Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
See that's the this I don't know that the defense needs much.

The reason I say that is because you got 3 of your top 4 out and your 7th or 8th too and you are still able to put together a top 4 with 4 NHL D men on it, it's not the best top 4 far from it but they can run a top 4 with 4 NHL D men on it

Eventually Morgan, Brodie and Benn will be back and then you got.

Morgan
Brodie
Gio
Holl
Sandin
Lilly
Benn
Mete
Holowell

That's 9 deep and we know they are 9 deep because #8 and #9 are in the top 6 so far it's working.

And there is a chance Muzzin comes back for game 1 of the playoffs though that's by no means a sure thing.

But If he does that's 10 deep

Connor Timmins makes 11 at best he's 10.

That's not to say that If they picked up Schenn, or Jensen at the deadline that it would be a bad thing, it wouldn't be.

But they are showing that they are at least 9 deep so the pressure to get another D man is lessoned.

Forward is the priority now

That would work too.
That defense might be great on Tuesday in the regular season but it won’t cut it in the playoff… you can have 20 guy you can only dresse 6 of them and you need to rely on 4 of them, with all the injuries there is a danger no one will be fresh for the playoff and when you add guy like Nylander that are allergic to corners, It doesn't strike me has a team that build for the playoff and defense will ultimately be it down fall.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Would a 1st '23 + Niemelä work, for ROR @ 50%?

Also, if Armstrong wants some ready-to-go assets, how about Robertson+Niemelä?

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think he meant they don’t have high end blue chip prospects. Every team has a prospect pool so yes they have prospects.

Knies is the closest thing to blue chip but I don’t think he’s quite that. Outside of him, some good depth in their pool but nothing that screams top 6 F or top 4 D

Would a 1st '23 + Niemelä work, for ROR @ 50%?

Also, if Armstrong wants some ready-to-go assets, how about Robertson+Niemelä?
I think he prefers the 1st and Niemela which I think would be enough for ROR.

Robertson is not worth a 1st.

Reactions: Visnovsky

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
I like him too but I don’t think you get him unless you are dealing them better RD. He’s playing in top 4 now from what I gather. Knies would be my target. Maybe Villeneuve with him.
Yep you are probably right. I would still ask though! Don't know much about Villeneuve but I know Knies is supposed to be a good one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree with the thought of moving Tavares to the wing soon, as at his age, it will get harder and harder for him to keep up at Centre. He'd still be awesome for years on the wing(just like Tampa & Stamkos...). And ROR is very good defensively.

I'm in.

It's not even about it getting more difficult for Tavares to play center because at 32 years old there is an argument to be made he's playing the best hockey of his career or damn close to it.

It's about the options it creates.

You can put Tavares on the wing

You can put ROR on the wing

You can run a 3 headed monster of

Matthews
Tavares
ROR

down the middle should the situation call for It

So many options

Reactions: EK392000

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Oh god, this would cost Tim Hortons a lot of money in defense spending.

yellow-road-crossing-pole-parking-260nw-342518291.jpg

Attachments

• road-block-pole-in-straight-line.jpg
    road-block-pole-in-straight-line.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not even about it getting more difficult for Tavares to play center because at 32 years old there is an argument to be made he's playing the best hockey of his career or damn close to it.

Matthews
Tavares
ROR

So many options

From the outside looking in, I don't see the Leafs moving Tavares to wing. He's not 35+. If the Leafs trade for ROR, they are looking for a above average 3C and that 3 headed monster you are talking about.

Personally, I think the Leafs need to go after mobile/physical types on D. Leafs are doing a wonderful job at sustaining the injuries on D and still winning but remember, these are regular season standards.

Add another Giordano type at the deadline (or two). Then if you have cap room left, try ROR or even Monahan types at 3C. Team becomes even better in the trenches and when scoring gets very tough, you can still win a 1-0 or 2-1 game.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

Matthews
Tavares
ROR

So many options
I'd run the latter option, with Robertson flanking ROR. Having a defensively responsible C will allow Robertson to just worry about shooting the puck.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The thing is, I don’t trust this core. Leafs will be trading these prime time assets just to get them over the hump and win 1 round? Show me you can do something in the playoffs, then you trade prime time assets that can push you over the hump and win the whole thing.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If we end up as sellers my top target would be Liljegren in an O'Reilly deal if possible. Love his game and think he would be a good fit for us.

edit: i do think first and good prospect will end up ultimately being the return, just saying who I would try and target
You can ask for him but we won't go for it, Liljergen looks like he can be a top pair RHD for years to come. He has the tools for an ideal modern defenseman, imo

How has ROR's game been since his rough start? Is he still really good or are we looking at a situation where his reputation is higher than his current play

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
You can ask for him but we won't go for it, Liljergen looks like he can be a top pair RHD for years to come. He has the tools for an ideal modern defenseman, imo

How has ROR's game been since his rough start? Is he still really good or are we looking at a situation where his reputation is higher than his current play
It's been a fair bit better though he is not firing on all cylinders yet. The Blues as a whole are just one giant question mark right now so tbh it is hard to say for sure.

Reactions: leafsfan5

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's been a fair bit better though he is not firing on all cylinders yet. The Blues as a whole are just one giant question mark right now so tbh it is hard to say for sure.
That makes sense, if Dubas is interested I hope they scout ROR for a while to make sure we know what we're getting here. A repeat of Foligno can't happen

Reactions: Kelly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad