Recalled/Assigned: Robertson recalled

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
If they don't go all in this year the fans should be howling in the streets.

It would mean they don't think this core is good enough to waste assets on trying to pump them up for a deep playoff run. This same core that consists of two guys they just re-signed to record breaking deals. The same core that Shanahan bet his career on running it all back yet again after last year's playoffs fiasco.

The Leafs should be getting the best player(s) available regardless of cost or they're gonna look pretty foolish if they don't.
Rinse, repeat. We've frittered away so many picks over the past few years it's no wonder we have so few good, cheap young players on the roster. This year's edition of the Leafs really doesn't seem to be one ot two trade deadline additions away from playoff success. We need an off-season reset, that I hope Treliving is up to, so let's keep or even add to our draft picks in the upcoming draft and set ourselves up for better LT success

Reactions: arso40 and OddyOh

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think he doesn't play much because he's not particularly good.

He's got the nose for the net and is absolutely the sort of player with Verhaeghe upside, patience could well be rewarded. But I don't see what you guys see when he's on the ice this year. He's barely more than a tweener today.

He works hard, but doesn't have the skating to make that work ethic a real threat. He can shoot and score, but he doesn't have the sense of timing or the ability to score greasy netfront goals the way that even Andreas Johnsson did. He's got some decent puck skills and can find a pass, but he doesn't get time on the puck unless it's a rush chance or the team is established in the zone. He doesn't really win many battles in the corners, so he's not the type of player that sets up his own zone time either. He's a triggerman who relies on his linemates to do the lifting for him. In the defensive end he's the sort of player that makes you think wingers aren't relevant in the defensive end.

Again, there's some decent talent and IQ there that could gel into a real player down the line, but this thread reads like any of the "Free Lievo" or "Free Corrado" threads over the years. He's not the player that we want him to be. I think keeping him on the big club for some scoring depth and as a rotational starter is perfect.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
We do this will all our prospects , we over analyze them and pick them apart. Robertson is scoring at 20 goal pace playing 10 min a game . What the hell else do you want from the kid? A second rounder with his size being able to score at that pace, is a WIN.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think the writing is on the wall for Robertson. The leafs coaching staff and management simply don’t trust him enough to give him serious minutes, and he’s not good enough defensively to play a bottom-6 role.

He will be shipped off to better situation either at the deadline or in the summer. A team like Chicago/San Jose would be best for him.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Wouldn’t mind trading Robertson in a deal we get a dman back but otherwise I think Keefe has really mismanaged Robertson in our lineup.
What kinda dman would you target probably would have to add a pic as well but who do you think is attainable?I feel like the name is just as important when weighing the potential Robertson has I wish the coach would play him in the top 6 for an extended look like everyone else is getting

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Wonder how much of this is a bit of future planning from management. He’s an RFA this summer. I’m sure the Leafs would love to keep him around league min for 1-2 years. There’s going to be a lot of roster movement over the next two years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Robertson being in and out of the lineup doesn’t bother me given:

- his injuries and not playing an extensive number of games in a pro season so far
- despite him have 4 years of NHL games, he’s only gotten 58 regular season games under his belt. Relatively inexperienced, largely due to injury

Despite only getting 10 mins of ATOI and minimal PP time he’s pacing 20 goals and nearly 40 points over an 82 game season. That’s some valuable depth scoring.

I’ve noticed some needed improvements in his strength on the puck, and I’ve seen more progress in his tenacity on the forecheck and winning battles.

There’s no need to move him IMO. Could be a move that it regretted

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If they don't go all in this year the fans should be howling in the streets.
It would mean they don't think this core is good enough to waste assets on trying to pump them up for a deep playoff run.
No, it means that fixing last offseason's mistakes are too costly in-season.
So you do the best with what you have, and hope that the core and/or your goalie gets hot at the right time.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One of the best players today and the very few that were going. Keefe noticed it too and played him lots of minutes.
We could really regret it we move him

Hes genuinely talented, keep on developing him and it could really pay off

At the very least it would Increase his value as a asset

Reactions: BallardEra

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think he doesn't play much because he's not particularly good.

He's got the nose for the net and is absolutely the sort of player with Verhaeghe upside, patience could well be rewarded. But I don't see what you guys see when he's on the ice this year. He's barely more than a tweener today.

He works hard, but doesn't have the skating to make that work ethic a real threat. He can shoot and score, but he doesn't have the sense of timing or the ability to score greasy netfront goals the way that even Andreas Johnsson did. He's got some decent puck skills and can find a pass, but he doesn't get time on the puck unless it's a rush chance or the team is established in the zone. He doesn't really win many battles in the corners, so he's not the type of player that sets up his own zone time either. He's a triggerman who relies on his linemates to do the lifting for him. In the defensive end he's the sort of player that makes you think wingers aren't relevant in the defensive end.

Again, there's some decent talent and IQ there that could gel into a real player down the line, but this thread reads like any of the "Free Lievo" or "Free Corrado" threads over the years. He's not the player that we want him to be. I think keeping him on the big club for some scoring depth and as a rotational starter is perfect.
I generally agree with a lot of your posts, but this is a strange take to me that I just don't see eye to eye on.

His skating has looked a lot better, he's quicker and more explosive this year and most of all he is balanced, which was a big issue in previous years and he couldn't stay up on his skates or got knocked around easily. I also think he's doing a better job of retrieving the puck and also identifying when to pick his spots and engage in a board battle or force an aggressive forecheck. Although it was 3v3, the OT goal last night doesn't happen without his work on the boards at the end, he didn't quit on the play ever. Domi and Jarnkrok are also not really traditional cycle type players and excel more in transition or 1v1 battles in open ice.

His supposed 'defensive issues' are also seriously overblown, I see a player who has been quite responsible defensively, and has been focusing hard on being in the right positions and not overcommitting like he did before. In fact, I've even seen him often come in to support Domi who tends to have defensive lapses and prevent odd-man rushes or turnovers. The numbers also support him being a decent player defensively, sure he's not Bergeron but he holds his own and isn't some run-and-gun type player. The effort is almost always there as well.

He's a useful player and actually has some semblance of offensive talent, is just 22 years old still, and had only played 86 games of professional hockey coming into this season. He's finally healthy and getting better as he continues to play, with some big steps this year. I remember when people on this forum were ready to write Kadri off when he was 23, and he had played way more games in the AHL / NHL by that point.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I generally agree with a lot of your posts, but this is a strange take to me that I just don't see eye to eye on.

His skating has looked a lot better, he's quicker and more explosive this year and most of all he is balanced, which was a big issue in previous years and he couldn't stay up on his skates or got knocked around easily. I also think he's doing a better job of retrieving the puck and also identifying when to pick his spots and engage in a board battle or force an aggressive forecheck. Although it was 3v3, the OT goal last night doesn't happen without his work on the boards at the end, he didn't quit on the play ever. Domi and Jarnkrok are also not really traditional cycle type players and excel more in transition or 1v1 battles in open ice.

His supposed 'defensive issues' are also seriously overblown, I see a player who has been quite responsible defensively, and has been focusing hard on being in the right positions and not overcommitting like he did before. In fact, I've even seen him often come in to support Domi who tends to have defensive lapses and prevent odd-man rushes or turnovers. The numbers also support him being a decent player defensively, sure he's not Bergeron but he holds his own and isn't some run-and-gun type player. The effort is almost always there as well.

He's a useful player and actually has some semblance of offensive talent, is just 22 years old still, and had only played 86 games of professional hockey coming into this season. He's finally healthy and getting better as he continues to play, with some big steps this year. I remember when people on this forum were ready to write Kadri off when he was 23, and he had played way more games in the AHL / NHL by that point.

Not a huge fan, but I agree.

Too much hype, too soon, and he's now starting to get it.

Leafs absoutely, need him and other prospects/assets to become full-time NHLers.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

This defensive issue thing is completely overblown. He's the guy often winning the puck to get out of the zone on his line. Yes, he's given up the puck here and there, but who hasn't on this team? Seems a different standard, even with Keefe. I mean if Robertson played like Knies the last month he'd be in the AHL already.

I've alway been in this kid's corner, mainly because of his motor, he just tries 100 percent, all the time. Factor in that shot, just given a young kid some time, injuries have set his development back...we're now starting to see what he can become. His edge work is improving, his decision making is maturing, patience and as you say more balanced. This kid is a keeper, trading him now when his value is low is nuts. And next year when we have a cap crunch, he's your Bertuzzi replacement in the top 6 for nothing.

He's only going to get better too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I've alway been in this kid's corner, mainly because of his motor, he just tries 100 percent, all the time
So much this. I will always root for the guy who works his ass off and gives everything he has. Poor guy has had some shit luck, but it's refreshing to have a guy whose critical flaw is 'doing too much / trying too hard' as opposed to someone who is the opposite. He has that dog in him, just needed to be reined in. You can tell how bad he wants this job

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So much this. I will always root for the guy who works his ass off and gives everything he has. Poor guy has had some shit luck, but it's refreshing to have a guy whose critical flaw is 'doing too much / trying too hard' as opposed to someone who is the opposite. He has that dog in him, just needed to be reined in. You can tell how bad he wants this job

I don't think doing too much has been his issue.
His issue is being injured.

Everything else is about becoming a NHL player, and you can't do that on IR / LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad