Player Discussion Riley Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I would take him at under 3 mil. If you think this season is not a fluke then Bergeron ($6.7 ish) Krejci ($7.5 ish) and Nash ($3 ish) down the middle is absolutely deadly. I'm a believer that he can do it again with the depth this squad has. He would have two very good wingers next season, and it allows JFK and Frederic to develop more. Term is where I'm unsure. I'd get him at 2 to 3 years while I'm sure he'd like to be locked up longer.

Don't forget the cap is expected to rise as well.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Donato (assuming he could play off-wing)
Heinen-Nash-Backes
xxxx-Kuraly-xxxx

Reactions: StrBender

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would take him at under 3 mil. If you think this season is not a fluke then Bergeron ($6.7 ish) Krejci ($7.5 ish) and Nash ($3 ish) down the middle is absolutely deadly. I'm a believer that he can do it again with the depth this squad has. He would have two very good wingers next season, and it allows JFK and Frederic to develop more. Term is where I'm unsure. I'd get him at 2 to 3 years while I'm sure he'd like to be locked up longer.

Don't forget the cap is expected to rise as well

Cap is expected to rise but you need as much cap space as possible to sign McAvoy, Heinen, Donato and Carlo.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Cap is expected to rise but you need as much cap space as possible to sign McAvoy, Heinen, Donato and Carlo.

I really can't see Carlo earning a significant amount on his next contract, same with Heinen/Donato - could easily push for bridge deals unless they break out in a huge way next season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I really can't see Carlo earning a significant amount on his next contract, same with Heinen/Donato - could easily push for bridge deals unless they break out in a huge way next season.

It's been cited before, but the Brett Pesce deal is very comparable if the Bruins want to go long-term with Carlo.

Other than McAvoy (who they should lock up long-term ASAP), I can see all of the young guys ending up on bridge contracts to, for lack of a better term, bridge the gap until both Backes and Krejci are off the books two years later.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what a revelation Riley Nash has been this year. I'd be really hesitant to extend him just because I don't want another Chris Kelly situation on our hands but it's going to be really hard to see him go. It would be great if he would take a 2 year deal. 2 years ago I never would have believed that Riley would be able to fill in on the top line for a month and not look out of place. I actually wanted to keep Dominic Moore over Nash, wtf was I thinking?

The thing about Nash is I don't think he blocks any of the kids. If a JFK or Frederic makes the club then Nash can easily drop to the 4th line (Schaller/Kuraly/Nash maybe) and still has tons of value as a PK guy & has shown he can fill in when inevitable injuries occur.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
People laugh but I'm telling you Riley Nash is going to get $5m+ next year.

Soderberg got $4.75m after a 44 point season for the Bruins in 2015 at age 29 (turned 30 that October).

Nash turns 29 in May so he's a year younger and has shown he can fill in as a top C with defensive responsibility while putting up 40+ points. He has 11 more games to pad his numbers while he plays on the PP and PK.

Someone will give him a 5x$5m.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
The Hit Nash Took lastnite was crazy most bruins saw it on the bench and on the ice Mc was chasing him on the ice should have crushed him taking cheap shots on bruins players not good this time of the year,when playoffs are going to be a war.....

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Soderberg got $4.75m after a 44 point season for the Bruins in 2015 at age 29 (turned 30 that October).

Nash turns 29 in May so he's a year younger and has shown he can fill in as a top C with defensive responsibility while putting up 40+ points. He has 11 more games to pad his numbers while he plays on the PP and PK.

Hope it's the Habs then. :laugh:

Reactions: Thrive

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Maybe, maybe not. Other teams will be wary to pay him that kind of money for that long. My guess is any offers over 3 mil per will not be longer than 2-3 years. The guy has been great for us but even this season when he was promoted to the top line very early in the season in October and given PP time his all around play was solid but lets just say he was offensively limited and HF boards was not happy he was playing in that role even though it was due to injury.

This is a guy who playing so well right now that it doesn't matter hes not an all star hes completely keeping up with more talented linemates and keeping it simple playing a north south game is helping him.

I think the bottom 6 going forward looks pretty good if you have Backes, Nash, and 4 kids on contracts around 1 mil. I'd like to keep him the guys right in his prime and fits us like a glove if the deal is only 2-3 years and its not a huge amount of money I say do it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe, maybe not. Other teams will be wary to pay him that kind of money for that long. My guess is any offers over 3 mil per will not be longer than 2-3 years. The guy has been great for us but even this season when he was promoted to the top line very early in the season in October and given PP time his all around play was solid but lets just say he was offensively limited and HF boards was not happy he was playing in that role even though it was due to injury.

This is a guy who playing so well right now that it doesn't matter hes not an all star hes completely keeping up with more talented linemates and keeping it simple playing a north south game is helping him.

I think the bottom 6 going forward looks pretty good if you have Backes, Nash, and 4 kids on contracts around 1 mil. I'd like to keep him the guys right in his prime and fits us like a glove if the deal is only 2-3 years and its not a huge amount of money I say do it.

Some teams will, but no doubt there are GMs out there who will send him a substantial offer on July 1st. Happens every year, teams overpay on July 1st for players, even those with one really good year.

He's actually one of the best center options in free agency this year, in a league where every GM is looking for capable centers.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Some teams will, but no doubt there are GMs out there who will send him a substantial offer on July 1st. Happens every year, teams overpay on July 1st for players, even those with one really good year.

He's actually one of the best center options in free agency this year, in a league where every GM is looking for capable centers.

Hell the Caps gave Brooks Orpik 5 and 5. No doubt someone will overpay Reilly Nash too. Good for him, just won't happen here

Reactions: Thrive

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

If Riley Nash is in the 5 million neighborhood then best of luck to him and sign Wingle.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nash has been great. Reupping him depends what Sweeney things of JFK in regards to development .I support Sweeney here
Agree

I been getting a lot of kudos for my stance and defense of Nash from the start but who am I kidding :laugh: I had no clue he was this good or would play this well

I'm not sure what is the thought process on JFK's development here.

Maybe Heinen becomes the third line center next year till kids are ready

I like Donato on wing and near net not worrying so much about center responsibilities

Heinen has shown me he could probably do it and do it well

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Riley Nash is in the 5 million neighborhood then best of luck to him and sign Wingle.
He's a great add if the team getting him plays him as a third line center who's a regular rotation penalty killer

A lot of teams could use him he should get at least $3 M

Bergeron & Krejci age and injury history bode well for Nash returning though

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I think successful teams in the league today need to be comfortable letting middling vets in their late 20s walk. Especially guys coming off a career year.

Lock up and pay market for top talent and fill the rest of the roster with ELCs and guys like the Schaller’s and Riley Nash’s of two years ago.

Bruins got fine value for Nash last year and great value this year. Consider it found money and wish him the best. He is gonna get a nice contract. Win/win.

Reactions: Estlin and 00BW

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I think successful teams in the league today need to be comfortable letting middling vets in their late 20s walk. Especially guys coming off a career year.

Lock up and pay market for top talent and fill the rest of the roster with ELCs and guys like the Schaller’s and Riley Nash’s of two years ago.

Bruins got fine value for Nash last year and great value this year. Consider it found money and wish him the best. He is gonna get a nice contract. Win/win.

That's where I'm at. Love Nash, but they have to have learned their lesson with overpaying veteran bottom 6 guys, right? It's not worth possibly running into cap trouble in the future for key contributors (not to mention the glut of prospects).

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is Riley Nash’s productivity the new norm or an aberration? - The Boston Globe

By the clock the NHL uses to gauge a center’s productivity, 28-year-old Riley Nash has passed his window of peak offensive performance. Centers are mostly best positioned to score in their early and mid-20s, when their legs are bouncing and their hands are stout.

Nash has chosen this season to submit his best work.

“I think this is the first year where I’ve felt I’ve played a consistent game for all 70-something games this year,” said the versatile Bruins center. “I’ve had stretches where I’ve put together really good streaks, but not quite for a full season at this magnitude and at this length. That comes with age and being in the league a couple years, understanding the grind and what it takes to bring it every day. And part of that is attributed to the team. Everybody’s been playing really well.”

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Is Riley Nash’s productivity the new norm or an aberration? - The Boston Globe

By the clock the NHL uses to gauge a center’s productivity, 28-year-old Riley Nash has passed his window of peak offensive performance. Centers are mostly best positioned to score in their early and mid-20s, when their legs are bouncing and their hands are stout.

Nash has chosen this season to submit his best work.

“I think this is the first year where I’ve felt I’ve played a consistent game for all 70-something games this year,” said the versatile Bruins center. “I’ve had stretches where I’ve put together really good streaks, but not quite for a full season at this magnitude and at this length. That comes with age and being in the league a couple years, understanding the grind and what it takes to bring it every day. And part of that is attributed to the team. Everybody’s been playing really well.”
Late bloomer with a 1st rounder mojo. I resign him in a heartbeat!

First line center, third line center whatever!

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The thing about Nash is I don't think he blocks any of the kids. If a JFK or Frederic makes the club then Nash can easily drop to the 4th line (Schaller/Kuraly/Nash maybe) and still has tons of value as a PK guy & has shown he can fill in when inevitable injuries occur.

Would you want a 3 or 4 million dollar 4th line centre? I don't . It's a nice season by Nash, but you need to get value out of the bottom part of the roster. Nash needs to walk

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bergeron & Krejci age and injury history bode well for Nash returning though

Bringing back Nash would not be an issue had the Bruins drafted Barzal... :naughty:

Chris Kelly 2.0 if Boston signs him. Let him walk in the off-season. Have JFK (or Heinen or Backess, if he's not ready) center the third line next season.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I said it before Riley is earning the payday he is going to get. Good for him too. He deserves every dime. The way he has excelled in every role asked of him this season. But I let him walk. With the young guys we have to pay after next season and the options we have on the roster already and kids like JFK and Frederic coming, I think it be unwise to spend $3million+ a year on Nash. Even if JFK and Frederic need more time next season in the A we could roll with
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci- Bjork
Donato- Backes- Heinen

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad