Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
truly appreciate his contributions this year, has to be considered for the 7th player today no? All that said, I think he`s likely priced himself out of Boston and I want to see NO repeats of paying 3rd liners too much and unless he takes a big discount, he`s likely going to try and cash in and that`s well within his right on his terrific season

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
truly appreciate his contributions this year, has to be considered for the 7th player today no? All that said, I think he`s likely priced himself out of Boston and I want to see NO repeats of paying 3rd liners too much and unless he takes a big discount, he`s likely going to try and cash in and that`s well within his right on his terrific season

you can probably make a case for like 8 different guys for the 7th player award. should be interesting, but figure mcavoy wins it.

as for nash, agree, wish him well but you can't give him the chris kelly pact. i would move backes to the middle and open up
a spot for bjork. also think schaller may get a little more money than he's worth:

marchand-bergeron-pastrnak
debrusk-krejci-donato
heinen-backes-bjork
frederic-kuraly-???
acciari

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The PK was a little scary, he should help that. Also, for whatever reason, he and Heinen seem to have some chemistry. Getting production from that 3rd line as well as responsible play would be huge.
A little scary? It was hella scary. Toronto was getting chance after chance against a PK that found itself scrambling and a stride behind much of the time. Toronto just failed to finish and the Bs got lucky. Riley definitely provides better mobility and positioning on the PK. I agree Riley's return to the 3rd line will be huge. He has been a massive part of this team's bottom 6's effectiveness this season.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A little scary? It was hella scary. Toronto was getting chance after chance against a PK that found itself scrambling and a stride behind much of the time. Toronto just failed to finish and the Bs got lucky. Riley definitely provides better mobility and positioning on the PK. I agree Riley's return to the 3rd line will be huge. He has been a massive part of this team's bottom 6's effectiveness this season.

Schaller has looked a bit lost on the PK lately. Might be time to put Krejci or BDR out there.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If Riley Nash is consistantly the centre called upon to replace Bergeron on line 1 (and I'm still amazed it's never Backes after the price paid there), then you have to at least consider the possibility of resigning him, letting Rick Nash go, and somehow getting out from under the Backes contract.

Obviously if someone is going to give him over 4.5 you let him walk. But under? Not so sure I let him go if he's good with 3.75 or something. No idea if that's viable.

If someone can make a case for anything other than Riley Nash > (Backes or Rick Nash) right now, I'd love to hear it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i would pay him 4.5 on a 1 year contract next year... but only a 1 year contract. when I crunch the numbers of the cap we could afford it for 1 year

I think any team would fear giving him a long term deal at this type of money... but I think there are teams that could go 3x3

so does he take the guarantee of 9 mill over the next 3 years... or does he bet on himself... take a 1 year deal at around 4.5 to prove this year wasn't a fluke?

having the safety blanket of nash around for a year lets us get a look at jfk. ultimately I expect jfk to be the better player. having nash here for 2-3-4 years could really be a drain on the cap once jfk is playing the 3rd line center spot.

I think nash's offense is a product of playing with marchand/pastrnak who are the best winger combination in the nhl. he wont get that anywhere else. props to him for stepping up... but hes not a 3 million dollar player when hes not on the bruins

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
oughtta should swap Riley with Krejci when Bergy comes back, then keep it that way right through the Cup and make me the prognosticatin'est prognosticator in the history of prognostication.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
In an interview last season after a slow start, Riley Nash admitted that he takes a long time to get going offensively with a new team. 16-17 was essentially a "feeling things out" phase for him. Clearly, he is producing at an impressive rate this year.

Any team that signs him this off-season will look at his 16-17 numbers... I wonder if it effects his overall value.

Based on that, I wonder if Sweeney makes Nash a reasonable offer...one that allows them to resign Heinen, Donato, Kuraly, Schaller and Gryz. With a little under $11m in cap space and a likely increase to the cap, they could make it work.

After all, the Bruins appear to be in win now mode and Nash has been hugely important.

They may also be better off letting JFK, Frederic and Studnicka marinate for a while.

I like this team a lot as is.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In an interview last season after a slow start, Riley Nash admitted that he takes a long time to get going offensively with a new team. 16-17 was essentially a "feeling things out" phase for him. Clearly, he is producing at an impressive rate this year.

Any team that signs him this off-season will look at his 16-17 numbers... I wonder if it effects his overall value.

Based on that, I wonder if Sweeney makes Nash a reasonable offer...one that allows them to resign Heinen, Donato, Kuraly, Schaller and Gryz. With a little under $11m in cap space and a likely increase to the cap, they could make it work.

After all, the Bruins appear to be in win now mode and Nash has been hugely important.

They may also be better off letting JFK, Frederic and Studnicka marinate for a while.

I like this team a lot as is.

Minimal at best.

This is a supply an demand thing. The demand for quality two-way centers is high, the supply is low.

Some GM with cap space to spare and pressure to improve his team will make a substantial offer believing he can bring to his new club what Nash has brought to the Bruins in 2017-18, not 2016-17. Happens every off-season during UFA buying time.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Minimal at best.

This is a supply an demand thing. The demand for quality two-way centers is high, the supply is low.

Some GM with cap space to spare and pressure to improve his team will make a substantial offer believing he can bring to his new club what Nash has brought to the Bruins in 2017-18, not 2016-17. Happens every off-season during UFA buying time.

I don't doubt what you are saying at all. Nash will get paid Chris Kelly money...and the Bruins shouldn't go there. Nash needs to feed his family. Follow the money, Riley.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't doubt what you are saying at all. Nash will get paid Chris Kelly money...and the Bruins shouldn't go there. Nash needs to feed his family. Follow the money, Riley.

100%, guy has earned himself a nice next contract, his first big payday. 8 years at the pro level putting in the work and sacrifices, he's earned the chance to make the kind of money to set himself and his family up very well for the rest of their lives. No one on this board ragged on Riley Nash like I did, but I'm glad he's played well enough to earn himself a very nice deal as a UFA, but he's priced himself out of Boston IMO unless they move at least one of Backes or Krejci, and that's tough to do this off-season with their NMCs.

They could sign him and try to move one of them the following off-season when their NMCs become NTCs, but if that's risky. Big contracts for declining players are tough to move.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
100%, guy has earned himself a nice next contract, his first big payday. 8 years at the pro level putting in the work and sacrifices, he's earned the chance to make the kind of money to set himself and his family up very well for the rest of their lives. No one on this board ragged on Riley Nash like I did, but I'm glad he's played well enough to earn himself a very nice deal as a UFA, but he's priced himself out of Boston IMO unless they move at least one of Backes or Krejci, and that's tough to do this off-season with their NMCs.

They could sign him and try to move one of them the following off-season when their NMCs become NTCs, but if that's risky. Big contracts for declining players are tough to move.
They just can’t sign him. This a another Kelly problem. I don’t think he’ll decline like Kelly though. Another thing is that probably a lot of centers would do good between 88 and 63.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
They just can’t sign him. This a another Kelly problem. I don’t think he’ll decline like Kelly though. Another thing is that probably a lot of centers would do good between 88 and 63.
Not that sure. They need a good offence guy, great defensiveley to protect the wingers tendacy of trying to get out the zone quickly and taking o chances and more over need a intelligent player. Bergeron is a top cemter in the league and Nash is a very good two way center. When Nash is in the line up, the third line is oftenly better the the second line. Don't get it wrong... Nash is a dawn good player.

Reactions: chizzler

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I agree, the safest move is to just let him walk and sign a nice contract elsewhere.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Having burned one ELC year last season, Karlsson will become a RFA after next year. Hopefully he can compete for the 3rd line C slot at Training Camp. Donato could be in the mix, too, due to his experience at the position and his good FO performance with the Bs.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Thinking outside the box here and fully aware of the NTC / NMC dynamics but...

What if they were to resign him 4 years 4.25M, trade Krejci for picks, let him take the 2nd line C and slot JFK/Heinen into the 3rd line...

Saves 3M on the cap to re-up yutes and with the depth of youngsters on this team it would probably balance out in terms of overall depth and production. May be enough to reup Nash on a 2 y 5M deal or something like that...

I like Krejci btw and think he's a good player but something has to give and at this point it feels Nash (as crazy as that sounds) is more a core player on the team than Krech...

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
He's barely played with Marchand and Pasta overall this year. He mostly played without them.

True, but he had 13 points in 13 games playing with Pasta/Marchand and 28 in 63 when he wasn't ,so there is at least some truth to that statement IMO.

He otherwise was on pace for a 34 point season which would probably change the conversation regarding his status for next year.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
True, but he had 13 points in 13 games playing with Pasta/Marchand and 28 in 63 when he wasn't ,so there is at least some truth to that statement IMO.

He otherwise was on pace for a 34 point season which would probably change the conversation regarding his status for next year.

It may, but other teams are also seeing that if given a top 2 center role, he can produce, and that will probably be enough to generate interest in a decent contract for him. He probably knows it too, so I can't imagine him taking average 3rd or 4th line dollars to stay here.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It may, but other teams are also seeing that if given a top 2 center role, he can produce, and that will probably be enough to generate interest in a decent contract for him. He probably knows it too, so I can't imagine him taking average 3rd or 4th line dollars to stay here.

It won't change it dramatically but it could be the difference between signing him or letting him walk. I know it's not likely we see Nash back next year but I think it's foolish to think he won't be missed. Management should at least try to get a reasonable deal done. His PO performance may yet influence the $$ as well, we'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad