Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXVIII: Down to the wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't see Stepan being a good fit with Doan in that locker room TBH.

Doan calls out his teammates to the media on the reg and management whenever one of his friends gets traded. And he gets away with it.

After the 'relax' incident I don't think that would sit well with Stepan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Doesn't it seem a bit odd hearing The Rangers have been shopping Stepan for a while? No one has squashed those rumors. If the Rangers were concerned about the players thoughts they would have leaked something through one of their guys.

I don't see a way Stepan ISNT traded this offseason. Too much smoke. That's he best way to get a disgruntled player.

disgruntled?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Speaking of Stepan and his birthday, the Rangers didn't tweet out a Happy birthday to him. They usually do that kind of thing right? Or am I way over-thinking here?

They didn't for Nash either apparently.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Doan calls out his teammates to the media on the reg and management whenever one of his friends gets traded. And he gets away with it.

Wow talk about a stretch :laugh:

Doan may not even be back next season.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Guys, did not have time to read whole thread. What are the realistic targets Rangers can get from Arizona for Stepan?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean I'm not going to lie just because I'm a Rangers fan. Staal had a huge hand in helping the Penguins win the Cup in '09, was better defensively than Stepan is now, scored at a pretty similiar rate and that was despite playing behind the two best centers in the world.

And he was 4 years younger.

That's fine but using the main boards as a basis for what is fair value is laughable. They have proved it time and time again.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Staal was perceived as better and way younger than Stepan at the time of that trade.

Staal was younger, yes. But...

Staal was also 1 year removed from UFA
Penguins wanted to move Staal
Penguins only had 2 destinations for Staal

Stepan has 4 years left on his current contract
Rangers DO NOT HAVE TO move Stepan, they are simply listening to offers.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
What is Dvorak upside, potential production next year? I really do not know much about Arizona prospects.

He's an outstanding skater with tremendous vision and high hockey IQ. Production wise, I'm not sure but he's a very smart player who just knows where to be as the play develops. I feel like that is more "can't miss" than Strome's high risk / high reward.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That's fine but using the main boards as a basis for what is fair value is laughable. They have proved it time and time again.

If Canes fans repeatedly pass HARD on Stepan for Faulk it's probably a bad trade for them so it would be unrealistic to expect it to happen.

And even if they were lukewarm on the idea, logic dictates Carolina would not trade Faulk for Stepan, for several reasons.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Speaking of Stepan and his birthday, the Rangers didn't tweet out a Happy birthday to him. They usually do that kind of thing right? Or am I way over-thinking here?

You're taking this entire situation way too far out of context. Stepan telling Hank to relax isn't a big deal at all. He was sticking up for Brady Skjei who Hank was reaming out in the middle of a crucial playoff game. The last thing you need is your young stud dman to get the ****ing yips in a game like that.

When has Stepan ever shown to not be likable or a leader in the locker room? Please stop with these narratives already

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Staal was 23 to be 24 in September. Stepan is 27. Today. That is a huge difference as there was still huge upside for Staal to continue to progress.

Stepan is what he is at this poiunt.

24, to be 25 in September the summer he was traded. But hey, 2 years is a huge difference right? Let's just put everything else aside, like contract situation, role on the team, minutes played, situations played, overall experience and whether or not there is a market for said player

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Say to LV, we'll give you Stepan you pick Dumba and Manson then flip them to us.

Not interested in a defender being the main piece in a Stepan trade.

We should be OK on defense if we go:

McDonagh- Shatterkink
Skjei- Smith
Staal - Holden and we are bound to hit on at least one of Graves, Pionk, Day or Berez

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not interested in a defender being the main piece in a Stepan trade.

We should be OK on defense if we go:

McDonagh- Shatterkink
Skjei- Smith
Staal - Holden and we are bound to hit on at least one of Graves, Pionk, Day or Berez

We likely can't afford Smith and Shattenkirk unless we move a forward with a decent contract or Staal

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The relax incident? My god, that is so overblown. People talk about that as if Stepan ****ed Lundqvist's wife the way it's made out to be an issue. He isn't John Terry.

Regarding the expansion draft... People are seriously willing to give up picks to retain Fast or Lindberg, 4th line players?

Other teams are potentially losing a top-4 defenseman or a top-6 forward and we have to worry about a 4th liner, a 3rd pair D-man or a backup goalie on a 1 year deal :laugh:

First World Problems

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Canes fans repeatedly pass HARD on Stepan for Faulk it's probably a bad trade for them so it would be unrealistic to expect it to happen.

And even if they were lukewarm on the idea, logic dictates Carolina would not trade Faulk for Stepan, for several reasons.

Again. For the most part, fans are usually off on a players value. There is an emotional attachment that gives a perceived higher value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad