Rogers Place Construction :: Part VI: Mod warning #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
The slight curve on the city building is now noticeable. It's going to draw a lot of second looks and questions.

It is going to look fantastic, speaking of this building, I noticed a few updated renders of the podium for this building. Note the pedestrian corridor between it and Bell with the new Joey's on the left:

IceDistrictRogersPlaceRenderings1200-1.jpg

104 ave view with pedway to the JW Marriott, about time we got a Le Bistro!!!
IceDistrictRogersPlaceRenderings1200-47.jpg

http://www.rogersplace.com/renderings/

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
One of the things I would like to see from OEG is to expand the Oilers Event team to outside people. Seed the square with buskers, popcorn/drink stands and other booths. Heck, you want to get a boom box and dance hip hop with your group of friends, come on down.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Looks like I could live in it

Edit: also pictures of the exterior letters being made
CAR_8223web.jpg

Last edited:

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Yeah I hope the new arena is high tech enough for all those ****kickers and tobacco spitters...

If they're gonna go country they should go local and let good ole Corb open er up, er sum 'sitch.

I don't know why I find it offensive that a sparkling new high-tech building could be opened by a country act, but I do.

Meanwhile... did you guys notice that Detroit's arena costs way more than ours and seats way more people? 625 M USD on the arena alone and there is an entire district going up around it too. Are we special at all or just new? The OEG people spit words like "fancy, high tech, highest tech!" but Detroit looks to have incorporated some legitimate innovations into their design.

I'm happy about the winter garden concept but its probably less cool than it sounds. (is it even geothermal? is it warm enough for plants to grow or is it more like +3 C?)

The "technological marvels" listed on the Rogers Place website amount to two (2) items:
A) Wi Fi and cell phone coverage (wow, fancy!)
B) Large Scoreboard (but not as large as Detroit and other new arena proposals?)

I guess what we should really be proud of is an economical arena that only cost 425 million CAD? Not the high tech flashy marvel people have been discussing?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah I hope the new arena is high tech enough for all those ****kickers and tobacco spitters...

If they're gonna go country they should go local and let good ole Corb open er up, er sum 'sitch.

I don't know why I find it offensive that a sparkling new high-tech building could be opened by a country act, but I do.

Meanwhile... did you guys notice that Detroit's arena costs way more than ours and seats way more people? 625 M USD on the arena alone and there is an entire district going up around it too. Are we special at all or just new? The OEG people spit words like "fancy, high tech, highest tech!" but Detroit looks to have incorporated some legitimate innovations into their design.

I'm happy about the winter garden concept but its probably less cool than it sounds.

Like a building made entirely of hot n ready pizza?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Drake and Future just announced a tour that will be wrapping up in Vancouver on the 17th and 18th of September. Too bad they didn't tack on a show in Edmonton at the end. The timing would've been perfect and it would be amazing to have two of the biggest rappers in the world do a show at Rogers Place in its first weeks.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton

I'm happy about the winter garden concept but its probably less cool than it sounds. (is it even geothermal? is it warm enough for plants to grow or is it more like +3 C?)

The "technological marvels" listed on the Rogers Place website amount to two (2) items:
A) Wi Fi and cell phone coverage (wow, fancy!)
B) Large Scoreboard (but not as large as Detroit and other new arena proposals?)

I guess what we should really be proud of is an economical arena that only cost 425 million CAD? Not the high tech flashy marvel people have been discussing?

Just to clarify, our arena with the Winter Garden will cost $606.5 million.

I don't know much about Detroit's building but ours will have:

The Oilers are taking cues from the San Francisco 49ers Levi’s Stadium, in the heart of Silicon Valley, to guide the technology in the new arena.

Inside the stadium, which opened last year, fans can scan their tickets from their smartphones, order food directly to their seats, or have it waiting at the concession and watch replays on their phones.

“It’s going to be a beautiful building in the heart of downtown Edmonton, but there’s also the technology side where we have spent a lot of time as well,” he said.

Shipton said the app they are designing is about making it easier to navigate the building and spending less time waiting in lines.

“We can tell them the length of time it’s going to take either at the food and beverage line-up or the washrooms,” he said.

It will also allow people to load up replays and different camera angles, while they are watching the game.

To serve all of what they have in mind, Shipton said Rogers Place would have a robust tech infrastructure for now and the future.

“We’re also of course really looking at the wiring of the building, just to make sure we have more than enough fiber, so that we are future proofing,” said Shipton.
http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/edmonton/2015/01/12/edmonton-oilers-planning-big-technology-push-in-new-downtown-arena.html

The building will also be LEED silver certified.

Being LEED-Silver certified establishes Rogers Place as one of the leading environmental venues in North America and around the world. There aren’t even two dozen professional sports venues that are LEED-certified so it’s quite the achievement,” said Dr. Allen Hershkowitz, President and Co-founder, Green Sports Alliance. “It’s a confirmation of smart operations. It’s a confirmation that Rogers Place is committed to a healthy community and Edmonton’s future generations.”

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=873911

TECHNOLOGY
TV SCREENS
Over 1,200 TV screens, including game coverage in all suites, clubs and concourses.

WI-FI
Access to Wi-Fi in all clubs, concourses and seating bowl.

SCOREBOARD
The largest true high-definition centre ice scoreboard in the NHL.

ROGERS PLACE APP
An interactive Rogers Place App that enhances guest experience.
http://www.rogersplace.com/technology/

Jones: Las Vegas' NHL arena is great, but Edmonton's will be the best on the planet
The. Finest. Arena. In. The. World
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/01/13/jones-las-vegas-nhl-arena-is-great-but-edmontons-will-be-the-best-on-the-planet

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
A lot of newer buildings are LEED certified, or are going to be LEED certified. I can't remember what the newest buildings are in the league but CONSOL Energy Center is fairly new and it is LEED certified. Bell center is LEED certified. I would be slightly surprised if Detroit's building isn't also being built to fulfill environmental standards.

I don't see an iphone App as a "technological marvel" or anything. They could have implemented that in Rexall if they wanted to.

I'm not saying its bad that they have these things, I'm saying great, good for them. But I'm not blown away thinking "wow, the future is here! good thing we spent a billion tax dollars!"

Detroit funding breakdown: $285 million of the $650 million cost will be public, with $365.5 million in private funding

".. a glass roof will be erected between [other] buildings and the arena itself. The roof will form an indoor "street" that will serve as the arena's concourse. The concourse will remain open year-round, even if an event is not occurring inside the arena, allowing it to also be used as a venue of its own. The eight-story arena will be built as a bowl, with its ice surface 40 feet (12 m) below street level, and a projected seating capacity of 20,000. Also planned is a 37,300-square-foot (3,470 m2) practice rink inside the arena. Graphics can be projected on the arena's roof, such as the Detroit Red Wings logo on game days, or other content depending on the event. The skin of the arena bowl will also be capable of displaying graphics. Christopher Ilitch described the design of the new arena as being "revolutionary", and believes that it may influence future arena designs in other cities."

Just sayin', if the competition is "which city paid more public dollars for a less innovative arena design?" we might have won!

PS: I'm simply raising the issue I'm not educated enough on either arena to make a judgement, for the time being :P We'll see when they open up.

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Drake and Future just announced a tour that will be wrapping up in Vancouver on the 17th and 18th of September. Too bad they didn't tack on a show in Edmonton at the end. The timing would've been perfect and it would be amazing to have two of the biggest rappers in the world do a show at Rogers Place in its first weeks.

But I want Bieber and T Swift. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia