Prospect Info: Rookie Camp 2016

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Greetings Duck fans,

I'm a London Knight season ticket holder (and the self-anointed president of the Max Jones' fan club) who's here to contribute to the discussion on Max Jones although I think some posters have already identified correctly Jones' greatest attributes and limitations.
He was a second-line winger on a stacked London Knights' team and would get some playing time near the tail end of a PP.
STRENGTHS: He has explosive speed, physically mature at 18 = a beast, hard shot, and at the risk of sounding cliche, he gives 110% every shift = energizer bunny 2.0. As well, he likes to play a physical game, and has indeed delivered some thunderous body checks. Plays on the edge as some of those 'checks' have resulted in suspensions (e.g. check to the head). Despite his proclivity to be physical, I don't recall him getting into any fights; thus far, that's not part of his game.
WEAKNESSES: He tries to do too much himself = doesn't use his teammates well--a point that other posters have mentioned. Jones is definitely not the 'playmaker type'; he has tunnel vision and his hockey I.Q. needs work. He also developed quite the reputation for embellishment which drew the ire of opposing players, fans, and also didn't escape the notice of referees. You will often see him put his glove to his face or snap his head back to draw a penalty--he really needs to tone that down.
INTANGIBLES: the kid has a great sense of humour, the team comedian in many ways. E.g. his goal celebration last season with teammate Cliff Pu received national attention on Sportsnet. Jones and Pu combined to score a shorthanded goal, and they skated towards one another removed their right glove, and shook hands--rather comical. Perhaps you guys can google it and take a look.
JONES' BREAKOUT MOMENT: London and Sarnia played a home and home on or around New Years. London was short players who were off playing at the World Juniors (e.g. Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi), and in their absence, Jones stepped up big time. Both games went into overtime, and Jones simply schooled the highly touted prospect, Jacob Chychrun. In the first game, Jones had the puck along the boards in the Sarnia zone with Chychrun closing in. Jones spun past him, went in alone and scored. In the second game of the home and home, Jones used his explosive speed to blow past Chychrun, went in on a breakaway and ended the game in style once again.
I apologize for being needlessly prolix, but that should give you guys an understanding of what you can expect from Jones.
Now do me a favour, and send him back to London! :)

I appreciate the write-up.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Can't imagine that Jones will get much more than a few initial preseason games. If he really impresses than he might get his cup of coffee for the first few regular season games. The Ducks staff might think it's beneficial for him to see what the NHL game speed really looks like as he returns back to London motivated to work on his game.

If Jones is on the Ducks regular season roster this year, then either he's channeling some inner Corey Perry or the Ducks' roster is a bigger mess than we would hope. :amazed:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Greetings Duck fans,

I'm a London Knight season ticket holder (and the self-anointed president of the Max Jones' fan club) who's here to contribute to the discussion on Max Jones although I think some posters have already identified correctly Jones' greatest attributes and limitations.
He was a second-line winger on a stacked London Knights' team and would get some playing time near the tail end of a PP.
STRENGTHS: He has explosive speed, physically mature at 18 = a beast, hard shot, and at the risk of sounding cliche, he gives 110% every shift = energizer bunny 2.0. As well, he likes to play a physical game, and has indeed delivered some thunderous body checks. Plays on the edge as some of those 'checks' have resulted in suspensions (e.g. check to the head). Despite his proclivity to be physical, I don't recall him getting into any fights; thus far, that's not part of his game.
WEAKNESSES: He tries to do too much himself = doesn't use his teammates well--a point that other posters have mentioned. Jones is definitely not the 'playmaker type'; he has tunnel vision and his hockey I.Q. needs work. He also developed quite the reputation for embellishment which drew the ire of opposing players, fans, and also didn't escape the notice of referees. You will often see him put his glove to his face or snap his head back to draw a penalty--he really needs to tone that down.
INTANGIBLES: the kid has a great sense of humour, the team comedian in many ways. E.g. his goal celebration last season with teammate Cliff Pu received national attention on Sportsnet. Jones and Pu combined to score a shorthanded goal, and they skated towards one another removed their right glove, and shook hands--rather comical. Perhaps you guys can google it and take a look.
JONES' BREAKOUT MOMENT: London and Sarnia played a home and home on or around New Years. London was short players who were off playing at the World Juniors (e.g. Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi), and in their absence, Jones stepped up big time. Both games went into overtime, and Jones simply schooled the highly touted prospect, Jacob Chychrun. In the first game, Jones had the puck along the boards in the Sarnia zone with Chychrun closing in. Jones spun past him, went in alone and scored. In the second game of the home and home, Jones used his explosive speed to blow past Chychrun, went in on a breakaway and ended the game in style once again.
I apologize for being needlessly prolix, but that should give you guys an understanding of what you can expect from Jones.

Thanks for the write up. Don't worry even thought our forward depth is terrible at the moment there's very little chance he stays in Anaheim. He needs to be getting ice time in all situations, not be used sparingly on an NHL squad.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Greetings Duck fans,

Very appreciated input!

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Jones probably shouldn't play, but the team has left players up unexpectedly before.

Fowler, Lindholm to some extent. DSP especially. I think Etem got more time in his 20 year old season than he really deserved, just like Ritchie.

So who knows.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jones probably shouldn't play, but the team has left players up unexpectedly before.

Fowler, Lindholm to some extent. DSP especially. I think Etem got more time in his 20 year old season than he really deserved, just like Ritchie.

So who knows.

I completely forgot about DSP. That was a trainwreck of an experiment, he clearly wasn't ready and we kept him around almost for the sake of it.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
My problem with Jones is that his weaknesses are his lack of hockey IQ, tunnel vission, and his lack of ability to use his teammates (I guess this all falls under the umbrella of low hockey IQ).

Frankly, from a development standpoint, I cannot think of many (any?) players who had these struggles in Junior and then developed out of it - can anyone think of examples of this?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My problem with Jones is that his weaknesses are his lack of hockey IQ, tunnel vission, and his lack of ability to use his teammates (I guess this all falls under the umbrella of low hockey IQ).

Frankly, from a development standpoint, I cannot think of many (any?) players who had these struggles in Junior and then developed out of it - can anyone think of examples of this?

Not off the top of my head but some guys are physically talented enough to be good players in spite of the tunnel vision.

Oct 18, 2011
i don't think some of those skills are as important if you are a true power forward and can play with other guys who can do most of the puck handling, regardless that is all the more reason for him to go back to London and play 20 minutes a game in all situations

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Not off the top of my head but some guys are physically talented enough to be good players in spite of the tunnel vision.

Obviously, you want the kid to develop his game to incorporate his teammates more often. In cases like Jones, his game is less dependent on him using his teammates more often, rather creating more for his teammates by driving the net and screening the goalie. His speed adds an element to his game not a lot of PFs have, but when you play around the goal crease, it's more about hand eye coordination and the ability to slam home rebounds. There's a lot of players that try to do too much by themselves and their games need to mature. There's a lot to like with Max Jones, and hopefully we let the kid develop properly.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

You might be right about some of his weaknesses but at worst he is a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL. Size, speed, physicality, penalty killing adeptness, and big league shot will keep him in the league for a long time. Hopefully he can expand his game and become a top 6 player. I think London is a great spot for him but his development was probably hurt somewhat last year playing on a very deep team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Those who have seen Jones play..

how does he compares with Beleskey?

Bells was shorter but he also was a good skater (although sounds like Jones is a great skater), good shot and physical.

Well, Ritchie is similar to that too i guess

Ducksgo*

Jones is 18. He shouldn't make the team.

Guess age means everything. We got old ass Vermette taking on top pairing minutes and didn't even break 20 goals in 70+ Games last season. Cmon lets be realistic Jones deserves a shot

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Guess age means everything. We got old ass Vermette taking on top pairing minutes and didn't even break 20 goals in 70+ Games last season. Cmon lets be realistic Jones deserves a shot

Man, you have exactly 500 posts and 500 vCash at the same time, congrats.

On the topic: while i agree with you, i think we shouldn`t rush Jones and that is probably what Bodacious meant to say (not trying to put words on his keyboard/mouth though)

Jones have a ''documented'' lack of hockey IQ. While he maybe could play in the NHL with his current physical tools, let`s not waste his potential down the drain because the NHL probably is not the best option where to learn hockey smarts and build up offensive confidence for an 18 year old.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Vermette is on the top pairing? Jones at this point in his career can't hold Vermette's jockstrap in terms of NHL level ability.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Weird use of terminology considering Vermette is a forward. He also won't be playing top line minutes.

Are you freaking out because he was on the top line for our first exhibition game?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Based on last night, Jones will be gone in the first or second round of cuts IMO.

Is this your first preseason? You seem unclear on how the first few games are used - to give the kids who are about to be gone some playing time in the first two games, while seeing what the PTO's can do, giving the new signings some extra time to get used to the system, and giving a couple vets each night the chance to babysit someone. I sincerely doubt they have Fowler penciled in at RD for the season.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

He's getting a shot right now. Age means everything when you're 18. There are maybe 1 or 2 18 year olds that belong in the league in any given year. A low first round pick with vision and discipline issues almost certainly isn't one of them.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Those who have seen Jones play..

how does he compares with Beleskey?

Bells was shorter but he also was a good skater (although sounds like Jones is a great skater), good shot and physical.

Well, Ritchie is similar to that too i guess

I have a limited view on Jones' game, but from what I've seen I'd describe him as a combination of Ritchie and Etem. He's big, he skates well and does a lot of work on the ice. Has a pretty good shot too. He's pretty physical, but he's not on Beleskey's level as far as hitting is concerned.

Tunnel vision/low offensive upside/limited toolbox are the biggest concerns with him. He plays an extremely simple, straightforward game, which makes him almost a guaranteed NHLer in some capacity. The only question with him is whether he can be a top-6 guy.

We already had this discussion last year, just sub 'Jones' with 'Ritchie'.

Even though Max Jones might already possess the physical abilities to play in the NHL, it's unreasonable and ridiculous to expect him to step in and be a difference maker for us. At best, he might be able to play as a bottom-6 grinder, which is not what we want from a recent 24th overall pick. We want him to stay in London and develop there, not rush him along just because the big club doesn't have an impressive amount of forward depth right now. A Max Jones isn't going to be the difference between failure/success.

Also, I don't see how 'old ass Vermette' has anything to do with this discussion. Vermette is an NHL center and Jones is an OHL winger, so it's not like there's any particular competition here.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If Jones had a more developed hockey sense he would have been a lottery pick. Let's hope he develops it with more experience. One year in the OHL playing on the 2nd line is not enough time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad