Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins newcomer Riley Nash no bottom-six feeder

Nash hopes he’s able to have the same success with the B’s as he did against them. He notched three assists in three games last year, including a pair of helpers at the Garden, against the Bruins.

“You can ask anyone. There are some rinks that you feel comfortable in and Boston is one for me,†Nash said. “I don’t know what it is — the fans, the excitement level of being in Boston — you’re more engaged. I just always seem to find my game here in Boston and hopefully I can continue that playing for the other side this time.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/09/bruins_newcomer_riley_nash_no_bottom_six_feeder

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
have to admit, not sure I really ever noticed him when the B`s played the Canes, that might not be a bad thing. Maybe one of those players who contributes but isn`t in the forefront, nor will he be the guy who is an issue defensively?

From what I am reading, he`s a guy who`s level of effort won`t be called into question

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Haven't been able to watch much. How has Nash and Schaller looked thus far?

They've both looked good.

Nash has been a dependable center and has made some good offensive plays. The 3rd line, when it had Czarnik at center, really struggled. They were getting hemmed in, throwing the puck away and getting scored on. Nash has changed that. They're still not much of an offensive threat, but he helped stop the bleeding. They're getting out of their end and spending more time in the Ozone. Nash is winning 55% of his draws and killing penalties. Eventually, I think that line is going to need at least one player who's a little more offensive though.

Schaller has been good too. Typical 4th line grinder. Big, body who works the walls and goes to the net hard.

All in all, the 4th line has been so much better this year. Along with Moore and Acciari, they bring energy, physical play and smarts... They're keeping pressure off our D and grinding out shifts deep in the other team's end.

Last edited:

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
He's not a third line center on a successful playoff team IMO. I like him but the bottom 6 is a total black hole offensively.

This is what I've been saying. We have a good amount of 4th line players so they're going to find themselves on the 3rd line this year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is what I've been saying. We have a good amount of 4th line players so they're going to find themselves on the 3rd line this year.

They are also the kind of players who are not so good they will block kids.

Queue the Claude not playing kids comments, but I don't expect that Beleksey/Nash/Hayes will be the third line by seasons end.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
They are also the kind of players who are not so good they will block kids.

Queue the Claude not playing kids comments, but I don't expect that Beleksey/Nash/Hayes will be the third line by seasons end.

I expect hayes gone fairly soon. For a pick or something but we need room for some pizzaz in the bottom six, and i like our 4th line without him. Heinen-Spooner-Nash might work well. Move beleskey with dk until vatrano is back and up to speed. But a few bodies in the bottom six will have to go, whether heinen to lil b's and hayes in a trade, or beleskey and hayes out and put in the best young guns whether czar, debrusk, heinen etc.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Nash looks like the best 4th line center in the world but nothing more than that. He seems like the kind of player who at a glance can drive offense but nothing comes out of it. Not a bad thing for a 4th liner, as keeping possession is a big thing for a 4th line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Every shift i see him play he is in the defensive end, fighting for his life so that a goal isnt scored... or failing in dump and chase attempts

Gregory campbell, thorton , paille are greatly missed compared to a guy like nash

Moore has played well though

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Decent player, on a good team he's a versatile 4th line guy.

On this team right now he's a 3rd line C or Wing.

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS
Every shift i see him play he is in the defensive end, fighting for his life so that a goal isnt scored... or failing in dump and chase attempts

Gregory campbell, thorton , paille are greatly missed compared to a guy like nash

Moore has played well though

How is it that we both see completely opposite things? And why does Nash have possession numbers that are far better than any of those three?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How is it that we both see completely opposite things? And why does Nash have possession numbers that are far better than any of those three?

Have you seen him cycle the puck and put pressure on opposing teams like how the campbell, thorty, paille line used to do?

When nash , hayes are on the ice they are chasing most of the time vs having possession

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I am not gonna crush this guy because he's simply not a 3rd line player. He is a 4th liner at best. Not his fault we slotted him as 3c

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I disagree with most, I think he is a solid 4th liner. Also good on the PK so guys like Bergy and Krejci aren't getting hurt blocking shots. He should not be on the 3rd line, that is not Nash's fault though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree with most, I think he is a solid 4th liner. Also good on the PK so guys like Bergy and Krejci aren't getting hurt blocking shots. He should not be on the 3rd line, that is not Nash's fault though.

exactly, I would be surprised if Nash himself thinks he`s an ideal #3 C

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
If we had two very skilled player on the third ala spooner and pasta/vatrano/czarnik/heinen, He could work as a defensive winger and get make some decent offense with them, but not with hayes and beleskey.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Why is Hayes still wasting a roster spot? That was easily one of the Bruins worst trades ever. We gave away a young 20+ goal scorer for a guy who should be bottom 6 at best.

Honestly I hadn't heard of Riley Nash before now. I don't see why he is centering the 3rd line when we have more talented players like Backes and Spooner who could do the job. Getting Bergeron back is huge. Maybe we can go back to some more normal line combinations now.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why is Hayes still wasting a roster spot? That was easily one of the Bruins worst trades ever. We gave away a young 20+ goal scorer for a guy who should be bottom 6 at best.

Reilly Smith is currently doing his up year/down year thing he's famous for.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Honestly I hadn't heard of Riley Nash before now. I don't see why he is centering the 3rd line when we have more talented players like Backes and Spooner who could do the job. Getting Bergeron back is huge. Maybe we can go back to some more normal line combinations now.

I'm sure Sweeney acquired Nash to do exactly what hes doing now. Be an OK 3rd line center when there are injuries.

Heinen Krejci Backes
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Beleksey Spooner Hayes
4th line

And to answer your question, I'm sure when Vatrano returns there will be some serious talks about Hayes. He really looks overmatched at times.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm sure Sweeney acquired Nash to do exactly what hes doing now. Be an OK 3rd line center when there are injuries.

Heinen Krejci Backes
Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Beleksey Spooner Hayes
4th line

And to answer your question, I'm sure when Vatrano returns there will be some serious talks about Hayes. He really looks overmatched at times.

he`s not overmatched TVT, he`s outskilled by virtually every player in this league

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Riley Nash... Useless. Bruins would've better off keeping Kelly or better yet give Koko a real chance to play in the NHL. None of this 5-6 minute a night crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->