Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
This style of player is just as extinct as the enforcer. If not, more. I've seen enough.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nash leads the team with 2:00 of PK time a night- the PK is 3rd in the league.

He's been on the 3rd and 4th line

Why is he the scapegoat when offense and the PP are so clearly the problem?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Agreed. He's a big part of an excellent PK. He's not a problem, IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's a forward. He's suppose to be part of the offense. Holy smokes.

He decent at killing penalties and face-offs. Whooppee!!!

A good face-off man is nice and all, but considering the face-off talent on this team already, Nash isn't needed.

Killing penalties? One of the easiest things to coach and skill-set to develop. Being a good penalty killer might be one of the easiest skills to find via trade/draft/free agency because there are hundreds of players who can do it well.

Credit for this teams improved PK is mostly for Tuukka Rask, not Riley Nash.

I can't believe their are folks here who want a guy in this line-up on pace for 2 goals because he's a decent penalty killer and can take a face-off.

2 goals....it doesn't matter what else he does well, it's not good enough.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

he has 5 pts in 30 games

he provides very little impact for the team...has no idea what to do with the puck in the offensive game

We don't need nash to kill penalties

Bergeron, Marchand
Moore, Czarnik

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

A good face-off man is nice and all, but considering the face-off talent on this team already, Nash isn't needed.

Killing penalties? One of the easiest things to coach and skill-set to develop. Being a good penalty killer might be one of the easiest skills to find via trade/draft/free agency because there are hundreds of players who can do it well.

I can't believe their are folks here who want a guy in this line-up on pace for 2 goals because he's a decent penalty killer and can take a face-off.

When Backes went down and I saw Nash out on the 2nd line, I thought of you :laugh:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
he has 5 pts in 30 games

he provides very little impact for the team...has no idea what to do with the puck in the offensive game

We don't need nash to kill penalties

Bergeron, Marchand
Moore, Czarnik

You need more than two pairs out there on the PK, especially as the season is in the latter months.

There's more in gauging value in a hockey player than points. Nash has his warts, but I find he's helped more than hindered out there. I don't get the hate.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You need more than two pairs out there on the PK, especially as the season is in the latter months.

There's more in gauging value in a hockey player than points. Nash has his warts, but I find he's helped more than hindered out there. I don't get the hate.

5 points in 30 games ... playing in the 2nd and 3rd lines, holding these lines back

Nash PK help (its ok btw nothing amazing) , does not makeup for the lack of production

Once Backes, Belesky is back, Nash has to sit out or be dropped to the 4th line worst case

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When Backes went down and I saw Nash out on the 2nd line, I thought of you :laugh:

Hahaha....I couldn't watch the game last night but you can be sure I would of lost my mind when I saw Nash taking Backes spot.

But given what happened last night, I would of lost my mind at a lot of things.

I just watched the McQuaid restraining gong-show by those two clowns in linesmen uniforms. I could almost reach through the PC screen and punch both linesmen. Just two idiots in stripes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

True.

But there also comes a point where doesn't matter what else you do well, you need to produce.

Joonas Kemppainen did a lot of these same nice little things as well. He ended up waived, in Providence, and now the KHL.

The KHL seems like the type of place Nash belongs.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016

Amazing post. Summed up perfectly. Fans have become truly warped by what Julien has been shoving down our throats for awhile now.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016

He gets far too much even strength time. He's flat out useless over the red line. It's not like the Bruins score so many goals they can coverup six of these types of players In the lineup at times.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Just out of curiosity, why hasn't Colton Hargrove been given a chance? He fills that hard-nosed role that Bruin fans love. Production on Providence looks adequate. Just an outsider looking in. I hate these soft "utility" players replacing the role of enforcers/willing grinders on fourth-lines. Tyler Randell was one of my favorite forwards last season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He averages 14 mins a night. He's played almost half a season.

He has one goal (a triple deflection fluke goal no less).

He's played 535 mins of ice time. There is only one forward in the NHL (Bellemare) who has played more minutes than Nash and only has 1 goal.

There are only 3 forwards in the entire league who have played 500 mins or more and only have 1 goal. Bellemare, Nash, and Glendening.

He's is absolutely part of the problem.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He averages 14 mins a night. He's played almost half a season.

He has one goal (a triple deflection fluke goal no less).

He's played 535 mins of ice time. There is only one forward in the NHL (Bellemare) who has played more minutes than Nash and only has 1 goal.

There are only 3 forwards in the entire league who have played 500 mins or more and only have 1 goal. Bellemare, Nash, and Glendening.

He's is absolutely part of the problem.
Nash having buzzards luck

Smart excellent defensive player needs to stay on 4th line with Moore

Drives me crazy when he gets moved up

I can see him getting hot second half and doubling his first half output

Claude loves him

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gregory Campbell would be an upgrade, statistically.

Funny, Campbell's last season here he was a frequent target around here (rightly so, he was cooked by then, just awful, watching him with Paille and Gagne was worse than watching paint dry). Found himself a healthy scratch by seasons end.

Yet, still managed to score 6 goals in 70 games.

That's TRIPLE the pace of Nash.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nash having buzzards luck

Smart excellent defensive player needs to stay on 4th line with Moore

Drives me crazy when he gets moved up

I can see him getting hot second half and doubling his first half output

Claude loves him

He doesn't have buzzards luck.

He's got an absolutely lousy shot, and no scoring touch.

I don't care if he's the world's best defensive forward.

1 goal in half a season mean's your not an NHL caliber player. Period.

But Claude does love him unfortunately. I'd put the odds of Nash being a healthy scratch at about 0.000001%

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He doesn't have buzzards luck.

He's got an absolutely lousy shot, and no scoring touch.

I don't care if he's the world's best defensive forward.

1 goal in half a season mean's your not an NHL caliber player. Period.

But Claude does love him unfortunately. I'd put the odds of Nash being a healthy scratch at about 0.000001%

I mean, he had 22 points in 64 games last season and 25 in 68 the year before. It's not like he got worse at 27 years old. He is shooting 1.9% after shooting 10% the rest of his career. He should be on the 4th line. If he was getting 20 odd points on the 4th line while contributing on the PK for his 900k we would be happy. He needs to start making his own luck on that shooting percentage, but the real issue isn't Nash, it's the fact that Pasta and Backes have both been in and out of the lineup and Nash is keeps getting forced up in the lineup.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Nash one of a handful of guys on the team that I feel really safe defensively when he's on the ice. He's not a guy who you can count on for scoring but he doesn't make many mistakes.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Nash one of a handful of guys on the team that I feel really safe defensively when he's on the ice. He's not a guy who you can count on for scoring but he doesn't make many mistakes.

He's basically the new Gregory Campbell, right down to CJ trying him out on top lines and the PP, driving HFBoards into collective meltdown.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, he had 22 points in 64 games last season and 25 in 68 the year before. It's not like he got worse at 27 years old. He is shooting 1.9% after shooting 10% the rest of his career. He should be on the 4th line. If he was getting 20 odd points on the 4th line while contributing on the PK for his 900k we would be happy. He needs to start making his own luck on that shooting percentage, but the real issue isn't Nash, it's the fact that Pasta and Backes have both been in and out of the lineup and Nash is keeps getting forced up in the lineup.

If he could get 20 pts, with at least 25% of those points as goals, while manning a 4th line spot with about 12 mins a game including his PK time, yeah would would be happy with that at 900k.

But he isn't. Not even close.

The real issue is Nash. He isn't producing like an NHL caliber forward.

That's the one part I can't figure out. His significant drop in production, especially his goal scoring.

But it's not just luck. Honestly I don't know what it is, I didn't see him enough in Carolina to know what's changed. I don't know what his usage was like, who he played with, etc. His shot is lousy, that much I can tell.

I will say I believe he played a lot more RW in Carolina than he did C, despite his face-off ability. And I think his numbers as a winger in the Carolina system, and oppose to being primarily a C in the Bruins system, would bump up his numbers.

But a depth level NHL player finding himself no longer productive in a new environment, even at age 27-28, is not like it never happens either. It's not the norm, but it's not like it's some huge anomaly that rarely ever happens.

Some teams would of cut bait with his lack of production already. This is a 10-goal scorer now producing at a John Scott level.

He's not getting the job done. His skill-set (good defensive foward, good PKer) is so easy to find in the hockey world it's not even funny. I'd almost guarantee their are guys in the AHL who are just as good at defensive play, killing penalties, and can take faceoffs, as Nash is. Nash gets the opportunity based on his NHL past production. But this a results driven business. His previous 10-goal seasons shouldn't buy him that much rope.

So that's what needs to be done. If Sweeney wants to bring in a similar type of player fine, but find one who will produce at least at an acceptable NHL level. So far that isn't Riley Nash.

What I don't understand, is this is essentially the exact same issue this team had with Joonas Kemppainen last season. Somewhat different style of player, but bring essentially the same attributes, strong two-way play, face-offs, penalty killing, near-zero offense.

It took them almost 3/4 of a season to realize it wasn't working and sent Kemppainen away.

I didn't get why Claude loved Kemppainen, I don't get why he loves Nash.

I don't know why it took Sweeney so long to fix his mistake, and I don't know why he's waiting to fix his mistake on Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad