Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXVIII: Down to the wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
A lot of it has to do with what Vegas decides to do in the expansion draft. If they take Lindberg, I imagine Gorton will be less likely to deal Stepan unless they are getting another C in return.

I don't think that has that much of an impact. Centers will be available in free agency. We could Gorton go the same route as he did last year when he added players likes Grabner, Clendening and Gerbe.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Stepan has a lot of things teams are looking for. He's a right-handed center with experience that can play all situations. He's also locked up for 4 more years while earning less than his cap hit in 3 of those years.

But he's not an "exciting" acquisition, hence fans are all pissy about giving up quality pieces for him.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hanks the biggest whiner on the team and i'm glad Stepan told him to cool it

Sorry not sorry

Hank actually wanted to win that game, unlike the rest of the team. Good on him for giving a ****. If only Stepan cared as much as Hank.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Stepan has a lot of things teams are looking for. He's a right-handed center with experience that can play all situations. He's also locked up for 4 more years while earning less than his cap hit in 3 of those years.

But he's not an "exciting" acquisition, hence fans are all pissy about giving up quality pieces for him.

He doesn't even 'excite' his own fanbase. No surprise he gets underrated by other fanbases.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Hank actually wanted to win that game, unlike the rest of the team. Good on him for giving a ****. If only Stepan cared as much as Hank.

Funny thing is Rangers were winning 2-0 that game and Lundqvist pass to Ottawa player led to goal to make it 2-1.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, because Stepan doesn't care... :laugh:

He comes off as such a goof. Put down the mic and stop asking Buchnevich who he thinks is going to win the Super Bowl.

When you have a postseason as bad as he did and he is our 3rd highest paid player (and you need your highest paid players to be your best come playoff time) , all these criticisms are fair game.

Just saying you would never seeCrosby do something like that. Subban got booted out of MTL for that nonsense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He comes off as such a goof. Put down the mic and stop asking Buchnevich who he thinks is going to win the Super Bowl.

When you have a postseason as bad as he did and he is our 3rd highest paid player (and you need your highest paid players to be your best come playoff time) , all these criticisms are fair game.

Just saying you would never seeCrosby do something like that. Subban got booted out of MTL for that nonsense.

Of course. when a player has 1 bad post-season, it's apparently completely fair to criticize him for "coming off as a goof" and "not seeming to care enough" :laugh:

My god. Those things are based solely on personal opinion and what we see on TV. It has absolutely nothing to do with how he plays. Yes, he had a bad post-season but saying he "doesn't care" or "doesn't put in the effort" is just ridiculous because there's no way of knowing.

I assume that pro athletes give 100% all the time. Stepan does as well. His style may not be as flashy which makes people think he isn't trying

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
from what i remember they were winning then hank had his hissy fit and things went downhill.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
from what i remember they were winning then hank had his hissy fit and things went downhill.

And he was yelling at Skjei, arguably our best D-man the entire post-season, and a rookie on top of that. Out of all the people on the ice, Skjei was the last person he should be yelling at

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I agree with this. GMs will probably give more for Stepan than some fans want to believe. At the same time, it can't be stressed enough that:

- We do not have to trade Stepan
- There isn't a limited market for Stepan
- He's signed for another 4 years

This isn't at all like Jordan Staal or Ryan O'Reilly in that regard. Somehow people think we are just going to accept an offer that includes a 1st, a prospect and a roster player, regardless of who those players are or how high the pick is.

Gorton won't accept a trade unless it's really worth it. If not, Stepan will just be a Ranger on opening night in October and there's nothing wrong with that.

The proposals that have been suggested on the main board are just flat out embarrassing. Yes, I want the max for Stepan. Because we can just as well keep him if no one offers that.

But NTC kicks in July 1. This is the last two weeks we have any say in the matter. We can get by without him, and he nets us a top RHS PPQB. You have to make that move.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
And he was yelling at Skjei, arguably our best D-man the entire post-season, and a rookie on top of that. Out of all the people on the ice, Skjei was the last person he should be yelling at
i agree. There is a difference between trying to be motivating and just being a whiner. Stepan got into his teamates in a regular season game and they responded well to win the game

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
But NTC kicks in July 1. This is the last two weeks we have any say in the matter. We can get by without him, and he nets us a top RHS PPQB. You have to make that move.

We can just sign one of the best ones in the entire league in 2 weeks without trading a 1C

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I am all for trading Stepan IF the right deal comes along.

But I think trading him because:

a.) His NTC kicks in in 2 weeks, or
b.) He had a bad post-season, or
c.) He is signed at 6.5m a year

is a ridiculous reason to trade him.

The Rangers are listening to offers. Not actively shopping him. He isn't out there to be had for teams at a favourable offer. Gorton will trade him if the offer is good enough. And that means something that helps us for the future but doesn't set us back in the present.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
With the amount of teams most likely losing a defenseman to Vegas, Holden may have some value at the draft as a trade piece.

Here's an interesting thought:

The Rangers trade a 3rd rounder to Vegas to select Grabner.
The Rangers trade Holden to a team like Minnesota who will lose a defenseman and is looking to contend this year for a 3rd + 4th at the draft.

The values may be off but you get the idea. With the sheer volume of teams who will lose a defenseman and the lack of quality defensemen available in UFA, Holden may be a smart asset to protect until after expansion. People forget the guy put up quite a few points this year and was one of the teams best defensemen for the first 40-50 games.

It's a good point. Personally I was hoping he'd be exposed to maybe deter Vegas from taking Oscar, but they'll probably find better d-men anyway. Way I look at it, is if Lindberg were on another team, I'd certainly consider trading a 3rd or so for him.

Another tremendous positive about Holden: he reminds me of Rube from Major League. He's just happy to be here playing puck.

https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

None.

Let's hope Raanta is taken. Think he might be the easiest to replace, many goalies out there.

Would hope not. Pretty confident that he has the most trade value of anyone we left exposed.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I actually view that as a plus for Stepan. It is good to have different personalities on the team. I'm okay trading Stepan but I think his personality is a plus. If we trade him its only a hockey move for me.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I am all for trading Stepan IF the right deal comes along.

But I think trading him because:

a.) His NTC kicks in in 2 weeks, or
b.) He had a bad post-season, or
c.) He is signed at 6.5m a year

is a ridiculous reason to trade him.

The Rangers are listening to offers. Not actively shopping him. He isn't out there to be had for teams at a favourable offer. Gorton will trade him if the offer is good enough. And that means something that helps us for the future but doesn't set us back in the present.

Agreed insomuch as the deal has to be fantastic for us, but I think a b and c are all relevant in the evaluation of whether or not to trade Stepan.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hanks the biggest whiner on the team and i'm glad Stepan told him to cool it

Sorry not sorry

I think it got worse for Henrik with age, especially in the last couple of seasons. Can't help but think it partially attributable to how AV treats younger players.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jordan Staal was realistically signing with one of two team. The Rangers or Carolina. Ray Shero wasn't trading Staal to the Rangers who made an offer to acquire Jordan. Pittsburgh did receive the 8th pick in 2012 which they foolishly used on Derrick Pouliot than Jacob Trouba who went 9th,Brian Dumoulin and at that time Brandon Sutter looked like a decent NHL player for a player who wanted a bigger role and was looking at joining one of his brothers. It was Carolina or nothing for Pittsburgh.

Ryan O'Reilly. He was one year away from group III. Joe Sakic is not a very good GM. He is in over his head. The Avalanche ownership is looking to replace him for a reason. Just because Sakic made a bad deal doesn't mean the Rangers should make a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad