Rogers Place Construction :: Part VI: Mod warning #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I find that a little tough to believe, unless you were trying to park right out in front - or for free, which is a pointless exercise in a big city. Within a block and a half there are 3 large parkades and about 4 surface lots.

Well, the out of towners walk at -30 now when they park at Rexall, so they don't seem to mind.

It's going to be congested and busy when an event sets out, but it is now too. I drove to Rexall once last season because I had somewhere to be after, so I figured it would be good to have my car. It took me 45 minutes to get into the parking lot at Northlands from Gretzky Northbound. Then I walked 15 minutes to the doors.

This is why I stopped being a sucker for Northlands and parked at the Race Track for FREE! It took forever to get into Northlands from Gretzky NB also paying $20 was a joke and it took forever after the game to get out of the Northlands parking lot post game. The other option was to park Borden Park across from the track.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Parking downtown should be somewhat difficult on a Friday or Saturday. That is a given in any major cities healthy downtown. The thing is Edmontons will simply be maxed. Most calculations have just taken into account what the total parking is in the area in relation to how many Oilers STH drive to games (a lot) Projections haven't really taken into account other facility use and how much is already available/used. The situation is not that it will be difficult. In 4mths you're going to be hearing about game nights where parking is exceeded in area on Friday and Saturday nights by events and influx into the downtown. You're going to hear about parking tickets and tow aways for people just trying to put their car somewhere and get into the game. That's a different thing entirely then parking being tough to find or expensive. its that people will not have options. Additionally having several K drivers milling around the streets in the area trying to find parking is not the kind of throughput jam you want to put into that area when people are trying to drive to the event.

I think the city is going to end up with a few weeks of gongshow parking/driving nights and decide that they need to put in some interim park n ride to the downtown to get people to events. I wish they would actually proactively do that rather than waiting for what I guarantee will be a problem.

Anyway I'll ask it again here but why are they installing all the seating so early and before arena drywall mudding, taping, sanding is complete? Seats are usually last to go in due to how much mess there still is at this juncture of construction. Seems to me that even with them being covered by tarping they're going to be cleaning a lot of seats. That fine dust gets in everywhere.

I know nothing about construction but I'm also am very very worried about these matters that I do not specialize in.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
[/B]

This is why I stopped being a sucker for Northlands and parked at the Race Track for FREE! It took forever to get into Northlands from Gretzky NB also paying $20 was a joke and it took forever after the game to get out of the Northlands parking lot post game. The other option was to park Borden Park across from the track.

This is one I mentioned frequently and used all the time. I would walk the farthest from Rexall but be home before almost all of the people paying for parking. :laugh:

manage to get some fresh air, exercise, and no aggravation or cost. Would take me 5mins to walk to car, 20mins to drive home beating all the traffic.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
This is one I mentioned frequently and used all the time. I would walk the farthest from Rexall but be home before almost all of the people paying for parking. :laugh:

manage to get some fresh air, exercise, and no aggravation or cost. Would take me 5mins to walk to car, 20mins to drive home beating all the traffic.

The only time I didnt park at the track is if my dad was driving cause he didnt want to walk all the way to and from the track. Otherwise if I was with my friends or just me. It was the track for sure.

That and drinks at the track are cheaper than Rexall.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
There's so much talk on this board about if this building is going to be ready on time.... But I can't find any actual information to support it. Am I being ignorant or is this whole concern being perpetuated by people who don't have a clue what's going on?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There's so much talk on this board about if this building is going to be ready on time.... But I can't find any actual information to support it. Am I being ignorant or is this whole concern being perpetuated by people who don't have a clue what's going on?

Honestly the only people that seem worried are the ones that have hated it from the start.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
if you guys are worried about how ready they are to open, the Sacremento Kings of the NBA are also supposed to move into a new arena starting in the 2016-2017 season. The NBA pre-season starts in early October, so they should be about 3 weeks behind our schedule. Here is their live view:
http://www.golden1center.com/live/

They have about the same amount of seats installed,but it looks like they haven't even started on the concourse. So I'm guessing we'll be fine.

First thing that jumps out at me after viewing these pictures is how much smaller the floor space is for an NBA first arena. Shows had bad of an idea it was to put the Islanders into Barclay Center.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Honestly the only people that seem worried are the ones that have hated it from the start.

I work in the construction industry and have always supported a new arena. Until recently it obviously looked like it was on or ahead of schedule.

Recent pictures the work "seems" like it has slowed. I know how quickly projects can go sideways. Contractors start pulling forces for other jobs. Finishes and equipment that should have been ordered months ago falling through the cracks. One key piece of work holding up dozens of others...

This is nothing but speculation. Short of seeing the progress reports, going on site, and reviewing the revised schedules no one could really say anything one way or other.

But its a big project and crunch time is getting nearer.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
if they're behind schedule, then it's not by much and there's time to get it back on track. Not a big deal anyway, even if it is a month behind, I believe there's a later start date to the season due to the World Cup. and there's always the option of playing the first 8 on the road...that would bring you to the end of October. problem solved.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
From the March 15, 2016 update meeting:

Schedule: From the awarding of contract and site mobilization on March 3, 2014, the construction of the Downtown Arena continues to advance on schedule. A wide scope of work is currently occurring that ranges from the exterior roofing, panelling, and glazing to interior fireproofing, masonry, framing and drywall. Work on fit-out and finishing materials is now beginning.

Key milestones looking forward include installation of the first seat and concrete pour of the main arena ice in March, completion of seating installation in May, arrival of the scoreboard in May, and installation of Iron Foot Place, the Janvier public artwork in the Winter Garden in June.
http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/siredocs/published_meetings/93/530306.pdf

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I'm not worried myself, but it gives us something to talk about, if nothing else. not like we have oilers hockey.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not worried myself, but it gives us something to talk about, if nothing else. not like we have oilers hockey.

For clarity I'm not worried about the opening much either. I think the plan was for the team to play exhibition games at Rexall anyway and debut the new rink in the first regular season game which would be sometime in October, a whole month after the Sept 2 stated finish date. This offers at least a month of buffer time to finalize some things.

its astute that the timeline was put down as Sept 2. That is proactive, and allows sometime to sort out wrinkles. Will also allow time to get staff running, familiar, and up to speed.

The first game at Rexall (Coliseum) was an absolute gongshow with a 100 guys running around still installing seats the day of the first game. A seat near us was not even bolted on. Fell off and they propped it up with a masonry block for the game. :laugh: in this day and age that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Arent they planning on having a big concert before the Oilers play there? I thought I read that one time, but I coul be wrong.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Arent they planning on having a big concert before the Oilers play there? I thought I read that one time, but I coul be wrong.

Date, time, or acts involved have never been certain. That could easily occur say October 2, one month after the contracted finish date and still allowing a one month buffer to get things in order.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
On the parking, I was another Spectrum/Borden Park user. Saved some money, but the other benefit was we always got out of there faster. Think it would be best to follow the same approach downtown. For example, for me, when not walking, it would be better to park South of Jasper Ave. The thing that I am waiting to see is if any parking lots will try to change their monthly parking contracts so that game nights are not included.

As for the opening, I am on board with what Replacement just said. I expect there is a difference between completed and finished. And that is understood by everyone involved. Extra dressing rooms to finish. More equipment to install. Offices to be completed. So many things in the building are likely not totally required to host an event.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Date, time, or acts involved have never been certain. That could easily occur say October 2, one month after the contracted finish date and still allowing a one month buffer to get things in order.

I thought it was suppose to be in august or september, but I could be wrong.

I think this palace gets done in August to be honest.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Once the new rink opens up and whenever I can afford to go to this new place (might be just Oil king games for awhile) I'll be driving from mill woods to Century and taking the train. No way am I parking downtown. Will just be a zoo. Same goes for concerts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Once the new rink opens up and whenever I can afford to go to this new place (might be just Oil king games for awhile) I'll be driving from mill woods to Century and taking the train. No way am I parking downtown. Will just be a zoo. Same goes for concerts.

Just park at MWTC (who are pretty cool with that), especially if you park at the abandoned Target store lot which is unused anyway. Buses from MWTC take anywhere from 32-40mins to get downtown. Not bad. Its the feeder routes to get to MWTC that are a nightmare. Being that I respect Millwoods Town Centre as a pretty good community mall we make a habit of being patrons there and even hit up the food court or coffee place before getting on the bus. That way we're at least giving back for what has been a great community mall.

Conversely taking a 25min bus ride to get to Century Park from MWTC then the 25mins to get to downtown is going to be slower even if your LRT connection is sitting there waiting for you. Plus LRT is packed solid like sardines. Do yourself a favor and just take bus from MWTC.

As I stated earlier I hope they at least initially offer some park and rides to get people interested in taking ETS to games. Park and ride to Commonwealth is 25mins. Pretty good service. I'm thinking they could do downtown in similar or less time. Those originate from MWTC as well.

In anycase it is getting exciting that this is just around the corner. The Arena looked so much different last night then when we saw it two months earlier.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just park at MWTC (who are pretty cool with that), especially if you park at the abandoned Target store lot which is unused anyway. Buses from MWTC take anywhere from 32-40mins to get downtown. Not bad. Its the feeder routes to get to MWTC that are a nightmare. Being that I respect Millwoods Town Centre as a pretty good community mall we make a habit of being patrons there and even hit up the food court or coffee place before getting on the bus. That way we're at least giving back for what has been a great community mall.

Conversely taking a 25min bus ride to get to Century Park from MWTC then the 25mins to get to downtown is going to be slower even if your LRT connection is sitting there waiting for you. Plus LRT is packed solid like sardines. Do yourself a favor and just take bus from MWTC.

As I stated earlier I hope they at least initially offer some park and rides to get people interested in taking ETS to games. Park and ride to Commonwealth is 25mins. Pretty good service. I'm thinking they could do downtown in similar or less time. Those originate from MWTC as well.

In anycase it is getting exciting that this is just around the corner. The Arena looked so much different last night then when we saw it two months earlier.

You bring up some good points. Forgot I used to take the bus to NAIT from MWTC on days that I had exam.

I agree it would be nice if they did a park and ride from MWTC I think it would be worth it for sure. They might not run as many buses as they did for Esks games but its a good idea anyway.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Bussing from MWTC to Century is more viable if you leave TC by 6:30, as there are express routes straight down 23rd ave. I find its better to be on a bus for about 12 minutes and stretch my legs on the walk to the train than to sit on the 15 or 8 for over half an hour.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Thats great news, and puts to bed it wont be done on time. Dam so exciting to know its going to be done by early Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca