Recalled/Assigned: Robertson recalled

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't think doing too much has been his issue.
His issue is being injured.

Everything else is about becoming a NHL player, and you can't do that on IR / LTIR.
I would argue he got himself into situations where he was injured because he went in very reckless into situations with blinders on. He's doing that a lot less this year

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I would argue he got himself into situations where he was injured because he went in very reckless into situations with blinders on. He's doing that a lot less this year
Agreed. He also played that way in general, out of control. That led to hasty decisions, turnovers and the like.

The last few games he has played, and the last one specifically, he looked like a new man. As terrible as the Leafs were in the first (vs Jets) with all the turnovers and lazy play, he was not one of them. And it was very evident the urgency and purpose he was playing with.

If he can keep that up, he could play his want to being a very important part of the team in the second half of the season. At worst, an increased trade chip.

I mean, is he not the best performing LWer at this moment in time?

Reactions: 1specter

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is more measured now, he did have a tendency to run around like a chicken with his head cut off, but he's developing a maturity to his game, as expected with a young player. You can see him thinking the game more this year.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hope he keeps improving and sticks around.
Kid has always showed he has it between the ears.

Just like any kid, he needs time, encouragement, and opportunity to find his way. Is Keefe that guy? Let’s ask Liljegren.

It’s the resilience and refusal to quit that will take him where he’s going to go.

If he doesn’t find it here, it’s because we don’t give him the chance and support needed, but he will find it somewhere else.

Skilled and works hard, and now learning to work smart too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
For reading the boards and finally doing what many have said for weeks now. Yeah I guess.
One of the things that has arguably impressed about Robertson is his production relative to opportunities (TOI) and he played well above his seasonal average last night. That's a big step forward for a player who has spent decent time as a healthy scratch.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Starting to look like someone who can maybe slot into that second line left wing spot for cheap next season.

Going to need guys like Knies, Robertson and Holmberg’s cap hits next season.
Which really makes you wonder why we spent money on bertuzzi even though I thought he was what we were missing, but our area of need was in the 3c hole and partner for rielly everything else should have been internally tried first

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Which really makes you wonder why we spent money on bertuzzi even though I thought he was what we were missing, but our area of need was in the 3c hole and partner for rielly everything else should have been internally tried first

Bertuzzi brings the snot with less than 1 hit per game in Torontos inflated hit count barn.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bertuzzi is underperforming but is a tradeable asset.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Bert was a nice gamble on a 1 year deal… hasn’t quite worked out as we’d hoped.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It took a long time but I'm finely warming up to him. At first, like many others, I saw the great shot & the hustle, but not much else. He was getting knocked around, didn't see to have any consistency and there were better options on the left side.

This season in his limited ice time & appearances he's seemed more measured, less reckless, getting to the right spots on the ice and when Keefe had him out there with Matthews in OT not only was I surprised by the uncharacteristic, bold move form Sheldon but I agreed that he deserved it. I was happy for him that the decision paid off.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Was Domi supposed to be that 3C, and Klinberg a top 4 defender.

Rielly's partner probably retired, and he was kind of like Brodie was to Giordano years ago. Hainsey was a reliable journeyman. Wasn't a 1st. pairing defender, but he played one on TV.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Bertuzzi brings the snot with less than 1 hit per game in Torontos inflated hit count barn.

Bert was a nice gamble on a 1 year deal… hasn’t quite worked out as we’d hoped.

Regarding Bertuzzi: played well in Detroit, sought after player that Boston sees value and adds for the playoffs after a season for the record books. Proceeds to be their best playoff performer.

Comes to Toronto and doesn’t find his fit. Jeez, Detroit and Boston figured it out, could it possibly be that it’s on our asshat of a coach that he is not being used properly?

You know, the same asshat of a coach that sent Robertson down to play Malgin in 2LW, because, well, you know, it’s Malgin!

I know where my money lies on why Bertuzzi is under performing here.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Regarding Bertuzzi: played well in Detroit, sought after player that Boston sees value and adds for the playoffs after a season for the record books. Proceeds to be their best playoff performer.

Comes to Toronto and doesn’t find his fit. Jeez, Detroit and Boston figured it out, could it possibly be that it’s on our asshat of a coach that he is not being used properly?

You know, the same asshat of a coach that sent Robertson down to play Malgin in 2LW, because, well, you know, it’s Malgin!

In fairness, his stats last year in Detroit were 4 goals and 14 points total in 29 games, so not much different than his stats here. He also only put up four goals with Boston in 21 games.

But then the five goals in seven games in the playoffs.

Reactions: arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Sportsnet crew( Sammy, Bourne, Kypreos, Bunkis) have spent all season shitting all over Robertson and now they want him on the first line . Can’t make this stuff up lolol
Those guys are a waste of time for the most part. Ever notice how you read things here and a few day even weeks later they start talking about it like they are breaking news. lol!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Regarding Bertuzzi: played well in Detroit, sought after player that Boston sees value and adds for the playoffs after a season for the record books. Proceeds to be their best playoff performer. Comes to Toronto and doesn’t find his fit.
He produced the exact same in Detroit last year, and then struggled to score in Boston. This is not about "fit" (which he's been given every opportunity to find). This has been an ongoing problem everywhere since he broke both hands - destroying his ability to shoot, pass, and handle the puck. Pretty much the only thing he can do now is stand in front of the net and hope to bang in rebounds.

Bertuzzi was far from Boston's best player in the playoffs, but he fluked into an inflated point total and we fell for it.
This is why you don't base decisions on contextless point totals in tiny playoff samples.
We would have been better off putting Robertson in that spot, and buying something actually useful in the offseason

Reactions: authentic

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Sportsnet crew( Sammy, Bourne, Kypreos, Bunkis) have spent all season shitting all over Robertson and now they want him on the first line . Can’t make this stuff up lolol
He wasn't very good earlier and now he's better, seems like a reasonable take.
Shouldn't anyones view change based on the play of the player?

Just not seeming like a great fit. Was definitely worth the gamble but it obviously hasn't worked out as planned. It happens.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He produced the exact same in Detroit last year, and then struggled to score in Boston. This is not about "fit" (which he's been given every opportunity to find). This has been an ongoing problem everywhere since he broke both hands - destroying his ability to shoot, pass, and handle the puck. Pretty much the only thing he can do now is stand in front of the net and hope to bang in rebounds.

Bertuzzi was far from Boston's best player in the playoffs, but he fluked into an inflated point total and we fell for it.
This is why you don't base decisions on contextless point totals in tiny playoff samples.
We would have been better off putting Robertson in that spot, and buying something actually useful in the offseason
Also true, if Dubas signed him you’d be saying the exact opposite and rationalizing the decision. I’ve never seen a poster so go out of his way to elevate everything this GM does , while simultaneously minimizing any blunder from the former guy. There is never any intellectual nuance to your partisan protest, which is why it lacks credibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad