Confirmed with Link: RoR and Acciari to Toronto for 1st 23, 2nd 24, 3rd 23, Abramov, and Gaudette

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
There is zero percent chance I’m spending 2+ 1st rounders on a player with only 2 yrs of control. That would be idiotic.
Like I said whether they should do it is a separate question from whether Chychrun is the type of player Armstrong is referencing.

I think Armstrong has a price in mind such as one of the late firsts + Bolduc/Neighbours that he's willing to spend on a guy like Chychrun which is lower than what Bill Armstrong is seeking but is also not nothing. And if Chychrun isn't extending they can recoup that 1st back later so you're risking a prospect for a player now who you have no particular reason to believe simply walks at the end.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
That has tons in there to digest and think about. Literally every single question and answer took us through prolonged discussions we have had here.

First reaction is regarding something he said at the end, he said specifically that of all the teams who have re-whatevered he sees the Blues following the LA Kings model of a quick turnaround. He cited NJ, Detroit and Buffalo as teams that have taken 5-7 years and does not want to be that.

It's also very clear that things remain fluid right now. It really sounds like they want to use those firsts to get players "under 26" and I would bet that keeping all the picks and drafting players, while a possibility we are enthused about based on our track record, is the second choice if the players he wants aren't available.

Total gut feeling ... I think he has an idea of a 1st+ type package that he will pay for Chychrun and he's waiting to see if Arizona doesn't get the premium they are hoping for from somewhere else.
It's interesting how multiple can view the same thing and have different views. :)

It seemed to me that he's open to moving firsts for younger players, but I didn't come away with him wanting to move all three. I think it's more likely than not he'll move one for a player, but not all 3.

I do agree that it seems like he doesn't have a vision right now what the immediate seasons look like.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Like I said whether they should do it is a separate question from whether Chychrun is the type of player Armstrong is referencing.

I think Armstrong has a price in mind such as one of the late firsts + Bolduc/Neighbours that he's willing to spend on a guy like Chychrun which is lower than what Bill Armstrong is seeking but is also not nothing. And if Chychrun isn't extending they can recoup that 1st back later so you're risking a prospect for a player now who you have no particular reason to believe simply walks at the end.

That’s a fair argument. But I’m not parting with Bolduc. If they can get a late first for Barbs, I’d be a little more willing to send a couple late 1sts and Perunovich

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's interesting how multiple can view the same thing and have different views. :)

It seemed to me that he's open to moving firsts for younger players, but I didn't come away with him wanting to move all three. I think it's more likely than not he'll move one for a player, but not all 3.

I do agree that it seems like he doesn't have a vision right now what the immediate seasons look like.
I never said "all 3" I said "those picks" and I meant the ones he just brought in. The questions were, what are you going to do with those picks you just got and he said he might draft them all or use them to move around within the draft, or trade them for current NHL players like recent trades for Faulk Leddy and Buchnevich.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I never said "all 3" I said "those picks" and I meant the ones he just brought in. The questions were, what are you going to do with those picks you just got and he said he might draft them all or use them to move around within the draft, or trade them for current NHL players like recent trades for Faulk Leddy and Buchnevich.
And I'm fine with that approach if it's for the right player(s).

Also, not directing this part at you: I do think that it's also a good thing to replenish the system as it's been depleted for awhile in terms of depth of high end players due to continuously using picks to improve the NHL roster(which, for the most part, were the right moves) and drafting late.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
And I'm fine with that approach if it's for the right player(s).

Also, not directing this part at you: I do think that it's also a good thing to replenish the system as it's been depleted for awhile in terms of depth of high end players due to continuously using picks to improve the NHL roster(which, for the most part, were the right moves) and drafting late.
It is and I think most of us are happy to get this influx of prospects and draft with them, but where they need replenishment is upper end defensive prospects. A couple of near to medium term goalie prospects, lots of 4-7 defensemen in the system and a viable prospect for lines 1, 2, and 3 up front.

And this particular draft is a little dodgy for defense prospects, and that combined with Armstrong's comments about wanting to speed this rebound up like LA make me think the pro scouts choosing the right defenseman(men) is where the focus is. I think it'll be a combination of extra picks made AND one or two significant prospects.

As others have mentioned it's probably better to trade the picks for the known prospects/players at the draft itself when the draft picks are at their highest value.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
It is and I think most of us are happy to get this influx of prospects and draft with them, but where they need replenishment is upper end defensive prospects. A couple of near to medium term goalie prospects, lots of 4-7 defensemen in the system and a viable prospect for lines 1, 2, and 3 up front.

And this particular draft is a little dodgy for defense prospects, and that combined with Armstrong's comments about wanting to speed this rebound up like LA make me think the pro scouts choosing the right defenseman(men) is where the focus is. I think it'll be a combination of extra picks made AND one or two significant prospects.

As others have mentioned it's probably better to trade the picks for the known prospects/players at the draft itself when the draft picks are at their highest value.
Yeah, acquiring/projecting a defenseman to be a top pairing or top 4 player is very hard to do as well as the time and length it takes for defensemen to develop vs a forward can make an impact sooner and is usually easier to tell if they can be a top 6 caliber guy or not.

I’d trade a first + other picks for a bonafide high end defensemen if possible (that’s hard to do) vs drafting one while addressing overall depth and getting a high end forward prospect.

Replacing ROR is going to suck as will Schenn’s inevitable decline possibly accelerating due to having to have play C more, but I think the Blues down the middle can be OK but still need to find another 2C long-term who doesn’t necessarily have to be ROR but can be better than Schenn.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Replacing ROR is going to suck as will Schenn’s inevitable decline possibly accelerating due to having to have play C more, but I think the Blues down the middle can be OK but still need to find another 2C long-term who doesn’t necessarily have to be ROR but can be better than Schenn.
Let's see what our top pick this year turns into ... there's a solid chance this player will be an impact center who'll be on the roster 1-2 years out.

Reactions: tfriede2

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Let's see what our top pick this year turns into ... there's a solid chance this player will be an impact center who'll be on the roster 1-2 years out.
This draft class is deep and I’m certainly not ruling that out. It’d be easier filling that void than D.

After both D and C are addressed, next would be finding Tarasenko’s eventual replacement. Which will be easier to do than those other two positions.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This draft class is deep and I’m certainly not ruling that out. It’d be easier filling that void than D.

After both D and C are addressed, next would be finding Tarasenko’s eventual replacement. Which will be easier to do than those other two positions.
If you haven't, go into the prospects thread and get a load of the shots that Bolduc and Snuggles have ... they are top class NHL caliber shots. Snuggles in particular I think is a legitimate Tarasenko replacement.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Might as well trade Buch this offseason as well then.

So Snuggerud is our Perron replacement.
I agree on the point about Buchnevich and Chychrun.

I think Kyrou is a true second liner, Perron is a first liner and Tarasenko is a first liner and Snuggles is going to be a first liner. As Armstrong made clear during his press conference today the thing about young players he has no doubt about is their top end ability but it's how bad they look when they're bad. And obviously Perron and Tarasenko had a way higher floor than Kyrou. I think Snuggles will also have a floor way higher than Kyrou's floor.

They all have really great shots.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

I think Kyrou is a true second liner, Perron is a first liner and Tarasenko is a first liner and Snuggles is going to be a first liner. As Armstrong made clear during his press conference today the thing about young players he has no doubt about is their top end ability but it's how bad they look when they're bad. And obviously Perron and Tarasenko had a way higher floor than Kyrou. I think Snuggles will also have a floor way higher than Kyrou's floor.

Production wise I think Kyrou will be on Par or Surpass Tarasenko, especially if he stays healthy. I feel at the end of everything those two will end up very similar just slightly different styles (Kyrou is more of a Playmaking Sniper while Tarasenko is more of a Power Forward Sniper).

Everything I've seen from Snuggy he has all of the tools to surpass Perron in production while being good defensively. I truly believe both Kyrou and Snuggles ends up as 1A and 1B.

The issue now is to find that Center to meld with one of them. Which i think we could get this draft.

In a couple years (if resign Buchy)

Buchy-???-Snuggy
Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou

I think both of these lines can produce at top line production. One would have more of a defensive Zone start and the other would be the offensive zone start.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

2nd liner don’t produce at a point per game pace. Most produce on the high end 40-50 points. You can say he isnt defensively resoonsible, which is true, but to pretend he is a second liner…….

Reactions: DoubleK81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad