Confirmed with Link: RoR and Acciari to Toronto for 1st 23, 2nd 24, 3rd 23, Abramov, and Gaudette

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Leaf’s fan coming in peace.

I don’t watch much Western Conference hockey. So, I haven’t seen a ton of ROR, I am definitely familiar with Acciari.

Can I ask:

1. I know how good ROR is on draws and defensively. What I don’t know is how he plays offensively. Is he more of a playmaker or more of a trigger man.

2. I assume with his lack of speed he needs to have line mates with a higher levels of puck carrying and speed.

Thanks…
He's versatile, he can score (he's a pretty steady 20+ pace goal scorer) and he can distribute. I would say that while he's not fast, he is mentally as quick as it gets, and so he gets to spots out of cleverness and efficiency faster. His mind compensates for the speed in a way that you really don't notice the speed. That is why even though he is "slow" he was very effective at outplaying one of the world's fastest skaters in Nathan McKinnon last year. ROR has this weird curved stick and he uses it to make small and unusual on-ice plays and you will come to appreciate that part of his offense.

Acciari has absolutely been the Blues' most consistently strong player throughout the season. We have all been nothing but impressed with him. He is relentless and physical and both the two guys you just got are going to add an element I haven't seen in Leafs playoffs recently.

Congratulations, we appreciate the return we got and you just got two very strong players. There is no fool's gold heading your way, this was a legit deadline move.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Leaf’s fan coming in peace.

I don’t watch much Western Conference hockey. So, I haven’t seen a ton of ROR, I am definitely familiar with Acciari.

Can I ask:

1. I know how good ROR is on draws and defensively. What I don’t know is how he plays offensively. Is he more of a playmaker or more of a trigger man.

2. I assume with his lack of speed he needs to have line mates with a higher levels of puck carrying and speed.

Thanks…
He's very good on draws. I believe he was behind only Bergeron in faceoff wins last season. He's definitely more of a grinding playmaker.

He actually struggled this season on a line with the fastest player on the Blues Jordan Kyrou. It feels like at this point in his career he needs to be on a line with more physical players who can bury the plays he helps set up.

Reactions: eibyyz and Budz

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Assigned Gaudette to Springfield Thunderbirds this morning. Recalled Alexandrov and Highmore to join the team in Ottawa.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Assigned Gaudette to Springfield Thunderbirds this morning. Recalled Alexandrov and Highmore to join the team in Ottawa.

Good for Highmore. He has been having a really good season in Springfield, and not been recalled before. Glad he gets his cup of coffee and NHL paycheck. He's not a long term nhl solution for us, but he deserves a call-up and increased salary.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I understand why some people are down on him when they only see O'Reilly's +/- this year, but he's going to make a lot of people on this forum look stupid the rest of this year.

I'm not sure that's going to get Toronto into the second round, but maybe O'Reilly is truly the curse breaker, like Theo Epstein.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I understand why some people are down on him when they only see O'Reilly's +/- this year, but he's going to make a lot of people on this forum look stupid the rest of this year.

I'm not sure that's going to get Toronto into the second round, but maybe O'Reilly is truly the curse breaker, like Theo Epstein.

I don't think any of us think ROR is suddenly a bad player, that's mostly just a "I don't watch this team but want to find a reason to criticize" statement. Nobody with a clue has cared about +- for well over a decade.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I don't think any of us think ROR is suddenly a bad player, that's mostly just a "I don't watch this team but want to find a reason to criticize" statement. Nobody with a clue has cared about +- for well over a decade.
I'm more talking about dozens of people in the thread on the main trade forum, not anyone on the Blues forum. Sorry, that wasn't very clear. And I'm sure it's true none of them watch him but want to criticize anyway.

Reactions: Thallis

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm more talking about dozens of people in the thread on the main trade forum, not anyone on the Blues forum. Sorry, that wasn't very clear. And I'm sure it's true none of them watch him but want to criticize anyway.

Discussion around the Leafs is awful online because it's been poisoned by their status of the biggest team in Canada. Some people want to tell themselves they didn't make the leafs better. Leafs fans spent the run up playing GM and trying to pay as little as possible. Now leaf fans want to convince themselves and others that the cost is awful actually and they're the smartest most bestest franchise. It's best to tune out those kinds of voices and try to laser in on people who actually have something to say.

Reactions: Bluesish

Bluesish

Embrace Mediocracy
Nov 19, 2011
Rust Belt, USA
Discussion around the Leafs is awful online because it's been poisoned by their status of the biggest team in Canada. Some people want to tell themselves they didn't make the leafs better. Leafs fans spent the run up playing GM and trying to pay as little as possible. Now leaf fans want to convince themselves and others that the cost is awful actually and they're the smartest most bestest franchise. It's best to tune out those kinds of voices and try to laser in on people who actually have something to say.
That TimeZone guy on the main boards is insufferable. My guess is he has some sort of inferiority complex where he needs to feel that his team 'won' the deal.

Overall, I'm happy with the return, for ROR, and for all the Leafs fans that have hope this year. I think this trade will be good for both teams.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Watching Armstrong's presser live right now.

Found it interesting regarding his comments of if he knows when he expects the team to contend again. He said around August (after draft and FA).

Not that I have high expectations, but that shows to me a willingness to trade a first for a player between 24-26.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Found it interesting regarding his comments of if he knows when he expects the team to contend again. He said around August (after draft and FA).

Not that I have high expectations, but that shows to me a willingness to trade a first for a player between 24-26.
I would love to get Miller from the Rangers if they can't agree on a deal.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Watching Armstrong's presser live right now.

That has tons in there to digest and think about. Literally every single question and answer took us through prolonged discussions we have had here.

First reaction is regarding something he said at the end, he said specifically that of all the teams who have re-whatevered he sees the Blues following the LA Kings model of a quick turnaround. He cited NJ, Detroit and Buffalo as teams that have taken 5-7 years and does not want to be that.

It's also very clear that things remain fluid right now. It really sounds like they want to use those firsts to get players "under 26" and I would bet that keeping all the picks and drafting players, while a possibility we are enthused about based on our track record, is the second choice if the players he wants aren't available.

Total gut feeling ... I think he has an idea of a 1st+ type package that he will pay for Chychrun and he's waiting to see if Arizona doesn't get the premium they are hoping for from somewhere else.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That has tons in there to digest and think about. Literally every single question and answer took us through prolonged discussions we have had here.

First reaction is regarding something he said at the end, he said specifically that of all the teams who have re-whatevered he sees the Blues following the LA Kings model of a quick turnaround. He cited NJ, Detroit and Buffalo as teams that have taken 5-7 years and does not want to be that.

It's also very clear that things remain fluid right now. It really sounds like they want to use those firsts to get players "under 26" and I would bet that keeping all the picks and drafting players, while a possibility we are enthused about based on our track record, is the second choice if the players he wants aren't available.

Total gut feeling ... I think he has an idea of a 1st+ type package that he will pay for Chychrun and he's waiting to see if Arizona doesn't get the premium they are hoping for from somewhere else.
He also said that if he does trade for a young player, that player will have term. I just don’t think Chychrun has enough term to justify the risk for Armstrong. But it’ll be interesting to see what happens

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He also said that if he does trade for a young player, that player will have term. I just don’t think Chychrun has enough term to justify the risk for Armstrong. But it’ll be interesting to see what happens
Chychrun qualifies on age and term IMO. The issue is whether you're getting 80 games or 40

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agreed, it really depends on if he feels comfortable extending them. Schenn for example was 26 and had two or three years left. Chychrun would be 24/25 with 2 years left after this season.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
2 years isn’t enough term
What are we debating here? We are identifying types of players with a certain age and term so that they can quickly get back to contending. Chychrun completely qualifies. What are you expecting, 23-25 year olds on 4 and 5 year deals already? That's really rare and the guys on long term are generally already core pieces on their teams. If Chychrun were brought in the idea would not be to let him walk in two years and if the Blues still were a mess they could trade him before the 2025 deadline.

I'm not saying they will or should do it, I am saying that if they did do it then it would certainly not contradict what Armstrong just said about getting those kind of established NHL players.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Another positive about Chychrun's term is directly related to questions concerning his injuries and how injury-prone he is. It basically gives us two years to determine if he is "damaged goods". It is just a question of how much we are willing to pay to risk determining that.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What are we debating here? We are identifying types of players with a certain age and term so that they can quickly get back to contending. Chychrun completely qualifies. What are you expecting, 23-25 year olds on 4 and 5 year deals already? That's really rare and the guys on long term are generally already core pieces on their teams. If Chychrun were brought in the idea would not be to let him walk in two years and if the Blues still were a mess they could trade him before the 2025 deadline.

I'm not saying they will or should do it, I am saying that if they did do it then it would certainly not contradict what Armstrong just said about getting those kind of established NHL players.

There is zero percent chance I’m spending 2+ 1st rounders on a player with only 2 yrs of control. That would be idiotic.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There is zero percent chance I’m spending 2+ 1st rounders on a player with only 2 yrs of control. That would be idiotic.
I agree, Two 1sts for Chychrun for 2 years is too rich for me as well. If BA's price comes down, however, it would be worth considering. Perhaps something like a 1st and Perunovich?

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I agree, Two 1sts for Chychrun for 2 years is too rich for me as well. If BA's price comes down, however, it would be worth considering. Perhaps something like a 1st and Perunovich?

It would have to be one of our late 1sts, not the top 8 one.

Reactions: simon IC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad