Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXIX: Countdown to the draft (and the other draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think they're the dark horse candidate for Stepan. They were after Duchene, but there was lots of talk about how he didn't have enough term on his deal for their liking. There was also talk about their ownership considering selling the team or relocating I believe. Tough sell for free agents.

Hanifin would be a great get, but I'm not sure if I can see them parting with him for Stepan.

Lindholm, Bean and the 12th for Stepan?

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I don't see Carolina moving their top 4. I could see Lindholm, #12 & Fleury/Bean as an offer for Step. Young D's are both LH though.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
So when are the expansion picks being announced? I've heard at the awards and at they would announce who they're taking from each team after that teams pick in the draft..

The decisions will be finalized by 10 am tomorrow. That's what USA Today has, anyway.

Everything will be formally announced at the awards show.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
McPhee talked about the need of keeping things simple, sounded like teams had apporched him with 3 way deals etc but it's just too many moving parts for him and too much action to be too cute.

Who would you guys rather take -- Vatanen or Manson? I like Manson but his offense is definitely very short.

Manson would be an ideal partner for McDonagh.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm just looking at the established rate for a player like Stepan, which is a top 10 pick, a top prospect and a good young player. 7OA/Strome checks off two of those boxes. Add Rantaa to the deal, and the 35th pick should be coming back.

Frankly, if Gorton got Strome, another prospect, the 7th and took
Liljegren, then took a skilled forward at 21, and another center at 35, I'd call it a heckuva coue of days for this franchise going forward.

I'm totally with you here... That's a HUGE coupe for Stepan.

You'd be trading:

55 point proven 2-way centerman (Read: Stepan)
Above Average Backup Goalie ready for a starting job (Read: Raanta)

FOR

High Potential (65-70 points) Center Prospect (Read: Domi)
NHL Ready Defenseman (Read: Brannstrom)
NHL Prospect (Read: Hickley)
Nearly NHL Ready Forward (Read: high 2nd Round pick, not sure who this would be)

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Except he hasn't.

People come up with bogus criticisms when it comes to Stepan because he sucked in the playoffs. He was no slower during the post season than he was in the regular season, he wasn't out of shape, etc. If he had gone a point per game, I bet you wouldn't be saying this either.

Check out his goal in game 2 in the Senators series and tell me that hes lost a step - because he looked like the normally looks on that goal.

Duchene was clearly slower than normal last season and it wasn't an effort thing. Thats a pretty significant red flag IYAM.

But this wasn't really about that. Who are the suitors for Duchene? We know the Isles and Montreal (who dont really have many bullets left, or a D to send the other way.) Carolina? Am I missing anyone?

I don't necessarily look at Stepan and say he has physically lost a step, but for whatever reason mentally he was not as sharp of a player as he was. This isn't a kneejerk comment based on his playoffs. I don't think that is the motivation for nyr to move him, I think this is simply about making a core shift and GMJG putting his shape on this team

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I'm probably the only huge Vic Rask fan around here.

Hes 24, signed for 5 years at 4 million. Produces well (45 points on the Carolina 2s)

I think hed be a phenomenal addition on our second line

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have a really hard time believing that teams like MIN, NYI & ANA don't already have protection deals worked out already. Read NYI is essentially sending their 1st for LV to take Grabovski & Kulemin off their hands. I feel like OTT must have something in the works to protect Methot. Losing him for nothing is sort of criminal asset management. CLB is rumored to have a deal. I thought it was to get LV to take Clarkson off their hands but I'm not even seeing him on the list (probably due to injuries) so no clue what that is about.

When have General Managers of NHL teams ever made smart asset moves? There are many teams out there with huge defencies that have done nothing for a long time.

McPhee has twice the last 24 hours gone on record saying that he has not yet agreed to make a single trade. Why should he give teams a discount on a good player? Nobody will praise him for engaging in welfare to help out other teams.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I don't see Carolina moving their top 4. I could see Lindholm, #12 & Fleury/Bean as an offer for Step. Young D's are both LH though.

That would be intriguing. Could get a good d-man and center in the draft in addition to a pretty good D prospect about NHL-ready, a 22 y/o roster player, and cap space.

That...well...I'd be interested. I've always liked Lindholm, though.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I'm totally with you here... That's a HUGE coupe for Stepan.

You'd be trading:

55 point proven 2-way centerman (Read: Stepan)
Above Average Backup Goalie ready for a starting job (Read: Raanta)

FOR

High Potential (65-70 points) Center Prospect (Read: Domi)
NHL Ready Defenseman (Read: Brannstrom)
NHL Prospect (Read: Hickley)
Nearly NHL Ready Forward (Read: high 2nd Round pick, not sure who this would be)

Would Brannstrom be NHL ready? I've heard otherwise. Unless you meant Liljegren

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I have a really hard time believing that teams like MIN, NYI & ANA don't already have protection deals worked out already. Read NYI is essentially sending their 1st for LV to take Grabovski & Kulemin off their hands. I feel like OTT must have something in the works to protect Methot. Losing him for nothing is sort of criminal asset management. CLB is rumored to have a deal. I thought it was to get LV to take Clarkson off their hands but I'm not even seeing him on the list (probably due to injuries) so no clue what that is about.

Ottawa has nothing (heard Vegas was asking a lot). Islanders have a deal in place, but I believe de Haan is taken in it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm probably the only huge Vic Rask fan around here.

Hes 24, signed for 5 years at 4 million. Produces well (45 points on the Carolina 2s)

I think hed be a phenomenal addition on our second line

Which is why he's likely not available.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
That would be intriguing. Could get a good d-man and center in the draft in addition to a pretty good D prospect about NHL-ready, a 22 y/o roster player, and cap space.

That...well...I'd be interested. I've always liked Lindholm, though.
For sure, someone good will drop to 12.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
McPhee talked about the need of keeping things simple, sounded like teams had apporched him with 3 way deals etc but it's just too many moving parts for him and too much action to be too cute.

Who would you guys rather take -- Vatanen or Manson? I like Manson but his offense is definitely very short.

Manson, especially on the Rangers. Guy is going to be a meaner Vlasic, if he's not that already.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Aho is a stud and isn't going anywhere. Faulk for Stepan barely puts a dent in getting them above the cap floor.

I think they keep Lindholm. Nic Roy might be a different story.

True...I like Lindholm, but their wing depth is very shallow behind him. Not sure they can afford to lose him unless they're pursuing a Free Agent.

Nic Roy is interesting as a big center, but what's his ETA to the NHL?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Probably Manson. He'd be a good defense-first guy to pair with McDonagh. I also think Manson has greater upside.

Someone mentioned Anaheim might make a deal with Vegas. Is it in any realm of possibility they send Theodore to Vegas to avoid losing Vatanen or Manson?

I just like the idea of Theodore on the Rangers, so anything that makes that possible...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
True...I like Lindholm, but their wing depth is very shallow behind him. Not sure they can afford to lose him unless they're pursuing a Free Agent.

Nic Roy is interesting as a big center, but what's his ETA to the NHL?

I think he'll need a year in the AHL, but he was once thought of as a top-10 pick in his class. Had a bad draft year but was phenomenal in his +1 and +2 seasons. He's really turned into a complete player.

With Carolina, the deal would have to be all about futures. Not sure their fans would love it, but Roy, Bean, and their #1 would be enticing.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

That would be exempt from expansion. Though they could be tossing the clarkson condition into their trade proposal...

"We'll send you a 1st if you a) take XX player and b) take Clarkson from us for a 7th Rounder)

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
I think he'll need a year in the AHL, but he was once thought of as a top-10 pick in his class. Had a bad draft year but was phenomenal in his +1 and +2 seasons. He's really turned into a complete player.

With Carolina, the deal would have to be all about futures. Not sure their fans would love it, but Roy, Bean, and their #1 would be enticing.

Or it could just be Victor Rask and their first....

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
When have General Managers of NHL teams ever made smart asset moves? There are many teams out there with huge defencies that have done nothing for a long time.

McPhee has twice the last 24 hours gone on record saying that he has not yet agreed to make a single trade. Why should he give teams a discount on a good player? Nobody will praise him for engaging in welfare to help out other teams.

I forget how many times McPhee had to fight Dave Brown but surely it must have dented something in there. Joke aside, McPhee is smart as balls, he'll have a decent team this season with some deadline flips and some young pipeline stuff in the A for tomorrow. I wish I was in that war room right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad