Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXIX: Countdown to the draft (and the other draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Ugh, these days leading up to the expansion draft and the NHL draft are going to be boring, long, and slow.. Nothing's going to happen except for the revealing of the new jerseys, I guess...

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Expansion?

Wednesday night during the awards show. The NHL found a way to have more people watch that lousy show. It won't be one segment. The NHL will stretch out the expansion over the entire awards show.

Will they announce trades during the show too? That would be so typical of the NHL to have a player attend the awards show and find out he was trading during it

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Expansion?

Wednesday night during the awards show. The NHL found a way to have more people watch that lousy show. It won't be one segment. The NHL will stretch out the expansion over the entire awards show.

I understand they want to convince people to watch the ceremony, since nobody watches that but I still wish they would have combined it with the entry draft, announcing an expansion pick in between entry draft picks

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Expansion?

Thanks!

I usually watch it. Not ever that interesting, but worth watching if you are a big hockey fan.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I understand they want to convince people to watch the ceremony, since nobody watches that but I still wish they would have combined it with the entry draft, announcing an expansion pick in between entry draft picks

No, don't agree with this, the entry draft is and should be about the kids.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Using the Jordan Staal and Jeff Carter trade templates, the price was a high #1 pick, youngish NHL roster player and a third piece.

Jordan Staal to Carolina for Brandon Sutter(11th overall in 2007),1st round pick-9th overall in 2012(Derrick Pouliot-passed over Trouba and Forsberg)and Brian Doumulin(2nd rounder in 2009-51st overall) in June 2012.

The Deal
June 23, 2011: Philadelphia trades Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek and the Blue Jackets’ first and third round draft picks in 2011.
The Results
Carter, who’d inked an 11-year, $58-million pact that was triggered in 2011-12, was coming off a disappointing season and the Flyers were looking for cap relief. They found a willing partner in Columbus, a club looking to make a splash and wanting to convince Rick Nash they were serious about going to the next level.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...rter-for-jakub-voracek-tradethree-years-later

Jeff Carter for Voracek(7th overall in 2007),1st round pick-8th overall in 2011(Sean Couturier)and a 3rd round pick in 2011(Nick Cousins) in June 2011. Couturier played in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Derek Stepan 6 years/$39M. Front loaded. $16M in the first two seasons paid by the Rangers. $23M remaining over 4 years. $5.75M per for Arizona. Very affordable. Better contract than Carter had and for what Staal eventually signed in Carolina. 10 years/$60M.

Brandon Hickey acquired by the Coyotes in the Mike Smith trade as the 3rd piece in the Stepan trade. I read the Calgarypuck.com forum. They believe Hickey didn't want to sign with the Flames which is why they traded him. He is from Alberta too. Is Hickey signing with Arizona? He can play out his senior year and become a free agent next August. The Rangers have ties to Hickey. Perhaps the Rangers can sign him this summer. When I read Hickey was going to Arizona in the deal for Smith,Hickey is going to the Rangers. Eventually.

#7th pick overall in 2017 and Hickey. The Rangers need an NHL piece in the trade using the Carter/Staal templates. Christian Dvorak? Max Domi?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Using the Jordan Staal and Jeff Carter trade templates, the price was a high #1 pick, youngish NHL roster player and a third piece.

Jordan Staal to Carolina for Brandon Sutter(11th overall in 2007),1st round pick-9th overall in 2012(Derrick Pouliot-passed over Trouba and Forsberg)and Brian Doumulin(2nd rounder in 2009-51st overall) in June 2012.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...rter-for-jakub-voracek-tradethree-years-later

Jeff Carter for Voracek(7th overall in 2007),1st round pick-8th overall in 2011(Sean Couturier)and a 3rd round pick in 2011(Nick Cousins) in June 2011. Couturier played in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Derek Stepan 6 years/$39M. Front loaded. $16M in the first two seasons paid by the Rangers. $23M remaining over 4 years. $5.75M per for Arizona. Very affordable. Better contract than Carter had and for what Staal eventually signed in Carolina. 10 years/$60M.

Brandon Hickey acquired by the Coyotes in the Mike Smith trade as the 3rd piece in the Stepan trade. I read the Calgarypuck.com forum. They believe Hickey didn't want to sign with the Flames which is why they traded him. He is from Alberta too. Is Hickey signing with Arizona? He can play out his senior year and become a free agent next August. The Rangers have ties to Hickey. Perhaps the Rangers can sign him this summer. When I read Hickey was going to Arizona in the deal for Smith,Hickey is going to the Rangers. Eventually.

#7th pick overall in 2017 and Hickey. The Rangers need an NHL piece in the trade using the Carter/Staal templates. Christian Dvorak? Max Domi?

Sign me up for 7 OA, Dvorak, and Hickey.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I would want at least #7 and of Dvorak/Strome. That's the base in any Stepan trade IMO.

I think if we still have Raanta after the expansion draft, he will be apart of the trade as well.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Thanks for doing the legwork on the Carter trade. It would definitely be an interesting take on the Stepan trade.

If we go for the value compared to the Carter trade, add Dvorak to what you had, and it seems like an almost identical trade:

Dvorak (Voracek)
7th overall (8th overall)
Brandon Hickey (3rd round pick)

Cap-hit is almost identical

Stepan: 8.7% of the salary cap
Carter: 8.3% of the salary cap

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Would AZ prefer giving up Dvorak over Strome? Would Gorton prefer Dvorak over Strome?

Gorton probably wants Dvorak over Strome. Chayka might want the opposite.

I would want at least #7 and of Dvorak/Strome. That's the base in any Stepan trade IMO.

I think if we still have Raanta after the expansion draft, he will be apart of the trade as well.

If we add Raanta, I wouldn't be surprised if the 23rd or 35th OA pick is involved, depending on the market for goalies

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

I like the template but i think Stepan holds a bit less value then those players, so tone it down a bit and i think ur ball park.
Definitely agree that we need a young roster player as the main piece though.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like that Dvorak came through the London program. His fitness is very high.

Strome has one of the highest hockey IQ's out there.... same with the hands... but is he athletic enough is the question? He doesn't play a power game, and doesn't have top end wheels.

Kid's super smart, and can break down d-zone structures. Unlike Kreider who has a very high IQ off the ice, but is rather limited on the ice, DStrome is smart on the ice.

Boppob can chime in, but methinks they value Keller a lot more than Strome.

Strome wasn't a Chayka guy either.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like the template but i think Stepan holds a bit less value then those players, so tone it down a bit and i think ur ball park.
Definitely agree that we need a young roster player as the main piece though.

I think Jordan Staal is probably a closer value, as the Canes were acquiring him to be their 2C.

But on the Carter comparison, if the NHL piece is a little less established than Voracek, who had already put up 2nd line numbers for 2 straight years at that point, then I think the value is pretty similar.

In terms of asset strength:
Jakub Voracek > Christian Dvorak
8th OA = 7th OA (they're really the same)
3rd round pick = Hickey

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I like that Dvorak came through the London program. His fitness is very high.

Strome has one of the highest hockey IQ's out there.... same with the hands... but is he athletic enough is the question? He doesn't play a power game, and doesn't have top end wheels.

Kid's super smart, and can break down d-zone structures. Unlike Kreider who has a very high IQ off the ice, but is rather limited on the ice, DStrome is smart on the ice.

Boppob can chime in, but methinks they value Keller a lot more than Strome.

Strome wasn't a Chayka guy either.

Keller is the most highly valued Coyote. Period. Future star.

The Strome/Dvorak debate is a good one. I like both players but they are different. I'd take my chances with either of them + #7 and a third asset.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If that's the type of deal Gorton can get, then it needs to happen. Dvorak/Strome + 1st + Hickey/Crouse

It's what would make sense for this team. There are numerous examples of that type of deal

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Btw, I would very much rather the Rangers trade Stepan in a deal to VGK for whatever the best mid-20s RHD they get.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If the NYI deal with Vegas is just to cover Cizikas and Bailey, then I'm offering Stepan to VGK for Dumba and Brock Nelson. Ranger management loved Nelson and tried to trade back into the end of the first round to try and get him. He's been a productive player. I don't get to see the Islanders as much as some of you do but I've always been impressed. Dumba, I think we all know by now. Quality for quality. A trade that makes both the win now and get younger crowd happy.

Where else would Vegas get this kind of skill?

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Keller is the most highly valued Coyote. Period. Future star.

The Strome/Dvorak debate is a good one. I like both players but they are different. I'd take my chances with either of them + #7 and a third asset.
I'd take Strome to get a better 3rd piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->