Value of: ROR to the Leafs at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
None of those three should be included for a rental. Sandin plays top 4 and Robertson has looked really good, just needs to add a little strength. Knies for obvious reasons won't be traded. 2023 1st + 2024 2nd + b prospect and kerfoot for cap.
disagree. while ror has had a bad start he's a high end piece for a contender. dubas has a lot of pressure riding on him for results this year.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would think Blues would prioritize guy like Knies in return over a late 1st, as Army doesn't want long rebuild. Whomever we draft with late 1st is likely 2-3 years away from making club and maybe longer before he can make impact. Knies looks like he could potentially make club as soon as next year. That matters.

So I'd think we would rather have Knies and a 2nd versus a 1st and most any other Leaf prospect (we don't value small guys as much as y'all do and most of your other top prospects are little).

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
This month will be the true test on whether Army stands pat or sells. The schedule is pretty rough this month. I’d say a 1st and a good prospect/young roster player is definitely the starting point.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
If we end up as sellers my top target would be Liljegren in an O'Reilly deal if possible. Love his game and think he would be a good fit for us.

edit: i do think first and good prospect will end up ultimately being the return, just saying who I would try and target

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
disagree. while ror has had a bad start he's a high end piece for a contender. dubas has a lot of pressure riding on him for results this year.
Past precedent is important to consider. Also dubas may be under some pressure but even with torontos injuries this is the most complete the team has played since drafting Marner, Matthews, and Nylander.

If ROR is on the table you do what you need to do to get it done because that is a difference maker.

I watched the Blues run when they won the cup and they won it arguably BECAUSE of him.

Him and Binner without them, they do not win the cup and every Blues fan will back me on that especially when it comes ROR.

If he's on the table you do what you need to do to get it done.
Well that was quite the sell job on ROR. I still wouldn't move Knies though. I see knies eventually becoming a modern version of prime Todd bertuzzi. It's lofty expectations but the way he plays the game is fantastic.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
I think it would take Knies for the Blues to part with ROR. That return would be “sellable” to the fan base, and signal more of a retool than a rebuild. His ties with Snuggs would help.

As for TOR, they do it cause this could legitimately win them a cup. He would check the opposing teams top lines when they’re home in the playoffs, the matchups issues that could create for other teams would be big. He’s exactly the type of add that room could use, he gels and I think the room would respect/listen to him. He had a rough start, but he’s an absolute gamer and turns it up when it matters.

Reactions: Blueston and mab894

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ROR would be nice but I feel like Toronto #1 priority would be to improve their D especially for playoff hockey. If ROR is available there will be a bidding war(specially since he doesn’t have a NTC) not even sure the leafs have the asset to pull it off and even if they did it would leave the team with very little flexibility to do anything else with all the injury on D maybe next year is the one to be all in, so spending asset on a rental doesn’t seem like the best move. The goal is to ice the best team not just the best top 6.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Would move a 1st + for ROR, hard no to Knies, who along with Robertson, Liljegren and Sandin will hopefully be the cheap secondary support this team needs.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Yeah, fans will want to discuss sexy prospects like a 1st+Knies offer, but ultimately it would be a Sanford or Foley. Someone projected to play games, but not a huge part. I remember a lot of us were hoping for Vrana. If we could get Knies as the main piece, that would be ideal, would definitely fit Army's target of more of a quick retool and keep the new core age around Thomas and Kyrou, instead of a rebuild where the Thomas/Kyrou would almost age out of the next core.

But, I'm expecting deals to basically be 1st+conditional pick+prospect projected to play games. No point in getting eyes set on any specific prospect. We did that when all the deals for an extended Shattenkirk leaked, and then we ended up with Sam Bradford.
Forgot about the Sam Bradford saga good times

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
ROR would be nice but I feel like Toronto #1 priority would be to improve their D especially for playoff hockey. If ROR is available there will be a bidding war(specially since he doesn’t have a NTC) not even sure the leafs have the asset to pull it off and even if they did it would leave the team with very little flexibility to do anything else with all the injury on D maybe next year is the one to be all in, so spending asset on a rental doesn’t seem like the best move. The goal is to ice the best team not just the best top 6.
Torontos D is perfectly fine, especially when Reilly and Brodie are back. ROR should be the target because we can extend him.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
ROR is the dream trade for Toronto. He would be my #1 target at the deadline. He brings selke level play, great on draws, great defensively, but he can also score against quality competition. Toronto doesn't really have a set 3C and they've had a problem getting scoring from the bottom-6 in the playoffs, ROR can drive the play on that line. They can also shift him up to line #1 or #2 to spark some offense when it runs cold and gain a valuable secondary PP unit guy. He's really the exact missing piece up front. He can fill any hole they need him too. If he goes on a run and he is okay with how he is used I'd hope they try to re-sign him, he's getting older, the team is good and he's from the area, so the potential for a match is there.

2023 1st rd. pick + 2024 2nd rd. pick + B-level Prospect

The Leafs will sign Knies at seasons end and will gain a physical power forward to go into the playoffs with that way. So, the only other move that really HAS to be made would be to fix the 3C hole. ROR, Horvat, Toews or Monahan. One of them will be a Leaf at the deadline.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Here's the issue is that no matter what trade the leafs are in on this spring everyones going to ask for Knies and that's likely where I draw the line. I'd rather just sign Knies and start playing him. Yes he's no ror but at least we're playing our own kids.

I'd easily trade Sandin but only for another d man coming back with term. No one year rentals.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Make a deal for Parayko. I would still want a 1st + Knies. I don’t expect Army to trade a lot of players but I wish he would. Tarasenko, Schenn, ROR, Parayko, Krug, Barbashev, & Mikkola should all be available.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Make a deal for Parayko. I would still want a 1st + Knies. I don’t expect Army to trade a lot of players but I wish he would. Tarasenko, Schenn, ROR, Parayko, Krug, Barbashev, & Mikkola should all be available.
Is Parayko still good? If he is id deal Knies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If we end up as sellers my top target would be Liljegren in an O'Reilly deal if possible. Love his game and think he would be a good fit for us.

edit: i do think first and good prospect will end up ultimately being the return, just saying who I would try and target
I like him too but I don’t think you get him unless you are dealing them better RD. He’s playing in top 4 now from what I gather. Knies would be my target. Maybe Villeneuve with him.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Here's the issue is that no matter what trade the leafs are in on this spring everyones going to ask for Knies and that's likely where I draw the line. I'd rather just sign Knies and start playing him. Yes he's no ror but at least we're playing our own kids.

I'd easily trade Sandin but only for another d man coming back with term. No one year rentals.
I'd expect that if the Leafs were interested in ROR, we could work out a sign and trade situation if Knies was available as part of the return.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If the leafs did acquire him I think I’d move ROR to the wing not Tavares. He would look nice as the winger on the Matthews and Nylander line.

O’Reilly-Matthews-Nylander
Bunting—Tavares—Marner

I think he could be a good add but I wouldn’t want him as a 2C line driver. At this point he’s more of a complimentary piece in a top 6 not a line driver.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

See that's the this I don't know that the defense needs much.

The reason I say that is because you got 3 of your top 4 out and your 7th or 8th too and you are still able to put together a top 4 with 4 NHL D men on it, it's not the best top 4 far from it but they can run a top 4 with 4 NHL D men on it

Eventually Morgan, Brodie and Benn will be back and then you got.

Morgan
Brodie
Gio
Holl
Sandin
Lilly
Benn
Mete
Holowell

That's 9 deep and we know they are 9 deep because #8 and #9 are in the top 6 so far it's working.

And there is a chance Muzzin comes back for game 1 of the playoffs though that's by no means a sure thing.

But If he does that's 10 deep

Connor Timmins makes 11 at best he's 10.

That's not to say that If they picked up Schenn, or Jensen at the deadline that it would be a bad thing, it wouldn't be.

But they are showing that they are at least 9 deep so the pressure to get another D man is lessoned.

Forward is the priority now

If the leafs did acquire him I think I’d move ROR to the wing not Tavares. He would look nice as the winger on the Matthews and Nylander line.

O’Reilly-Matthews-Nylander
Bunting—Tavares—Marner

I think he could be a good add but I wouldn’t want him as a 2C line driver. At this point he’s more of a complimentary piece in a top 6 not a line driver.

That would work too.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
People say Toronto needs a top 6 winger and they aren't wrong that's why if they went out and got Tank from the Blues you wouldn't see me complain one bit the thought of Tank with Matthews and Marner or Matthews and Nylander is something that would be fun to watch.

That being said if the Leafs are going to pay the big price for a Blue, as fun as Tank would be and make no mistake I would be all for it.

ROR kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

ROR could be the #2 center on the Leafs and it allow them to move Tavares to the wing and solve the wing issue.

It would allow the Leafs a ton of options.

They could run Tavares Matthews Marner

Or Tavares Matthews Nylander

Or Tavares ROR Marner

and then If you ever needed to you could always run a 3 headed monster of Matthews Tavares ROR down the middle should the situation call for It during a game.

I think ROR is the guy to target because it creates so many options.
ROR kind of player Toronto needs but costs be high. Many teams will bid high on him

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Liljegren's not for sale. He's a regular now.

Blues fans need to keep in mind it could be a buyers market this deadline. All of Toews, Kane, Horvat, Larkin, Ror, Tarasenko, Meier might be available so the blues might not be allowed to be too picky about which prospects are coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad