Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure Sweeney acquired Nash to do exactly what hes doing now. Be an OK 3rd line center when there are injuries.

Heinen Krejci Backes
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Beleksey Spooner Hayes
4th line

And to answer your question, I'm sure when Vatrano returns there will be some serious talks about Hayes. He really looks overmatched at times.

I don't expect Vatrano to be ready until around Thanksgiving. Even then, how far behind will he be. Unless he's absolutely needed, he's probably got at least a few weeks in Providence to get up to speed and shake the rust off.

This team can't afford to wait until Vatrano is ready to deal with Jimmy Hayes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't expect Vatrano to be ready until around Thanksgiving. Even then, how far behind will he be. Unless he's absolutely needed, he's probably got at least a few weeks in Providence to get up to speed and shake the rust off.

This team can't afford to wait until Vatrano is ready to deal with Jimmy Hayes.

yep, TBH, I wouldn`t expect Vatrano to really start looking comfortable until late into December he`ll be that far behind.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm done with this guy.

He's another Kemppainen. Different skill-set, same result.

Zero, zero, zero, zero.

Wonder if the Bruins can swing a trade with HC Davos and send Riley to a league more befitting his ahem.....skill-set.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'm done with this guy.

Zero, zero, zero, zero.

Wonder if the Bruins can swing a trade with HC Davos and send Riley to a league more befitting his ahem.....skill-set.

He's much better than Kemppainen.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I'm done with this guy.

Zero, zero, zero, zero.

I was just thinking tonight as I was watching him that he's like, y'know, like in dog food commercials, when they say that it contains "no fillers or meat by-products"? Yeah, that's like Nash. Yeah.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's much better than Kemppainen.

He's more skilled.

Unfortunately, the end result of the puck being on his stick or him being on the ice is the same. That result being not much positive. His wrist shot might be one of the weakest in the league, no velocity whatsover. I've never seen him use a slap-shot.

He'd be a decent 13th forward. But there is no chance of that happening with this coaching staff.

You can tell by his moves in the shoot-out he's the text-book definition of a player who can wow you in practice, but it never translates over to a real game.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
The problem with him is:

1) A coach who thinks he is a suitable fill-in as a #1RWer. It is tragically unfunny at this point.

2) I get his acquisition, I really do, he would have been much, much better than Talbot on last year's squad. But Nash on a team that has both Moore and Acciari.... it just doesn't make sense. Both those players have played better than him in similar roles, so where does that leave him? In my books: traded.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The problem with him is:

1) A coach who thinks he is a suitable fill-in as a #1RWer. It is tragically unfunny at this point.

2) I get his acquisition, I really do, he would have been much, much better than Talbot on last year's squad. But Nash on a team that has both Moore and Acciari.... it just doesn't make sense. Both those players have played better than him in similar roles, so where does that leave him? In my books: traded.

Need two forwards with 70/40 NHL games signed for next year. He is one and Hayes is the other.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Need two forwards with 70/40 NHL games signed for next year. He is one and Hayes is the other.

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat but if forcing a round peg into a square hole (forcing a spot for Nash on the roster over a better player) results in losing those precious few points that will make or break the playoffs then that is terrible asset management. If Acciari is better then, GREAT, play him!

He'll get his 40+ games and expose him in that spot (Nash's) instead. What we can't keep doing is playing both in the same role.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
There are plenty of ways to skin a cat but if forcing a round peg into a square hole (forcing a spot for Nash on the roster over a better player) results in losing those precious few points that will make or break the playoffs then that is terrible asset management. If Acciari is better then, GREAT, play him!

He'll get his 40+ games and expose him in that spot (Nash's) instead. What we can't keep doing is playing both in the same role.

Acciari is exempt, as are Vatrano and Czarnik as they are only in their 2nd professional seasons.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If Krejci/Bergy/Marchand were doing what they are capable of doing, a Nash thread wouldn`t be necessary. That trio have been the most disappointing this year

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

True.

Although if Schaller keeps playing, he'll make one of these two redundant for that purpose. But Sweeney couldn't foreseen that last July.

Still

Doesn't explain his permanent spot in the line-up

Doesn't explain why he's even considered as an option for RW on the Marchand line.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Nash is a very good 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line for a couple of games from time to time.

It's up to the coaching staff to put players in a position to succeed.

i think Moore would be better suited to play with Bergy and Marchand...again, this is a band-aid solution.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nash is a very good 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line for a couple of games from time to time.

It's up to the coaching staff to put players in a position to succeed.

i think Moore would be better suited to play with Bergy and Marchand...again, this is a band-aid solution.

This isn't true, at all.

He's got one goal in 30-something games. With ample ice-time.

The goal he scored was a lucky bounce.

Since when was 1 goal in 30-something games acceptable even for a 4th liner?

That's 5 min per game Enforcer level production.

He's not a 3rd line player, he's not a 4th line player. He's not an NHL caliber player based on this level of production.

When did the expectations of folks on this board for 4th line players become 2 goals a season? Soupy Campbell on one leg could score more.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Nash is no better then a 4th line talent, he should never under any circumstances be moved up to the top 2 lines of any NHL team.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Nash is no better then a 4th line talent, he should never under any circumstances be moved up to the top 2 lines of any NHL team.

This is why I think Vatrano will help immensely. Even if he doesn't light up the scoresheet immediately hes an automatic plug and play in the top 9. I think the trickle down effect will help a lot.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
When did the expectations of folks on this board for 4th line players become 2 goals a season? Soupy Campbell on one leg could score more.

12 points in 70 games, to be exact. Including one very famous end of the third period during the last game of the season where we needed points to get into the playoffs.

Riley Nash current statistics:
34gp 1g 4a 5pts

Gregory Campbell is just a little bit better than him offensively but not by much! Kind of surprising. And just to add a little bit of comedy…

John Scott '14-'15 statistics
38gp 3g 1a 4pts

One could argue that John Scott would be an upgrade.

Conclusion, trade Riley Nash. Or waiver wire.

PS: I forgot to add, Riley Nash was on the top line last night.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This is why I think Vatrano will help immensely. Even if he doesn't light up the scoresheet immediately hes an automatic plug and play in the top 9. I think the trickle down effect will help a lot.

I agree, once him and Pasta return this team has no more excuses. Currently our front line is somewhat depleted, so I will cut this team a little bit of slack.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Acciari is exempt, as are Vatrano and Czarnik as they are only in their 2nd professional seasons.

Oops, thanks! I have not really cared enough to look into it lately --guess I should brush up on it. I had heard some time back that the exemptions were going to be locked in for 18-24 year olds but that 25+ would be required to be protected if you really wanted them (in the same kind of way that a player becomes a Group VI UFA if 25+ but has not played a certain amount of games --the idea being to give them a better opportunity somewhere else). Looks like that never went through but the point remains that you put the BEST LINEUP POSSIBLE in every night to make the playoffs and then worry about it after the season. You can trade for players post "trade deadline" or even during the playoffs (they just can't play) or once you are out... the point being that you can acquire these slugs at any point in the year and you don't have to be playing them in your line-up since day 1 either.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Does not say that they have to have played those 40/70 for your specific NHL club.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Truly a one trick pony and he does that move so often other teams know it's coming, did it last night when he should be shooting then surprise surprise he looses the puck.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
This isn't true, at all.

He's got one goal in 30-something games. With ample ice-time.

The goal he scored was a lucky bounce.

Since when was 1 goal in 30-something games acceptable even for a 4th liner?

That's 5 min per game Enforcer level production.

He's not a 3rd line player, he's not a 4th line player. He's not an NHL caliber player based on this level of production.

First of all Nash didnt play all 30 or so games on the 4th line.

The "very good 4th liner" may have been a bit of a stretch. Nash is a good 4th liner.

I am more concerned about Bergeron that i am about Nash.

FWIW, Noel Acciari in 37 career games has 0 goals and 3 assists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad