Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Don't think Sundin was wasted...he had some good teams but just didn't win.

Halladay for sure was wasted you are right but it is much harder to rebuild in baseball.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Im still having trouble accepting and processing this. Its extremely upsetting.

The world lost someone special. Roy was simply an amazing player and even better person.

He will always be one of a kind, and will be in our hearts forever.
We all miss you:(

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
On a baseball note. Bruce is apparently looking for a 5 year deal. I have zero interest in Bruce for 5 years

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anybody know if the reports I'm seeing that Halladay wanted to work for the Jays, but was made to apply for a position and then they wouldn't hire him are true? I saw it mentioned in Bob Elliot's piece. And have subsequently noticed some comments on Twitter.

I remember when he retired he expressed an interest in management/coaching and it seemed like such a no-brainer. And I can vaguely recall hearing that he had gone to work for the Phillies, but I thought it was because the Phillies spring complex is closer to his home.

To hear it's possible the current Jays management might have told him to get bent blows me away. I mean, there is literally no downside to bringing Roy Halladay on as a coach or special assistant, or whatever. If it doesn't work out and he's not the right fit they could quietly let him go a year later or whatever.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
To bring back the sour theme the Red Sox top prospect Flores has passed away at 17 from complications from cancer treatment. Brutal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Anybody know if the reports I'm seeing that Halladay wanted to work for the Jays, but was made to apply for a position and then they wouldn't hire him are true? I saw it mentioned in Bob Elliot's piece. And have subsequently noticed some comments on Twitter.

I remember when he retired he expressed an interest in management/coaching and it seemed like such a no-brainer. And I can vaguely recall hearing that he had gone to work for the Phillies, but I thought it was because the Phillies spring complex is closer to his home.

To hear it's possible the current Jays management might have told him to get bent blows me away. I mean, there is literally no downside to bringing Roy Halladay on as a coach or special assistant, or whatever. If it doesn't work out and he's not the right fit they could quietly let him go a year later or whatever.

current Jays management can go suck a f***.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Some Boston area sports talk radio jabroni caused a bit of a firestorm yesterday with a scorching hot take about how Halladay was a selfish asshat for flying a plane when he had a family and about how he "deserved what he got" because he's apparently society's greatest monster for not sitting at home cocooned in bubble wrap.

Even if you think it was recklessness that contributed to his death, it takes a special kind of callous slimeball to go on the radio and chirp "he deserved it" about a guy who just passed away.

....what?
sometimes i truly don't get people. i'm sure he got lessons. he just flew too low and crashed. accidents happen.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I’m sure there’s more to the story that we haven’t heard about, and I’m not willing to make assumptions based off rumours. The Jays hired Devon White last winter as a hitting coach for the Bisons, so I’m not entirely sure why they would feel the need to decline someone of Halladay’s ilk. I suppose this will spiral out into an “AA would have hired him” spiel.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
he just flew too low and crashed. accidents happen.

Multiple reports have emerged that people saw Halladay's plane being piloted recklessly shortly before the crash. Numerous witnesses said he was rapidly descending towards the water and doing a number of other strange moves. There is even now cell phone video online of guys in a boat that were watching him. You can hear the guys on the boat saying stuff along the lines of: "What the *bleep* is this guy doing?"

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I’m sure there’s more to the story that we haven’t heard about, and I’m not willing to make assumptions based off rumours. The Jays hired Devon White last winter as a hitting coach for the Bisons, so I’m not entirely sure why they would feel the need to decline someone of Halladay’s ilk. I suppose this will spiral out into an “AA would have hired him” spiel.

to your last point, probably. i mean if he wanted to work with the Jays, i'm pretty sure they would have.

Multiple reports have emerged that people saw Halladay's plane being piloted recklessly shortly before the crash. Numerous witnesses said he was rapidly descending towards the water and doing a number of other strange moves. There is even now cell phone video online of guys in a boat that were watching him. You can hear the guys on the boat saying stuff along the lines of: "What the *bleep* is this guy doing?"

oh wow.... that's not good. :(
(thanks for that correction).

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I saw the video online that you are speaking of. It did seem very weird what it was that I was seeing. That being said no one can speculate that the maneuvering happening in the video was being done purposely or if there was something malfunctioning with the plane or something was wrong with Halladay himself. The two voice recording boxes that were retrieved from the plane crash site will further clarify what happened in the minutes leading up to the crash. And we can all have some clarity before assuming things.

With that all being said, the plane itself is meant to fly above water at low altitudes. Him being that low as the video was portraying is normal for these types of aircrafts. Its basically a seadoo with wings. Stupid if you ask me but I guess that was a pass time Halladay liked, who am I to pass judgement on someone had a passion like him. In the end, his life ended prematurely and it should be sad for all fans to lose this special athlete and person.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I saw the video online that you are speaking of. It did seem very weird what it was that I was seeing. That being said no one can speculate that the maneuvering happening in the video was being done purposely or if there was something malfunctioning with the plane or something was wrong with Halladay himself. The two voice recording boxes that were retrieved from the plane crash site will further clarify what happened in the minutes leading up to the crash. And we can all have some clarity before assuming things.

With that all being said, the plane itself is meant to fly above water at low altitudes. Him being that low as the video was portraying is normal for these types of aircrafts. Its basically a seadoo with wings. Stupid if you ask me but I guess that was a pass time Halladay liked, who am I to pass judgement on someone had a passion like him. In the end, his life ended prematurely and it should be sad for all fans to lose this special athlete and person.

From what I read, there was no voice recorder on that kind of plane. It was equipped with flight data recorders, which - from what I understand, measure speed, altitude, how the plane was functioning, etc.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Still doesn't justify saying he deserved to die, particularly within a couple of days of it happening.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
to your last point, probably. i mean if he wanted to work with the Jays, i'm pretty sure they would have.

Just to be clear, Bob Elliot's piece said Halladay was interested in working for the Jays and was asked to apply for a job (with the high performance department). The application was "kicked upstairs" where a decision not to hire him was made. In other words, Halladay was interested, the Jays were not.

I thought it was strange he left it hanging like that (and really, was it necessary to mention on the day of his death? I took it as a cryptic shot at the current management, which seemed highly inappropriate considering the circumstances) and wondered if there was more to the story than the limited information Elliot provided.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Still doesn't justify saying he deserved to die, particularly within a couple of days of it happening.

Nobody was justifying what the guy in Boston said (which I haven't heard or seen).

I was replying to a post that suggested it was an unfortunate accident by pointing out some evidence has emerged that perhaps there was more to it than that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nobody was justifying what the guy in Boston said (which I haven't heard or seen).

I was replying to a post that suggested it was an unfortunate accident by pointing out some evidence has emerged that perhaps there was more to it than that.

That's fair.

I'm just pissed at that part and needed to rant :laugh:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Just to be clear, Bob Elliot's piece said Halladay was interested in working for the Jays and was asked to apply for a job (with the high performance department). The application was "kicked upstairs" where a decision not to hire him was made. In other words, Halladay was interested, the Jays were not.

I thought it was strange he left it hanging like that (and really, was it necessary to mention on the day of his death? I took it as a cryptic shot at the current management, which seemed highly inappropriate considering the circumstances) and wondered if there was more to the story than the limited information Elliot provided.

Elliott's always going to be happy to provide whatever information makes current management look the worst. That's not to say it's not true, of course. I just think he'll always provide the details that make them look bad and leave out any that may explain the situation a bit more. Guys like Elliott, Griffin, and McCown, who have always been open about their close friendships with Paul Beeston and their feelings about the horrible way he and Anthopoulos were treated on the way out, have been doing this kind of thing for over two years now.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto has made attempts in the past to sign Jay Bruce before and it is expected to be a player this winter for his services. The Cardinals, Giants and Mariners also are seen as teams that will be in the Bruce market after his very productive season in New York and Cleveland. Bruce should be able to get a significant three-year deal based on his performance in 2017, and besides the second half of the year before, he has been a pretty consistent producer throughout his career. The Jays seek an outfielder and have looked into deals for him in the past, while the Mariners and Giants also need an outfielder and the Cardinals could consider one. The Mets and Indians both liked Bruce very much, but his performance could price him out of those teams, who took him on at full salary but on only parts of his previous contract.

Some are suggesting that Jose Bautista may have to take a minor-league deal after a rough year in Toronto, but we don’t think so, not as long as he doesn’t wait around for the perfect deal.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I read yeasterday that Bruce is looking for 5 years, and for that reason I'm out.

Of course that's what he wants. Unfortunately for him, every team in baseball will be out at that point.

I'm more interested than I was at this time the last couple years, but I would draw the line somewhere around the Morales contract. And even then I'm not convinced it'll work out that well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Start the off season like you did last year. Only difference is we brought in Morales last year, this year you ship him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad