to devalue Stepan as a player. I mean keep at it if you'd like, but its pretty ridiculous IMO.

PS: Strome went 3-7-10 in 7 and was named Captain for Canada during the WJC's. Don't know how that tournament was the icing on the cake for his "plummeting" value.

I'm sure being Pittsburgh's top PK'er inflated those numbers. And Strome (probably unfairly) took a ton of heat for the GMG loss.

I still take him as the Stepan return and run to the bank though. He would be our best shot at developing a franchise center.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
You're taking this entire situation way too far out of context. Stepan telling Hank to relax isn't a big deal at all. He was sticking up for Brady Skjei who Hank was reaming out in the middle of a crucial playoff game. The last thing you need is your young stud dman to get the ****ing yips in a game like that.

When has Stepan ever shown to not be likable or a leader in the locker room? Please stop with these narratives already
i actually praised stepan for sticking up for skjei in that game. We know hank tends to have hissy fits once in a while.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And if part of Jordan Staal's trade value was tied into scoring a "big playoff goal"

I guess we have nothing to worry about if Stepan is moved.

Staal's SHG was the turning point for that series. The Stanley Cup Final. That the Penguins won. That goal is obviously held in higher regard. Had the Rangers gone on to win the Cup in 2015, that is a different story.

Just like the Matteau goal being the biggest in franchise history, while the Graves goal a few years later is largely forgotten .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Staal's SHG was the turning point for that series. The Stanley Cup Final. That the Penguins won. That goal is obviously held in higher regard. Had the Rangers gone on to win the Cup in 2015, that is a different story.

Just like the Matteau goal being the biggest in franchise history, while the Graves goal a few years later is largely forgotten .

The goal you are talking about was 3(!) years prior to the trade. I am sure LA can get a King's Ransom for Martinez, since he scored the Cup winning goal 3 years ago, then

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure being Pittsburgh's top PK'er inflated those numbers. And Strome (probably unfairly) took a ton of heat for the GMG loss.

I still take him as the Stepan return and run to the bank though. He would be our best shot at developing a franchise center.

Yeah, and Stepan doesn't play on the PK... :laugh:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The goal you are talking about was 3(!) years prior to the trade. I am sure LA can get a King's Ransom for Martinez, since he scored the Cup winning goal 3 years ago, then

Look at the reputation Kessel has now after his contributions to a Stanley Cup. Goes from being the most maligned player in hockey to one of the most universally loved with one big playoff run.

Of course scoring the biggest goal in the SCF counts for something.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think it is as unlikely as some think. Stepan is both overvalued by rangers fans and undervalued by other fans.

I agree with this. GMs will probably give more for Stepan than some fans want to believe. At the same time, it can't be stressed enough that:

- We do not have to trade Stepan
- There isn't a limited market for Stepan
- He's signed for another 4 years

This isn't at all like Jordan Staal or Ryan O'Reilly in that regard. Somehow people think we are just going to accept an offer that includes a 1st, a prospect and a roster player, regardless of who those players are or how high the pick is.

Gorton won't accept a trade unless it's really worth it. If not, Stepan will just be a Ranger on opening night in October and there's nothing wrong with that.

The proposals that have been suggested on the main board are just flat out embarrassing. Yes, I want the max for Stepan. Because we can just as well keep him if no one offers that.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I don't think it is as unlikely as some think. Stepan is both overvalued by rangers fans and undervalued by other fans.

A lot of it has to do with what Vegas decides to do in the expansion draft. If they take Lindberg, I imagine Gorton will be less likely to deal Stepan unless they are getting another C in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad