Confirmed with Link: RoR and Acciari to Toronto for 1st 23, 2nd 24, 3rd 23, Abramov, and Gaudette

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
3 draft picks. And 2 nothing burgers.
Not sure it's fair to call Abramov a "nothing burger".
He's still only 21 and has some really slick mitts. Definitely needs to get bigger but I think he's still got the upside to be a decent 2nd/3rd line center/lw(a Donskoi type).

He may not be a bluechip prospect, but I think he's closer to B level than he is to C level.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
My thinking is that there is a mad rush to collect as many picks as possible....as if that is the answer.

Do some of you realize that these picks may be duds...and that some will take years to materialize at the NHL level?

We gave away LEGIT players who can produce at the NHL level.
You forgot the “…who were likely leaving in the off-season anyway” part.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
My thinking is that there is a mad rush to collect as many picks as possible....as if that is the answer.

Do some of you realize that these picks may be duds...and that some will take years to materialize at the NHL level?

You realize they were UFA. They were likely leaving. If they really want to be here we can still sign them. No downside here.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

One was by necessity and the others by circumstance. Another may price himself off of the roster due to some rough contracts on the books currently. If you already know you're an awful team and have no realistic chance at winning a cup, you absolutely get assets in return. It would a failure on the GM's part if he didn't do something like this in a situation this bad.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

Yes, lets instead be a bad team (which we have unquestionably been this year) that is getting older, and re-sign more players entering there 30's to long term contracts. Because that is clearly been working for us right now.

We have mediocre prospects, an aging roster, and no way of turning it around in the short term other then making moves like this. We got the draft pick that became Jordan Kyrou by trading Brian Elliot. We got the pick that became Jordan Binnington by trading Eric Brewer. The draft pick we used to take Ivan Barbashev we got for trading Perron to Edmonton back in the way. It's how you build.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

The answer is managing assets/value. These dudes are free agents and the Blues are bad. Do you want them simply to keep the same bad team? The only way to recoup value on aging and free agent players when you're not going to make the playoffs is to sell them off. If they had acquired NHL-ready players or if they use those picks to acquire other young players under contract, that's fine; but the issue is not trading away these players, it's how you go about building into a good team again. Do you see another path?

I strongly invite you to look at the series of similar decisions the Blues made on their way to the Cup. Trading Stastny, the room that made for acquiring O'Reilly. Not tying themselves to a Backes contract. There is no scenario in which you simply sit on your hands and one of the oldest teams in the league improves by huffing magic fumes.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So we get a haul of picks, and got Minnesota to take on 25% of ROR's salary for only Toronto's 4th round pick?!

Armstrong did another great job with this one. I'd love to resign Acciari in the offseason and am open to ROR if he wants to come back on a very team friendly deal.

Beyond that I guess it's captain Schenn now?

Edit: I'm expecting us not to use all of these picks we are picking up at the draft. I have a feeling whichever ends up being the lowest could be packaged in a deal to bring in the next Buchnevich type of acquisition.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Not sure it's fair to call Abramov a "nothing burger".
He's still only 21 and has some really slick mitts. Definitely needs to get bigger but I think he's still got the upside to be a decent 2nd/3rd line center/lw(a Donskoi type).

He may not be a bluechip prospect, but I think he's closer to B level than he is to C level.
He had a rough first year in the AHL last year, but he's progressed in his development and upped his production this year. A lot more intriguing than Hunter Skinner.

Reactions: mk80

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto was probably the team that made most since for Toews too to fit this same role. Us rushing to the deadline and undercutting the Blackhawks is legitimately my favorite thing they've done this season.
Considering what the Leafs gave up I'm glad it was for O'Reilly rather than Toews at this point in their careers. Lets just hope that ROR is healthy and ready to go and we can see playoff ROR doing work for the Leafs. :) ;) :)

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
ROR will be hard to replace.

All you giddy kids with your collection of draft picks like pokeman cards have a LOT to prove....and it will take time to materialize. I doubt ROR will return after the playoffs. The time to re-sign him has passed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

All you giddy kids with your collection of draft picks like pokeman cards have a LOT to prove....and it will take time to materialize. I doubt ROR will return after the playoffs. The time to re-sign him has passed.
His time has passed. While it would be surprising if any of these picks end up as good as ROR was for us over last 5 years, it would be even more surprising if ROR is as good over next 5 years as he was last 5.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
My immediate reaction is that Dubas did well by not caving in and standing firm with certain pieces of the puzzle.

This might be a job-saving move by Kyle Dubas.

I'm ok with the return, so far, but I wanted a 2023 2nd to select a defenseman.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is the right move for both clubs. ROR was the exact element they needed and Acciari gives them a bottom six version of it.

Great deadline so far and they still have Barbashev.

Doug Armstrong is the guy taking the needle on and off the record in the musical chairs game.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

We. Are. Bad. Now. And signing old players is just a way to stay bad.

This isn't the team that won the cup anymore. We have a bottom 10 defense we are locked into long term. We are 8 points out of a playoff spot, and even if we got in, there is no underlying reason to think this team could threaten the West anymore. At minimum, we had to re-tool and resupply a prospect pool that only has one player that would make a top 50 prospect list.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I guess that means the Leafs won't trade for Patrick Kane anytime soon.
I don't know.
Between this and the subsequent moves with Simmonds/Holmberg they somehow ended up with 4 mil in cap space out of this.
Not sure they have the assets left to pull off a Kane trade, but crazier things have happened.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We. Are. Bad. Now. And signing old players is just a way to stay bad.

This isn't the team that won the cup anymore. We have a bottom 10 defense we are locked into long term. We are 8 points out of a playoff spot, and even if we got in, there is no underlying reason to think this team could threaten the West anymore. At minimum, we had to re-tool and resupply a prospect pool that only has one player that would make a top 50 prospect list.

I'm not sure 18 and 25 are ready to lead this team.

I think we are REALLY gonna suck now...and it will be for several years

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Toronto fans get a lot of hate but I'm all for the Leafs winning the Cup this year. I can't imagine they'll have a deeper roster to try it with. If the Leafs win the Cup it would be good for hockey.
hunnert

The Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup this season would be glorious.

Reactions: eibyyz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad