Prospect Info: Rookie Camp 2016

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
FYI - 4-2 Ducks. Goal from K Thompson

SJ is streaming from their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/SanJoseSharks/

I only managed to see a glimpse of the game before the stream died. The camera was placed in the corner of the Ducks' defensive zone, so I was only able to see some of our players:

• #76 Mahura - I was pleasantly surprised. So calm in the defensive zone, was able to handle the Shark forechecking with ease. Made a couple of slick plays with very little space to work with. He was paired with Theodore, but I thought he stood out pretty well.
  • #56 Cooper - He had his ups and downs. Great mobility and work ethic, good hands. Needs to improve his defensive positioning, he was caught off guard a couple of times. He was playing with Skeoch though, so that's something to keep in mind.
  • #88 Skeoch - Junior invitee. This guy stood out just because of his sheer size. He's listed at 6'4'', but on the stream it looked like he was at least 2-3 inches taller than anyone else on the ice. Skated surprisingly well for such a big man, even though his posture looked a bit clunky. Plays a very simple stay-at-home/crease clearing type of game -- gives a good first pass, but I don't see him having that much upside offensively. Probably the nastiest/most physical player on the ice.
  • #85 Soy - Looks like a very smart player. Handles the puck well, has great vision and patience in the neutral/offensive zone. Had a nice give-and-go play with Sam Steel. I wasn't impressed with his skating though, he didn't look that quick out there. Needs to gain more strength.
  • #46 Jones - Great size, great wheels, great work ethic. Overall I think he wasn't the "smartest" player out there on the ice, he sort of lacked awareness. Didn't use his linemates all that well, tried to do too much by himself.
  • Theodore and Ritchie - Performed as expected, Theodore especially looked absolutely dominant out there. I think Ritchie's skating/acceleration looks a lot better.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
I only managed to see a glimpse of the game before the stream died. The camera was placed in the corner of the Ducks' defensive zone, so I was only able to see some of our players:

• #76 Mahura - I was pleasantly surprised. So calm in the defensive zone, was able to handle the Shark forechecking with ease. Made a couple of slick plays with very little space to work with. He was paired with Theodore, but I thought he stood out pretty well.
  • #56 Cooper - He had his ups and downs. Great mobility and work ethic, good hands. Needs to improve his defensive positioning, he was caught off guard a couple of times. He was playing with Skeoch though, so that's something to keep in mind.
  • #88 Skeoch - Junior invitee. This guy stood out just because of his sheer size. He's listed at 6'4'', but on the stream it looked like he was at least 2-3 inches taller than anyone else on the ice. Skated surprisingly well for such a big man, even though his posture looked a bit clunky. Plays a very simple stay-at-home/crease clearing type of game -- gives a good first pass, but I don't see him having that much upside offensively. Probably the nastiest/most physical player on the ice.
  • #85 Soy - Looks like a very smart player. Handles the puck well, has great vision and patience in the neutral/offensive zone. Had a nice give-and-go play with Sam Steel. I wasn't impressed with his skating though, he didn't look that quick out there. Needs to gain more strength.
  • #46 Jones - Great size, great wheels, great work ethic. Overall I think he wasn't the "smartest" player out there on the ice, he sort of lacked awareness. Didn't use his linemates all that well, tried to do too much by himself.
  • Theodore and Ritchie - Performed as expected, Theodore especially looked absolutely dominant out there. I think Ritchie's skating/acceleration looks a lot better.
Thanks for taking the time for that rundown. Good info.

Happy to see Theo and Ritchie getting those props from you, because they are the most important for the upcoming season. Those two guys step up their game significantly, and we're in much better shape than it currently looks like we're in.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Thanks Opak!

Also, would like to point these tweets out:

Natty would be great to have if he pans out like he could (middle 6 center). He has many tools + size and skating. Just what we want. Hopefully next (17/18) year he can already play some games in the NHL and after that become a fixture in the NHL. Could replace Vermette which on paper would be really great because he is somewhat similar to him.

Also sounds like Mahura could be another diamond in the rough. Picked up some points and sounds like he did the right things

Ducksgo*

Not worried at all about Jones. I'm hoping Carlyle gives him a shot at training camp. He always have liked hard bruise nose kids who can attack the net. And that's what jones does for a living. It's good to see him doing well at Rookie camp. Thanks for the updates on our rookies appreciate it!

Ducksgo*

Also Theo needs to get a solid look. Having both Vats and Theo switching PP duties is just insane regarding both snipers from the point. I'm praying Theo makes the team

Oct 18, 2011
I don't want us rushing Jones at all he should be in juniors developing his skills and playing major minutes. He might be ready for a 4th line NHL role with his skill set, but don't we want him to be more than that?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Yeah I hope Jones is back with the Knights. Let him develop his offense as a more go to guy. He'll probably have a good year playing with Tkachuk.

Ducksgo*

I don't want us rushing Jones at all he should be in juniors developing his skills and playing major minutes. He might be ready for a 4th line NHL role with his skill set, but don't we want him to be more than that?

PP with Jones and Theo/Vats were gonna win games just because of the net presence. I don't think he needs to go back to junior. What else can he learn with his size? Kid is gonna be a great grinder first round pick. And we need that right now because our attacking the net is bad. The kid reminds me a lot of buff when he played wing. Big kid who doesn't give a crap in front of the net he'll handle it. Not much to learn from that type of player right?

Last edited by a moderator:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
PP with Jones and Theo/Vats were gonna win games just because of the net presence. I don't think he needs to go back to junior. What else can he learn with his size? Kid is gonna be a great grinder first round pick. And we need that right now because our attacking the net is bad. The kid reminds me a lot of buff when he played wing. Big kid who doesn't give a crap in front of the net he'll handle it. Not much to learn from that type of player right?

Jones should be focused on taking more responsibilities in juniors to focus on his scoring abilities. We don't need more 4th line grinders on our team, we need legit scorers. Putting Jones into the line up just to be a grinder on the 4th line with Wagner and Boll is going to destroy his development, even if he's getting PP time. Let's not rush our power forward prospects.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Jones is not NHL ready! The Knights will lose some serious talent so going back is by far the best route for him. I mean, Dvorak and Marner are for sure gone, maybe Tkachuk too. Jones has the chance to get top line minutes, in the worst case he will be on their second line. So far I think he has to round out his game to avoid becoming Etem 2.0. He has all the tools now he has the chance to put it all together. If he would be on the Ducks roster his role would be limited and that would hurt his development.

And looking back, nearly all CHL prospects spent another year in juniors and it was a good way.

Nattinen on the other hand I'd like to see in the AHL but I think he is too young, isn't he? I think he is a year away for contributing seriously. Maybe he is a welcome surprise.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Made an account for the WCH's, huge ducks fan go ducks! I think Jones should spend at least 2 more years in Junior the last thing we want is to rush him and him ending up like Emerson Etem.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Made an account for the WCH's, huge ducks fan go ducks! I think Jones should spend at least 2 more years in Junior the last thing we want is to rush him and him ending up like Emerson Etem.

Exactly! But on the other hand Etem spent 2 years in junior as well.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Exactly! But on the other hand Etem spent 2 years in junior as well.

Sure, it's no guarantee but Jones has a lot of holes in his games. Emerson imho had a more developed offensive game back then. His toolset just didn't transfer. Hope Max can improve his shot, something Emerson did not.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
More damning comments on Boudreau in a good long article from Stephens:

Key players also pushed for Carlyle. Ryan Getzlaf, entering his seventh season as the Ducks’ captain, didn’t hesitate in throwing his support behind someone who’s “much more of an in-your-face coach” who emphasizes structure and demands everyone to stick to it.

“Now there’s only five, six guys when I was here before that are here now. It’s a different group. But basically the reasons, the issues that were prevalent, they’re asking me to come in and correct.”

“In our turn to win, there’s a short window,” Getzlaf said. “This league is tough. We’re not getting any younger. We need a coach that has the experience to step in and control his office. Control the organization from what he wants to see on a daily basis.

There's other stuff in there, Carlyle's thoughts on how he's changed over time. Good article.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
We need a coach that has the experience to step in and control his office. Control the organization from what he wants to see on a daily basis.

I don't get this. Getzlaf wants a coach who kicks his ass? I thought they are pros. So either the core group is not doing what the coach says or, well, I don't know.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't get this. Getzlaf wants a coach who kicks his ass? I thought they are pros. So either the core group is not doing what the coach says or, well, I don't know.

I don`t have any problem with that comment. No matter how big of a pro you are, i assume you would like a real leader behind your bench. You can`t be the leader on the ice, El capitan on your team and still do the coaching as well.

I would totally understand that Getz could use some help there (or even help pushing himself). A ''Hand of the king'' if you will. Getzlafsters send their regards.
:sarcasm:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm going to have to agree that that article makes the players look bad. Wanting an on-ice tactician is valid, and on the coach, but whining about the need for accountability and the players doing what they're told is pretty ironic when it's Getzlaf and Bieksa doing said whining.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm going to have to agree that that article makes the players look bad. Wanting an on-ice tactician is valid, and on the coach, but whining about the need for accountability and the players doing what they're told is pretty ironic when it's Getzlaf and Bieksa doing said whining.

Players not doing what they're told is not necessarily what those quotes are about. It sounds like they're in search of being told more, and being told specific things, and getting a consistent message, and a quick correction when they're not doing what they're told.

"Control his office" is a weird turn of phrase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad