Prospect Info: Rookie Camp 2016

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Players not doing what they're told is not necessarily what those quotes are about. It sounds like they're in search of being told more, and being told specific things, and getting a consistent message, and a quick correction when they're not doing what they're told.

"Control his office" is a weird turn of phrase.

Again, as Getzlaf was one of the biggest offenders, as was Bieksa, I think that's pretty damning. You're professionals. You should know what to do without someone screaming in your face.

I don't believe that the players weren't getting a specific message, based on BB repeatedly saying they weren't doing what they were told to do. I do believe that they weren't listening, and I think a lot of that is because BM controls the office and doesn't listen to his coach. That was pretty clearly the case at the end of the last RC run too. The pretty clear vote of non-confidence in BB from management pretty much set him up to fail as well, as the players knew damned well from the last go-round that it wouldn't be the players who took the fall.

Ducksgo*

Jones should be focused on taking more responsibilities in juniors to focus on his scoring abilities. We don't need more 4th line grinders on our team, we need legit scorers. Putting Jones into the line up just to be a grinder on the 4th line with Wagner and Boll is going to destroy his development, even if he's getting PP time. Let's not rush our power forward prospects.

You have to understand his size. His development is going to be based on that. He's 6'2 and plays with a mean streak. He isn't a great scorer, doesn't score very many fancy goals. He scores in front of the net. And we desperately need dirty goals in the crease. I'm hoping Carlyle atleast looks at him come camp

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Again, as Getzlaf was one of the biggest offenders, as was Bieksa, I think that's pretty damning. You're professionals. You should know what to do without someone screaming in your face.

I don't believe that the players weren't getting a specific message, based on BB repeatedly saying they weren't doing what they were told to do. I do believe that they weren't listening, and I think a lot of that is because BM controls the office and doesn't listen to his coach. That was pretty clearly the case at the end of the last RC run too. The pretty clear vote of non-confidence in BB from management pretty much set him up to fail as well, as the players knew damned well from the last go-round that it wouldn't be the players who took the fall.

I agree. It's one thing when a rookie or young player needs a kick in the butt or some sort of guidance, but it's a whole other thing when the captain of the team says this.

On Carlyle, I just feel like bringing him back is a step backward (and a lazy move by Murray) and if he hasn't adapted to the new NHL, then the Ducks are in real trouble. Also, it seems like the players got him forced out the last time and a couple of those players are still on the team in prominent roles.

Last edited:

Ducksgo*

RC likes that clash and bang. Hence why we had Parros and Marchant doing the grinder roll. Won a gosh darn cup with both of em. That's Jones IMO

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
RC likes that clash and bang. Hence why we had Parros and Marchant doing the grinder roll. Won a gosh darn cup with both of em. That's Jones IMO

Parros was an enforcer. We shouldn't treat our most recent 1st round draft pick as a future enforcer who can chip in a few goals while standing in front of the net. Let him continue to develop his overall game and maybe he becomes another Lucic or Marchand. We have guys lined up for the 4th line role already, no reason to bring up Jones unless he's somehow ready for top 6 time.

Ducksgo*

Parros was an enforcer. We shouldn't treat our most recent 1st round draft pick as a future enforcer who can chip in a few goals while standing in front of the net. Let him continue to develop his overall game and maybe he becomes another Lucic or Marchand. We have guys lined up for the 4th line role already, no reason to bring up Jones unless he's somehow ready for top 6 time.

To each there own. Jones knows what is best for em. I've watched him while in juniors. That kid reminds me so much of Big Buff, from the play style to the attitude. I seriously hope RC gives em atleast a solid look. We won the cup off grittiness and I'm hoping he brings that atmosphere again with the team.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Bieksa was one of the biggest offenders? Of what? He sucked, but there was no suggestion he didn't do what he was told, or that he didn't work hard. Unless the command was "don't suck." Boudreau eventually told him to stop trying to do so much, which everyone he agrees he complied with.

Just because someone says "they aren't doing what they're told" doesn't mean the person isn't listening. The message people put out is often not the one that is heard. "You should know" is the fallback of the worst communicators. It also ignores basic psychology. Murray didn't do Boudreau any favors I agree (unless we're counting repeatedly not firing him when he should have, I suppose).

Oct 18, 2011
and if the ducks regress this year the players talking about all this are going to look really bad, so essentially it is on them to get it done, with an admittedly weaker team this season

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
and if the ducks regress this year the players talking about all this are going to look really bad, so essentially it is on them to get it done, with an admittedly weaker team this season
The universe of things this team can do such that people think the season was a success when it's over is really, really small: win the Cup; go deep into the playoffs without being eliminated in Bruce-like fashion. That's it, really. Anything else will leave everyone rightly unsatisfied.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Bieksa was one of the biggest offenders? Of what? He sucked, but there was no suggestion he didn't do what he was told, or that he didn't work hard. Unless the command was "don't suck." Boudreau eventually told him to stop trying to do so much, which everyone he agrees he complied with.

Just because someone says "they aren't doing what they're told" doesn't mean the person isn't listening. The message people put out is often not the one that is heard. "You should know" is the fallback of the worst communicators. It also ignores basic psychology. Murray didn't do Boudreau any favors I agree (unless we're counting repeatedly not firing him when he should have, I suppose).

I'm going to guess they told Bieksa at some point well before "the talk" that he probably wasn't supposed to be behind the opposing goalies more than the wings were. I could be wrong. He also moved away from "not doing too much" when he was put back with Fowler.

Sometimes it's a failure, and sometimes it's the truth. When you have multiple coaches saying exactly the same thing (RC also used to say that they were supposed to be playing a certain style and weren't), I'm going to say it isn't the coaching. Or isn't JUST the coaching.

The universe of things this team can do such that people think the season was a success when it's over is really, really small: win the Cup; go deep into the playoffs without being eliminated in Bruce-like fashion. That's it, really. Anything else will leave everyone rightly unsatisfied.

I'll add to that - they had damned well better have a more successful season than Minnesota does.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm going to guess they told Bieksa at some point well before "the talk" that he probably wasn't supposed to be behind the opposing goalies more than the wings were. I could be wrong. He also moved away from "not doing too much" when he was put back with Fowler.

Sometimes it's a failure, and sometimes it's the truth. When you have multiple coaches saying exactly the same thing (RC also used to say that they were supposed to be playing a certain style and weren't), I'm going to say it isn't the coaching. Or isn't JUST the coaching.

It isn't just coaching. But it IS coaching.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up if you hadn't already heard on what the Avs' AGM Billington said on a broadcast of our scrimmage today. He said that Anaheim will host next year's Rookie Showcase and also that they are looking at hosting it in San Diego. I really enjoyed both games this year, seems like it was a success and I look forward to doing it again for years down the line.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up if you hadn't already heard on what the Avs' AGM Billington said on a broadcast of our scrimmage today. He said that Anaheim will host next year's Rookie Showcase and also that they are looking at hosting it in San Diego. I really enjoyed both games this year, seems like it was a success and I look forward to doing it again for years down the line.

Thanks. ;)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Nice, thanks!

The new practice facilities will not be ready next year though but it`s not like they don`t have a place to play.

Cool that SD will be involved as well

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
To each there own. Jones knows what is best for em. I've watched him while in juniors. That kid reminds me so much of Big Buff, from the play style to the attitude. I seriously hope RC gives em atleast a solid look. We won the cup off grittiness and I'm hoping he brings that atmosphere again with the team.
That was nearly 10 years ago. (damn....) You need a lot more than grit and a mean streak to play in the NHL now-a-days. There's no more slow-as-hell snipers like Jonathan Cheechoo roaming the ice. We need new-age power-forwards. Power-forwards that can skate. Power forwards that can contribute effectively on offense beyond just screening the goalie non-stop and being nothing more than a compliment to any line they are on.

I like Max Jones as a prospect. He can fit that new age power forward bill; he's a very good skater for his size and still plays the power game well. His offensive vision, skill and IQ worry me, as well as his discipline, which is why he absolutely needs to go back to London. Sure, he could be a meh 4th line grinder right now, but that's probably all we'd be getting then for the rest of his career. He didn't amaze in rookie camp and only 2 people there are going to be on the opening night roster (Ritchie, Theodore, maybe someone else if they perform well enough in training camp given our lackluster bottom 6; both players were very good at camp, Theo especially) so I wouldn't argue that he's suddenly going to pick up the pace if he somehow gets an NHL job.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kossila, kase, Sorensen may all surprise.

Kosilla and Kase are undersized and need another year at the AHL level. Sorenson has already played in a men's league and performed well so I agree he could surprise. But he has to prove he can stay healthy for a full year

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Kossila is not undersized.

Don't think he's undersized either. Reports from the rookie tournament (I believe), said he could be pushed off the puck, so a season in the system would help him in that regard. Don't think it necessarily means it has to be in the AHL, especially since he's very skilled and has 2 way game. He'll just get better the more size he adds.

Ducksgo*

That was nearly 10 years ago. (damn....) You need a lot more than grit and a mean streak to play in the NHL now-a-days. There's no more slow-as-hell snipers like Jonathan Cheechoo roaming the ice. We need new-age power-forwards. Power-forwards that can skate. Power forwards that can contribute effectively on offense beyond just screening the goalie non-stop and being nothing more than a compliment to any line they are on.

I like Max Jones as a prospect. He can fit that new age power forward bill; he's a very good skater for his size and still plays the power game well. His offensive vision, skill and IQ worry me, as well as his discipline, which is why he absolutely needs to go back to London. Sure, he could be a meh 4th line grinder right now, but that's probably all we'd be getting then for the rest of his career. He didn't amaze in rookie camp and only 2 people there are going to be on the opening night roster (Ritchie, Theodore, maybe someone else if they perform well enough in training camp given our lackluster bottom 6; both players were very good at camp, Theo especially) so I wouldn't argue that he's suddenly going to pick up the pace if he somehow gets an NHL job.

With kerdiles and Thompson out. And with our roster we are looking at? Jones needs a solid look. Until then here's the highlights if you can manage 7 minutes of your time. Our left wing is gone to shreds. And I'm hoping it's worth a look for you guys https://youtu.be/LszkPj3fjcc

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wasn't jones on a stacked London team where he prob didn't get many chances to be that impact player

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
With kerdiles and Thompson out. And with our roster we are looking at? Jones needs a solid look. Until then here's the highlights if you can manage 7 minutes of your time. Our left wing is gone to shreds. And I'm hoping it's worth a look for you guys https://youtu.be/LszkPj3fjcc

This Jones situation is just like the Ritchie situation last year. Jones may have the physical tools, but he's not yet ready to have a significant impact on NHL ice. He might be useful as a 4th line grinder, but we need a 24th overall pick to become so much more than that. A couple of years in London should help him develop his skills.

Kerdiles' injury sucks, but there are still a lot of guys I'd put ahead of Jones in the "call-up list". Noesen, Sörensen, Sgarbossa, AOB, Kossila and Roy, for example. Maybe Laganiere too, if they actually give him an NHL contract.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Wasn't jones on a stacked London team where he prob didn't get many chances to be that impact player

Greetings Duck fans,

I'm a London Knight season ticket holder (and the self-anointed president of the Max Jones' fan club) who's here to contribute to the discussion on Max Jones although I think some posters have already identified correctly Jones' greatest attributes and limitations.
He was a second-line winger on a stacked London Knights' team and would get some playing time near the tail end of a PP.
STRENGTHS: He has explosive speed, physically mature at 18 = a beast, hard shot, and at the risk of sounding cliche, he gives 110% every shift = energizer bunny 2.0. As well, he likes to play a physical game, and has indeed delivered some thunderous body checks. Plays on the edge as some of those 'checks' have resulted in suspensions (e.g. check to the head). Despite his proclivity to be physical, I don't recall him getting into any fights; thus far, that's not part of his game.
WEAKNESSES: He tries to do too much himself = doesn't use his teammates well--a point that other posters have mentioned. Jones is definitely not the 'playmaker type'; he has tunnel vision and his hockey I.Q. needs work. He also developed quite the reputation for embellishment which drew the ire of opposing players, fans, and also didn't escape the notice of referees. You will often see him put his glove to his face or snap his head back to draw a penalty--he really needs to tone that down.
INTANGIBLES: the kid has a great sense of humour, the team comedian in many ways. E.g. his goal celebration last season with teammate Cliff Pu received national attention on Sportsnet. Jones and Pu combined to score a shorthanded goal, and they skated towards one another removed their right glove, and shook hands--rather comical. Perhaps you guys can google it and take a look.
JONES' BREAKOUT MOMENT: London and Sarnia played a home and home on or around New Years. London was short players who were off playing at the World Juniors (e.g. Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi), and in their absence, Jones stepped up big time. Both games went into overtime, and Jones simply schooled the highly touted prospect, Jacob Chychrun. In the first game, Jones had the puck along the boards in the Sarnia zone with Chychrun closing in. Jones spun past him, went in alone and scored. In the second game of the home and home, Jones used his explosive speed to blow past Chychrun, went in on a breakaway and ended the game in style once again.
I apologize for being needlessly prolix, but that should give you guys an understanding of what you can expect from Jones.
Now do me a favour, and send him back to London! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad