Rogers Place Construction :: Part VI: Mod warning #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Thats great news, and puts to bed it wont be done on time. Dam so exciting to know its going to be done by early Sept.

The Oil players took a tour in the beginning of this month and in the video they said they were on time and on budget. So I'm not sure why some people were questioning if they were still on schedule. :laugh:

But I guess confirming that it is indeed on schedule by others is reassuring. :)

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Don't know if this a place for hearsay but I know two people working on the project and they both feel it won't be done on time and if it is, it would be due to some shoddy quality control. My fear is that if this were to get a bad rep for certain low quality aspects, it would really snowball with the anti-arena crowd and I wonder if it would give a sour feel to the whole revitalization attempt. That being said, the Oilers kitchen looks sick haha. Apparently they're using a stone on the double sided wood fire oven that's so rare, that if they were to mess it up, it would not be easily replaced from anywhere in the world. Again, that's just worker gossip, so maybe not meant for a thread with links.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I feared that when my season ticket's in the 200's actually dropped in price for the same section, for row 4 instead of row 30, that the upper bowl had been shrunk substantially and my seats would be actually higher up and it appears they might just be but it's crazy how slanted it is. Real coliseum style. Should be most interesting to finally get to see the view.

Edit: Not that I didn't know the upper bowl was shrinking with addition of loge seating but it was hard to compare old row 30 to new row 4.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I saw a report/tweet yesterday that the arena is expected to be operational by Sept.10 and that a open house will be held for the general public on that date.

I didn't link to the article, was busy with work. but I took that to mean that they are on schedule.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Don't know if this a place for hearsay but I know two people working on the project and they both feel it won't be done on time and if it is, it would be due to some shoddy quality control. My fear is that if this were to get a bad rep for certain low quality aspects, it would really snowball with the anti-arena crowd and I wonder if it would give a sour feel to the whole revitalization attempt. That being said, the Oilers kitchen looks sick haha. Apparently they're using a stone on the double sided wood fire oven that's so rare, that if they were to mess it up, it would not be easily replaced from anywhere in the world. Again, that's just worker gossip, so maybe not meant for a thread with links.

I don't think it is a place for hearsay.
too easy to make stuff up and say "I heard from a friend"

no offense, but I have my doubts about what your friends have to say, unless they are high up in project management and not mudders.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I don't think it is a place for hearsay.
too easy to make stuff up and say "I heard from a friend"

no offense, but I have my doubts about what your friends have to say, unless they are high up in project management and not mudders.
Pretty much and realistically they could have an open date that is set with some minor behind the scenes stuff needing to be completed. As long as the public areas are done finishing could continue behind the scenes.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Ya, fair enough. I was unsure about the "my buddy thinks" element of it all. It has been fun to see pictures from the inside though. I can't imagine how stoked the players are for the new building. The dressing room looks pimp, their own kitchen is amazing and even rehab facilities like a pool with a giant treadmill at the bottom. If not a big draw to other players, it's certainly going to be a huge spike of enjoyment for the ones who are here.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
After last night I only really have one wish for the new arena: position the TV cameras so I don't have to worry about the people at the game standing up and blocking my view of the game from my own coach at home.

Also, I've been on a number of big construction projects that I never thought had a chance of finishing on time. Then one day you show up to work and think "holy crap its pretty much done".

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After last night I only really have one wish for the new arena: position the TV cameras so I don't have to worry about the people at the game standing up and blocking my view of the game from my own coach at home.

Also, I've been on a number of big construction projects that I never thought had a chance of finishing on time. Then one day you show up to work and think "holy crap its pretty much done".

Lol, I was so pissed too over that.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Anyone have any links to information about the players dressing room and associated amenities?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Not sure where you hear this but I dont think they'll get anyone especially UFC in their that fast.

I wouldn't be surprised if a brand like UFC were interested in the prestige/automatic sales of a marquee opening event in a fancy new building, especially with the demographic here. Might be people (UFC aside) trying to get in rather than OEG trying to rent out.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I wouldn't be surprised if a brand like UFC were interested in the prestige/automatic sales of a marquee opening event in a fancy new building, especially with the demographic here. Might be people (UFC aside) trying to get in rather than OEG trying to rent out.

I suppose anything is possible but for it to be done in September like the other poster and his "I've heard several people say" post I find to be very unlikely.

My guess is they'll have the Oilers open it up first and then a few concerts and then later on in 2016 early 2017 they'll throw in something like a UFC then.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Those cables look a little thin.

I can't say for sure, but judging by the size of each of the blocks, I would guess each hoist to be rated somewhere between 7.5 and 25 tons (I have seen blocks of that size rated to numerous different weights in that range).

In a four-point lift you are looking at the ability to hoist anywhere from 30-100 tons. I don't know their safety margins or the requirements for a static lift, but I would bet each individual hoist is capable of holding the entirety of the weight of the screen setup and then some.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Can anybody around here, give me directions to the Rogers Place Construction thread? ;)

All I wanted to was complain about camera placement I now I've derailed a whole thread!

does anyone know where I can find a high(er) res version of this?
1297550243851_ORIGINAL.jpg

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Can anybody around here, give me directions to the Rogers Place Construction thread? ;)

A reminder to everyone about the warning in the first post. Those that continue to participate in off topic conversations will be removed from this thread.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
All I wanted to was complain about camera placement I now I've derailed a whole thread!

Your post was fine. That is a legit topic for the thread. Some responses to your post weren't, but that isn't your fault. That is the fault of those posters.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure where you hear this but I dont think they'll get anyone especially UFC in their that fast.

I could've sworn the talk was Ottawa in September, but the UFC hasn't really announced much past July so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad