Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who cares if he's small and soft and he's not small? Wouldn't effective or ineffective be the deciding factor?. RNH is a skill player who has improved his 2 way game. His career average is 55pts per 82 games.

He's 24 and Pettersson is 18. sure it would be great if Elias is a 2nd line centre capable guy by 18/19 but that still doesn't preclude us from having a depth of Horvat RNH Pettersson Sutter down the middle.

It's time to move on from Henrik and i don't really see Burmistrov as a guy i would put too much stalk in becoming a reliable scorer. Especially in a larger role. I think he would flourish outside of Edmonton and in his hometown, although i agree he is overpaid he would play the next 3-4 yrs in his prime so it's not likely to be a Eriksson drop off a cliff retirement deal. We probably get some good value for it.

Where is the Pedigree thing coming from? Usually people confuse pedigree for lower level talent or status. I don't know why everyone has such a bugaboo about using it unless it's in the context of he should be good because of "pedigree" argument, which makes no sense. Every high pick ever taken pretty much has high pedigree.

Who are these comparable UFA's we can get that are young and more affordable? And to add to that who the hell bridges Pettersson to being an effective 2 way player likely in 3-4yrs. He's not gonna be a Eichel Draisaitl type where he just steps in and owns a centre ice top6 position in all likelihood. If he is it makes us a contender a centre ice which is great.

Pettersson is 19 in a few days and it will be his 20 y/o season next year. He should be our 2nd line center next season, as most other top-5 picks have been at age 20.

I don't care what RNH's career scoring average is. He's regressed offensively since he broke into the league (and isn't getting 21 minutes/game with Taylor Hall on his wing). Right now he has 50 points in his last 102 games since the start of last year.

He's a mediocre 2nd line center. This team doesn't need another mediocre 2nd line center and certainly not one who comes with a $24 million financial commitment.

And 'pedigree' is valid here because nobody would be talking about him if he was the exact same player drafted in the 3rd round, even if he made half the salary.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Easy pass on RNH.

How does he get this team anywhere closer to contending in the future? He's a useless asset that would add more mediocre to a mediocre group of forwards.

I wouldn't trade for a center unless they are an upgrade offensively on Horvat. Horvat-RNH combo isn't going to take this team anywhere and if you're happy with that I'll just assume you want the canucks to never win anything in your lifetime. We need a Franchise center to move Horvat down to an elite 2nd line center role if we want to become a contender anytime soon. If we have to be shitty for a couple seasons to find that piece well so be it...price you pay to build a legit contender rather than a pretender like St.Louis or Montreal (who continue to rely on RNH types and fail).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Easy pass on RNH.

How does he get this team anywhere closer to contending in the future? He's a useless asset that would add more mediocre to a mediocre group of forwards.

I wouldn't trade for a center unless they are an upgrade offensively on Horvat. Horvat-RNH combo isn't going to take this team anywhere and if you're happy with that I'll just assume you want the canucks to never win anything in your lifetime. We need a Franchise center to move Horvat down to an elite 2nd line center role if we want to become a contender anytime soon. If we have to be ****ty for a couple seasons to find that piece well so be it...price you pay to build a legit contender rather than a pretender like St.Louis or Montreal (who continue to rely on RNH types and fail).

The argument was for free from waivers.

You obviously don't have high regards for Pettersson and Who is the saviour centre you covet?

Can't sit around for the next decade hoping to get McDavid or Matthews.

Pettersson is 19 in a few days and it will be his 20 y/o season next year. He should be our 2nd line center next season, as most other top-5 picks have been at age 20.

I don't care what RNH's career scoring average is. He's regressed offensively since he broke into the league (and isn't getting 21 minutes/game with Taylor Hall on his wing). Right now he has 50 points in his last 102 games since the start of last year.

He's a mediocre 2nd line center. This team doesn't need another mediocre 2nd line center and certainly not one who comes with a $24 million financial commitment.

And 'pedigree' is valid here because nobody would be talking about him if he was the exact same player drafted in the 3rd round, even if he made half the salary.
I would rather ease Pettersson in at a sheltered role for a season. I think your heaping really high expectations on a player based on draft position when we all know how physically immature he is. You can't just say top5 pick without the context and understanding of where this kid is in terms of physicality. Safe to say if he was 200lbs strong with the same skillset he would have battled Hischier for 1st overall and he would be playing right now.

i also think you're being way too harsh on RNH given the fact that he has been used as a 3rd line centre as much as a 2 with Edmonton the last 100 games. You know all too well how a role of a given player effects production yet are using this against RNH.

I don't really care to spend any assets of long term value on this player but the argument or statement you put forth about not taking him for free i strongly disagree with. If he was UFA this summer and we could have him for 3x6 i would do it in a heartbeat.

Pedigree is your insertion. I would feel the same if he was a 5th rounder.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Would rather Jimbo stay away from trades as he doesnt have the track record of winning them. Id hope he throws money at Tavares but thats a pipe dream. What im really hoping for is Turris to sign with us as a UFA this summer. Turris might not fit into Ottawas future if the cap doesnt raise. Stone needs a raise and they need to shore up 4ish D this summer with 15mil

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He's a small, soft 40-point player making $6 million for another 4 years.

Pettersson should be our #2 center next year or 18-19 at the absolute latest, and we have Horvat signed for 6 years to fill a scoring-line center spot as well as Sutter signed for another 4 years to be the #3 center.

Why on earth would we commit $24 million to such a mediocre player given where we're at now with the center position? Oh yeah, 'pedigree'.

You can find comparable players to Nugent-Hopkins in UFA for a fraction of that price if we need a stopgap center because Pettersson stagnates.

I'm betting if the Canucks pick up Rhinehart, Duchene, Nugent, or any other top 6 center and Gaudette will go back for year 4 and then go UFA. Too many top centers with this new acquisition, Horvat, Pettersson, along with Sutter's outrageous contract for him to see a future in the middle. Could he play on a wing? Probably. Does he want to? I don't know.

Would losing him be huge deal? Again who knows. He is progressing very well especially for a 5th round pick. Are the Canucks going to have to promise him an NHL spot to get him signed? Posters here claim the college kids' agents can call the shots and the NHL team is over a barrel.

Personally unless the kid is better than Boeser quality, I tell him take what we offer or leave it. Burn off a year of his ELC. No NHL guarantee as Pettersson and Gaudette could spend at least part of '18-19 in the AHL.

Is losing him a huge deal if they do pick up one of theses guys?

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I'm betting if the Canucks pick up Rhinehart, Duchene, Nugent, or any other top 6 center and Gaudette will go back for year 4 and then go UFA. Too many top centers with this new acquisition, Horvat, Pettersson, along with Sutter's outrageous contract for him to see a future in the middle. Could he play on a wing? Probably. Does he want to? I don't know.

Would losing him be huge deal? Again who knows. He is progressing very well especially for a 5th round pick. Are the Canucks going to have to promise him an NHL spot to get him signed? Posters here claim the collegwe kid's agents can call the shotsa and the NHL team is over a barrel.

Personally unless the kid is better than Boeser quality, I tell him take what we offer or leave it. Burn off a year of his ELC. No NHL guarantee as Pettersson and Gaudette could spend at least part of '18-19 in the AHL.

Is losing him a huge deal if they do pick up one of theses guys

I'd be disappointed in RNH and Reinhardt
Duchene is a good pick up as a 1a/1b with Petterssen and have Horvat be a super elite number 3
Horvat is better than RNH and Reinhardt

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Would rather Jimbo stay away from trades as he doesnt have the track record of winning them. Id hope he throws money at Tavares but thats a pipe dream. What im really hoping for is Turris to sign with us as a UFA this summer. Turris might not fit into Ottawas future if the cap doesnt raise. Stone needs a raise and they need to shore up 4ish D this summer with 15mil

I want Turris here as well. Partly because I know Benning will still refuse to re-tool if he is still here, and partly because good mid-aged centres can still be moved in the future -- if need be.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not picking up RNH off of waivers is one of the oddest statements I have seen in the Fantasy GM thread. Truly, weird.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah.. you do.
I simply wrote down the two lines i was a discussing and then added the two others for completion...i.e. the line order meant nothing and you put way too much meaning into the way they were written down.
Order them how you like.
It doesn't matter.

We all know by now trying label lines as 1st 2nd 3rd 4th etc is a fruitless endeavour the way our team is currently constructed..
You can discuss role.... but it doesn't always line up with the expected mins.

Hey, fair enough. 99% of people write them in order so I just assumed you did too.

As for your lines, they look alright apart from the fact Gagner should be a healthy scratch for someone else. (Goldobin or Boucher, maybe)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Throw in Guddy. Chiareli likes this kind of player, and we would no longer have to worry about Benning giving him an egregious contract.

It's too bad EDM wants the same thing VAN wants: A right shot PMD. Gudbranson does nothing for them.

Sutter would fit there, if he waives.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not picking up RNH off of waivers is one of the oddest statements I have seen in the Fantasy GM thread. Truly, weird.

It's a $24 million commitment to a mediocre 40-point 2nd line center.

This is how a capped league works. Horribly overpaid average players have extremely limited value. If Ben Hutton was making $6 million, I wouldn't claim him off waivers either. And if RNH had 2 years left @ $3 million/year of course I'd take him off waivers and would trade medium assets for him.

And I'd especially have little interest in a case where this team should have Pettersson-Horvat (and maybe throw Gaudette into the mix) as our two scoring line centers long term. RNH would very quickly become an extremely expensive white elephant on this roster.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

Are you maybe forgetting that that statement means literally zero teams were willing to trade even a 7th rounder for this player?

I don't think RNH would get to waivers, because there are desperate enough GMs very thin at center ice position who would probably take a chance with him, but IF he did end up in waivers, I wouldn't pick him up either.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol

not only would i take rnh of waivers, but i would pay a 4th rounder and reid boucher to beat out the avs!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Waivers might mean that teams aren't willing to send a 7th rounder for a player, but it doesn't mean that he's so bad that you need an asset attached to him to move (ie. Eriksson). You just need a similarly overpaid asset going the other way.

I'd trade Sutter and a pick for RNH for example, moreso to get rid of Sutter's contract than to actually acquire RNH.

Crazy that ten years after the implementation of the cap that people still have such difficulty understanding opportunity costs. I'd also hugely hesitate to take Toews off waivers...

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
With long term injuries on dee, just had an agent ask me if I have heard the #Canucks are talking to Tampa Bay about D Slater Koekkoek.

Rick dahliwal

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

f3c.gif

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Gaunce for koekoekok?

Can't see Jimbo dealing Gaunce. He's a disappointing 1st round pick drafted between 2010-2012 and that's exactly the assets he's looking to acquire more of.

If you're looking at what players we might acquire next save yourself some time and look through the 2010-2012 drafts. Koekkoek fits the criteria so I can't say im surprised by Jimbo's interest in him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Waivers might mean that teams aren't willing to send a 7th rounder for a player, but it doesn't mean that he's so bad that you need an asset attached to him to move (ie. Eriksson). You just need a similarly overpaid asset going the other way.

I'd trade Sutter and a pick for RNH for example, moreso to get rid of Sutter's contract than to actually acquire RNH.

Crazy that ten years after the implementation of the cap that people still have such difficulty understanding opportunity costs. I'd also hugely hesitate to take Toews off waivers...

Exactly.

I wouldn't take Toews off waivers. Or Carey Price. Or Shea Weber. Or all kinds of really good players with terrible contracts.

It's actually 12 years since the cap was implemented and it's crazy that people still don't understand this and analysis doesn't go past 'oh, good player! of course you'd want that good player!'

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
With long term injuries on dee, just had an agent ask me if I have heard the #Canucks are talking to Tampa Bay about D Slater Koekkoek.

Rick dahliwal

How is 4-6 weeks 'long-term'? Especially since Edler is already two weeks into his recovery.

And didn't we sign a guy like Wiercioch to improve our depth specifically for this sort of situation?

Having 2 defenders injured at the same time is a perfectly normal situation and shouldn't change anything. That management feels pressure about this is just nuts.

Also Koekkoek is yet another busting prospect/age gap acquisition! Yay!

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
How is 4-6 weeks 'long-term'? Especially since Edler is already two weeks into his recovery.

And didn't we sign a guy like Wiercioch to improve our depth specifically for this sort of situation?

Having 2 defenders injured at the same time is a perfectly normal situation and shouldn't change anything. That management feels pressure about this is just nuts.

I am not wishing this on anyone,but every year with our top 2 guys happens...All ready new the Edler one was going to happen.But Stech,dam.....I can see Jimbo just itching to pull the trigger on somthing...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

It's really hard to not criticize Benning's intelligence as a person rather than just his moves when he does shit like this. The guy has the memory of a goldfish if he's actually shocked that a whole two defenseman are injured at the same time. This is the very reason people here in 2014 were upset about Garrison being moved; that move may have been correct in isolation, but the reason why they made it remains incorrect to this day.

For anyone with a Jimbo-like memory, Benning justified the move by touting that they had an extra top-4 defenseman with Garrison in the lineup... and then proceeded to play stretches with only one or two of them in the lineup. At the time this was a huge shock to Jim Benning. That, combined with all of the injuries last year (and his thirty f***ing years of experience in the sport before that) really should have taught him a lesson. Guess not.

And it is still insane that Benning's dinosaur mentality isn't fixated fully on players that were good ten years ago from his "glory days" (although Vanek and Miller fit this mold), but rather on players with high pedigree back in 2014. We're accumulating players that were highly coveted back then as if what they've done since doesn't matter. Pouliot-Koekkoek is the sort of pairing that people on here and EA GM's fantasized about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad