Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hopefully they can rid themselves of the Morales contract

On one hand that may make management look bad.

However on the other hand, if they can get a decent asset out of him, they could make it look like one of those "spending money to buy assets" deals they made before. Plus they did get a half decent season out of Morales too. Just not the player they needed to be successful.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
On one hand that may make management look bad.

However on the other hand, if they can get a decent asset out of him, they could make it look like one of those "spending money to buy assets" deals they made before. Plus they did get a half decent season out of Morales too. Just not the player they needed to be successful.

I don't think the optics are too bad a year down the road. Especially because you could spin it as one of those "it doesn't really work for both sides" type things since the intent with Morales was to shove Smoak out of the lineup and that didn't happen and it hamstrung them with the DH position.

It looks bad if you want to shove the guy out the door within a few months, or after year 1 of 5+ year contract, but one off-season to the next is enough time for it to be reasonable especially when it's a 3-year deal.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Worth noting that Anthopoulos was apparently the Braves' 2nd choice. Prior reports were that he was the org's fallback option if they were unable to lure Dayton Moore away from the Royals.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Worth noting that Anthopoulos was apparently the Braves' 2nd choice. Prior reports were that he was the org's fallback option if they were unable to lure Dayton Moore away from the Royals.

So not the first choice which is not surprising. Looks to be plan B.
So Braves not impressed enough by AA to have him as plan A.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
2 teams pass on AA. 3rd team only has him as plan B. Not a good sign. It shows that the league doesnt think he is that good. Oh well at least he is a GM again.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
2 teams pass on AA. 3rd team only has him as plan B. Not a good sign. It shows that the league doesnt think he is that good. Oh well at least he is a GM again.
I mean he was plan B to the guy who's team beat AA's (and won the World Series) ‍♂️

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

did they try to lure shapkins away from us?

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
He quit, so he is dead to me.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAtNAAAAJDkyN2VkMGQ5LTdkZTAtNGE5ZS04MWEwLWE3OGZlNmE2ZmViZQ.jpg

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It was always just a matter of time before someone hired AA. It'll be really interesting to see which direction he takes the team considering their current situation is similar to the Jays pre-Marlins trade.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Maybe AA comes back to the scene of the crime and offers up some prospects alla Synderguard and others for our aging players (Tulo, Martin, Morales).

The Braves do have a young and up and coming lineup. With prospect capital to boot.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Good situation for AA to land in. Happy for him. Really good collection of young talent and a top ~5 farm system (Albies, Acuna, Gohara, Soroka, Wright, etc.). Will be interesting if he looks to add more young depth by trading Freeman\Inciarte\Teheran or hold them and try to compete in the near-term. Braves fans should take heart in the fact that what they are lacking (pitching) is AA's specialty.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Good situation for AA to land in. Happy for him. Really good collection of young talent and a top ~5 farm system (Albies, Acuna, Gohara, Soroka, Wright, etc.). Will be interesting if he looks to add more young depth by trading Freeman\Inciarte\Teheran or hold them and try to compete in the near-term. Braves fans should take heart in the fact that what they are lacking (pitching) is AA's specialty.

Trade him Happ or Estrada for some of those nice prospects!!!!! Here's hoping AA thinks the Braves are ready to compete

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Or they wanted to talk to Dayton Moore who spent 13 years with the Braves organization to try and lure him back. I am sure you actually don't believe what you said.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
2018 Top 50 Free Agents | FanGraphs Baseball

An absolute wasteland that can hopefully be avoided, at least for the "top 10" guys. Any player that could be interesting to the Jays (i.e. Martinez, Bruce) will be grossly overpaid. My interest lies with Minor, Dyson, McGee, Neshek, Cischek, Hunter and Kendrick, with the latter six only on one year deals.

Team needs lie in the outfield and backup MI, so hopefully one of Nunez\Gomez\Maybin\Dyson\Jay\Kendrick gets left out to dry late into the offseason and is available for cheap. None should be playing everyday.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I thought AA passed on Minnesota and another team... i think Arizona comes to mind.

Great hire for Atlanta and good spot for AA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
2018 Top 50 Free Agents | FanGraphs Baseball

An absolute wasteland that can hopefully be avoided, at least for the "top 10" guys. Any player that could be interesting to the Jays (i.e. Martinez, Bruce) will be grossly overpaid. My interest lies with Minor, Dyson, McGee, Neshek, Cischek, Hunter and Kendrick, with the latter six only on one year deals.

Team needs lie in the outfield and backup MI, so hopefully one of Nunez\Gomez\Maybin\Dyson\Jay\Kendrick gets left out to dry late into the offseason and is available for cheap. None should be playing everyday.

I'll be honest... at 4/68, I would be interested in Cain. Unfortunately, I expect him to push closer to the Fowler contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad