Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXVIII: Down to the wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We can just sign one of the best ones in the entire league in 2 weeks without trading a 1C

Yes, and I'm including the factor that clearing Stepan's salary and netting a younger, cheaper potential 1C (i.e. Strome), signing Shattenkirk, re-signing our RFAs as an option in the evaluation of moving Stepan to get that top RHS PPQB.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agreed insomuch as the deal has to be fantastic for us, but I think a b and c are all relevant in the evaluation of whether or not to trade Stepan.

LA isn't trading Kopitar for scraps because he had 1 bad season. Come on.

And 6.5m for Stepan isn't a lot compared to what he brings. But people fail to realize that defense is an integral part of hockey. Of course some people feel a 1C doesn't need good defense because that's what the other 3 centers are for :laugh:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Las Vegas has a deal with Anaheim basically protecting Vatanen and Manson. McPhee can't go back on his word and select Manson to trade him. McPhee will be finished as a GM and nobody will trust him anymore.

They have a deal with Columbus and the Islanders.

Do you guys understand McPhee and the other GM's have agreed on the deals but the NHL wants them kept quiet not to ruin the expansion draft?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He doesn't even 'excite' his own fanbase. No surprise he gets underrated by other fanbases.

I often lol and shake head when a trade value is "supported" by a statement that posters on the trade board gave it an approval or not.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
LA isn't trading Kopitar for scraps because he had 1 bad season. Come on.

And 6.5m for Stepan isn't a lot compared to what he brings. But people fail to realize that defense is an integral part of hockey. Of course some people feel a 1C doesn't need good defense because that's what the other 3 centers are for :laugh:

Who is talking about scraps? Not me. Market value. Also, that's just b. I said a, b, and c. There are other reasons too. Re signing RFAs. Getting younger and potentially better. Shake up a losing chemistry. Etc

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Garth Snow going 3-5-1 and paying for 2 more protection slots and still having Nelson, Strome and De Haan unprotected is peak Garth Snow...

He's protecting scrubs like Cizikas and Pelech over those 3, this is insane even for Snow...

It's probably costing them a 1st to protect Cizikas + Pelech too, imagine that...

Pure comedy gold, i almost feel sorry for Isles fans, almost. Actually, i'm laughing in their faces! :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
'Sorry not sorry' is the worst phrase in the world

AINEC :sarcasm:

Who is talking about scraps? Not me. Market value. Also, that's just b. I said a, b, and c. There are other reasons too. Re signing RFAs. Getting younger and potentially better. Shake up a losing chemistry. Etc

A losing chemistry? If we are shaking up a losing chemistry, trade Zuccarello. Easier to replace and he lost his BFFs in the last 2 years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The fairest assessment of Stepan is that he's been a 1A or 1B center for a team that went to a SCF, twice to ECF and made playoffs for a number of years in a row (including a President's trophy. And he's still only 27...

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Las Vegas has a deal with Anaheim basically protecting Vatanen and Manson. McPhee can't go back on his word and select Manson to trade him. McPhee will be finished as a GM and nobody will trust him anymore.

They have a deal with Columbus and the Islanders.

Do you guys understand McPhee and the other GM's have agreed on the deals but the NHL wants them kept quiet not to ruin the expansion draft?

Actually, the RUMORED deal is that Vegas gets Vatanen, so they're paying Vatanen to protect Manson, probably more then Vatanen too.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I may be wrong but I think Gorton didnt pull the trigger on a Stepan trade yet because he needs to see if Vegas takes Lindberg. Realisticallly we can't trade Stepan for futures unless we keep Lindberg and have 3 definite Centers ready for next season. Then again we do have a #1 C in Nieves but ya know:laugh: Jokes aside i think that if Vegas takes Lindberg theres a much higher chance that Stepan stays and potentially Kreider goes as a surprise deal. For the right package ofcourse.

Or he could have traded stepan before the draft and then protected Lindberg.....

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
RB laying down some knowledge.

Tony Montana said all I have in this world are my word and my balls and I don't break them for anybody.

McPhee makes a deal with Bob Murray. The Ducks leave certain players unprotected thinking they have a deal with McPhee but McPhee changes his mind. Who is ever going to trust McPhee? Nobody.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So you mean to tell me McPhee made deals for teams to not protect certain players and then he goes back on his word?

This is not a normal situation.

Who knows. There could be preconditions put in place that if something better comes around he'll give the other GM a chance to match or better.

He would be doing his team a massive diservice if he didn't. Teams are going to be bidding up a storm for certain players.

These moves are going to set this franchise up.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Tony Montana said all I have in this world are my word and my balls and I don't break them for anybody.

McPhee makes a deal with Bob Murray. The Ducks leave certain players unprotected thinking they have a deal with McPhee but McPhee changes his mind. Who is ever going to trust McPhee? Nobody.

He, just like the Wild and to a lesser extent the islanders, had no choice but to not protect players they otherwise would have wanted to. Its the way the rules were set up.

I have no idea what the hell the islanders were doing.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

I agree with this, if they have a proper deal in place to protect players then he's sticking to it, don't think he breaks that.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
So you mean to tell me McPhee made deals for teams to not protect certain players and then he goes back on his word?

This is not a normal situation.

If McPhee gets an offer from some team for two 1st round picks or something for Manson and he passes over it because he already had some significantly lesser deal in place with Anaheim, a divisional rival, to not select Manson, then he should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad