Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Zero confidence in Shapiro/Atkins. But then again, I had 0 confidence in AA before July 2015 so they are always an offseason/deadline away from impressing me.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I scrolled through that TSN article (as reading the whole thing would have likely resulted in a headache). Below it was a video entitled "Could Braves' AA target Donaldson?"

Acuna, Albies, Inciarte, Soroka, Parsons. Too much? **** off, and good luck with your new job.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Not really news as we'd scouted him enough that everyone knew we'd be "in" on him, and it's obvious he fits just about anywhere for the cost. It'll all come down to where he wants to go but good to see management continues to seem like they're going to go hard after him.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Does anyone think Jays would be serious in trading Osuna? I know he’s under control for awhile. His salary seems friendly.

Maybe too early to consider a trade?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Not really news as we'd scouted him enough that everyone knew we'd be "in" on him, and it's obvious he fits just about anywhere for the cost. It'll all come down to where he wants to go but good to see management continues to seem like they're going to go hard after him.

Id be more interested if he didnt say that they were prepared. I imagine every team in the MLB has a presentation ready trying to convince him to go to their team because it could be a great investment. I have a sliver of hope, which still might be too much lol

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So what would be the plan, a fielder most nights with the availability to come in relief? Or a starter every 5 days and can be used as a sub on the field on his off days?

I think he's going to want to play with whoever gives him the most oppurtunity to do both. I think something like the following could work.

Pitch, DH, field, field, day off, repeat

The relief part would be interesting because that would give you the ability to rotate him to pitch multiple seperate times in the same game and go to the outfield inbetween but if he's a starter then he likely only pitches like a normal starter, once every 5 games. But you may have the ability to work the pitching changes a bit to pull him from a start, toss him in left field and have him come back a hitter later or something. But you're costing yourself an outfielder everytime you do that.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I wonder how much leash he'd get through a slump. Say he starts the season 1 for 25 or something.

I don't see us getting him but i would absolutely love it. As an added bonus it would quiet the Shatkins haters...at least for a little bit.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I think he's going to want to play with whoever gives him the most oppurtunity to do both. I think something like the following could work.

Pitch, DH, field, field, day off, repeat

The relief part would be interesting because that would give you the ability to rotate him to pitch multiple seperate times in the same game and go to the outfield inbetween but if he's a starter then he likely only pitches like a normal starter, once every 5 games. But you may have the ability to work the pitching changes a bit to pull him from a start, toss him in left field and have him come back a hitter later or something. But you're costing yourself an outfielder everytime you do that.
If the Jays get him, they should just DH him everyday except the ones he starts. Just in case he has a bad start and comes out early, the relief pitchers wont have to hit.

Unless he wants to field, then I'd let him if thats what makes him choose Toronto.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If the Jays get him, they should just DH him everyday except the ones he starts. Just in case he has a bad start and comes out early, the relief pitchers wont have to hit.

Unless he wants to field, then I'd let him if thats what makes him choose Toronto.

It's going to come down to what he wants, and I think he's going to want to play the field. If the Jays tell him they want him to DH only then he'll probably go somewhere that he gets to field. But there has to be a happy medium, I don't think anyone will want him playing the field on the days after and before his start, but I'm not sure hitting 40% of the time will be enough which is why I put him DH the day after his start too.

I agree that you let someone else DH for him on his starts. It would be an interesting choice if you could DH for someone else instead of your pitcher, but given the choice is a DH hits, or your pitcher hits, it would make far too much sense to just have the DH hit and have him focus on pitching those games.

The Jays only have 1 real locked in everyday outfielder though, so we're in a position where we can afford to have some switch in and out to fit Otani in. That is pre-offseason anyway.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It's going to come down to what he wants, and I think he's going to want to play the field. If the Jays tell him they want him to DH only then he'll probably go somewhere that he gets to field. But there has to be a happy medium, I don't think anyone will want him playing the field on the days after and before his start, but I'm not sure hitting 40% of the time will be enough which is why I put him DH the day after his start too.

I agree that you let someone else DH for him on his starts. It would be an interesting choice if you could DH for someone else instead of your pitcher, but given the choice is a DH hits, or your pitcher hits, it would make far too much sense to just have the DH hit and have him focus on pitching those games.

The Jays only have 1 real locked in everyday outfielder though, so we're in a position where we can afford to have some switch in and out to fit Otani in. That is pre-offseason anyway.

The reliever-having-to-bat thing would be at least somewhat negated by having an extra bench player.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Apparently we're the only team that has scouted everyone of his games for the last two years. I can't remember where I read it but it was a couple days ago. If that's the case there is for sure heavy interest on our side which makes me very happy. If we could pull off getting him by some fluke it would be incredible.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ross Atkins, speaking Monday after the first day of the GM meetings at the Waldorf Astoria, described getting someone to protect against the uncertainty around Devon Travis and Troy Tulowitzki as his team’s top priority. But addressing the need is going to be difficult because productive super utility types are a commodity he admitted, “every team values significantly.”

The options are not plentiful in free agency with Eduardo Nunez, acquired mid-season by the Boston Red Sox from the San Francisco Giants, available on the high end, and Danny Espinosa, who bounced through three teams last year, a roll-the-dice, bounce-back option.

While the Blue Jays are trying to create their own Ben Zobrist in Cuban prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr., he’s going to need some time. That leaves either anteing up for Nunez or trading for someone like Milwaukee’s Jonathan Villar, San Diego’s Yangervis Solarte or Marwin Gonzalez of the Houston Astros to make it happen.

“We just want to consolidate depth into elite level talent—if we can,” Girsch said. “Now, there aren’t a lot of teams wandering around saying ‘here, take our elite level player,’ but there are some who have possibilities.”

One way or another, the Cardinals are trading an outfielder or two this winter, and even assuming the Blue Jays keep Donaldson, they’re match up neatly with St. Louis. The Blue Jays have depth in the bullpen and with Dexter Fowler, Randal Grichuk, Tommy Pham, Stephen Piscotty, Jose Martinez, Tyler O’Neill, Harrison Bader and Oscar Mercado all in the organization, the Cardinals have more outfielders than they can handle.

“We have depth in the outfield to the point where it’s not even fair to our players to bring all of them back,” Girsch said. “There are guys who deserve to be in the big-leagues who’d be pushed to triple-A. There are guys who deserve to be in triple-A who’d be pushed to double-A. We almost have to move some outfielders.

“So yeah, we’re listening, we’re talking, we’re exploring.”

For now, the same applies to all 30 teams. Within days, those discussions will turn to action and the off-season will finally start taking shape.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
So Atkins comes out and says they want two impact players...... one to fill in for Travis/Tulo while they're inevitably on the DL
Now, it's going to be difficult because there's not much out there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->