Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
Good to see Rick get on the board. That's the type of goal he is well capable of scoring - tap-ins around the net. Don't expect him to snipe any or put the finishing touch on the scoring chances he creates. He is really lacking in those departments.

True his goals for us have been pretty grimy, but he's got this in his locker:

Some might call him a bust, but he's a #1 overall talent.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Who? The guy lead the NHL in goals one season. He's got over 400 goals, over 800 pts. A 0.8 ppg player for his career.

No one is going to call him a bust. Anyone who does their expectations for a No.1 overall pick are out of whack.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

never heard anyone call him a bust. My biggest concern/question mark is can Nash rise to the occasion of the playoffs? I think the biggest bonus for him these days with the B`s are he`s not THE guy. He is able to not shoulder much of the load offensively and be a complimentary piece, in other years, even while playing on some solid Ranger teams, he was the focus of opponents and he struggled at times. That said, if all I`m doing is looking at the stats, he`s played a few more games than Marchand and has put up only a few less pts but if you take out Marchand`s insane stats from this year, they both have about the same number of pts

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
Who? The guy lead the NHL in goals one season. He's got over 400 goals, over 800 pts. A 0.8 ppg player for his career.

No one is going to call him a bust. Anyone who does their expectations for a No.1 overall pick are out of whack.

Fair enough, bust is a strong word - and he's head and shoulders above other first rounders in his draft year, which are the only fair comparisons. 2002 was not a strong year.

The #1 overall pick in the NHL has an incredible track record though. If you look at the 15 drafts after Nash came into the league, the only players he beats out, in my opinion, are M.A. Fleury (very debatable), Erik Johnson, RNH, and Yakupov. #1 overall is a chance to get a generational, franchise changing player - and the success rate in the NHL is incredibly high. Fair to say that CLB, given all the #1 overalls since 2002, could have hoped for more.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough, bust is a strong word - and he's head and shoulders above other first rounders in his draft year, which are the only fair comparisons. 2002 was not a strong year.

The #1 overall pick in the NHL has an incredible track record though. If you look at the 15 drafts after Nash came into the league, the only players he beats out, in my opinion, are M.A. Fleury (very debatable), Erik Johnson, RNH, and Yakupov. #1 overall is a chance to get a generational, franchise changing player - and the success rate in the NHL is incredibly high. Fair to say that CLB, given all the #1 overalls since 2002, could have hoped for more.

I'm not sure, I see Crosby, OV, and Kane as a class above the rest in that same time period. And it's a little bit further skewed by the fact they went in 3 out of 4 years. Then there is McDavid, an outlier as a truly generational talent.

Stamkos is interesting, because he had a real small peak of production early in his career, but past that, he's not really miles ahead of Nash.

Nash's prime is on par with Tavares. I'd put him ahead of Hall, MacKinnon, and Ekblad, as they have only really one great season under their belts each. That could clearly change as time moves on.

I think he's solidly in that middle-of-the-pack group with very good franchise-level players, but not in that generational talent level.

Reactions: C0ach B0mbay

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
this is really a great fit for rick nash. he's secondary scoring on the b's. nice luxury to have.
now put riley nash back in the lineup, and things look pretty good up front.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
I'm not sure, I see Crosby, OV, and Kane as a class above the rest in that same time period. And it's a little bit further skewed by the fact they went in 3 out of 4 years. Then there is McDavid, an outlier as a truly generational talent.

Stamkos is interesting, because he had a real small peak of production early in his career, but past that, he's not really miles ahead of Nash.

Nash's prime is on par with Tavares. I'd put him ahead of Hall, MacKinnon, and Ekblad, as they have only really one great season under their belts each. That could clearly change as time moves on.

I think he's solidly in that middle-of-the-pack group with very good franchise-level players, but not in that generational talent level.

It is a bit unfair of me to pick Nash's draft year and look forward - we do tend to overrate potential, especially in places like this, and his career is mostly behind him.

With Stamkos, I look at his deep playoff runs as important markers in his favor. I remember the feeling I had when he took the ice in the 2011 ECF. Nash doesn't have that on his resume.

Tavares is similar for me. He doesn't have the deep runs, but he's dragged the Isles to the playoffs several times in his career - and performed like a star each time.

Hall, Mac, and Ekblad are interesting ones. Ekblad is debatable, I'd agree, but I think Hall and Mac passed Nash this year. I don't think he ever had a season like they did in '17-'18.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It is a bit unfair of me to pick Nash's draft year and look forward - we do tend to overrate potential, especially in places like this, and his career is mostly behind him.

With Stamkos, I look at his deep playoff runs as important markers in his favor. I remember the feeling I had when he took the ice in the 2011 ECF. Nash doesn't have that on his resume.

Tavares is similar for me. He doesn't have the deep runs, but he's dragged the Isles to the playoffs several times in his career - and performed like a star each time.

Hall, Mac, and Ekblad are interesting ones. Ekblad is debatable, I'd agree, but I think Hall and Mac passed Nash this year. I don't think he ever had a season like they did in '17-'18.

Stamkos really has just two deep playoff runs, 2011 and 2015. He was injured in 2016. And I'd argue that run in 2015 was really Tyler Johnson and Ben Bishop that carried that team, Stamkos had just 7 goals in 26 games. Kinda like how Nash's has seen his goal production cut in half come playoff time.

I can't discount what Nash has done because he played for a fairly weak team/expansion team vs. both Stamkos and Tavares.

I think his 2003-04 season when he lead the league in goals (well tied for the lead) during the pre-lockout dead-puck era is at least on par with what Hall and MacKinnon did this year.

Like you said, can't just look past his draft year. If you look behind him, he's really better or on par with everyone selected 1st after the 1991 Lindros draft. He's better than most of them. I'd make the argument that only Thornton is ahead of him, and even that's not a huge amount, mostly based on longevity.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
Stamkos really has just two deep playoff runs, 2011 and 2015. He was injured in 2016. And I'd argue that run in 2015 was really Tyler Johnson and Ben Bishop that carried that team, Stamkos had just 7 goals in 26 games. Kinda like how Nash's has seen his goal production cut in half come playoff time.

I can't discount what Nash has done because he played for a fairly weak team/expansion team vs. both Stamkos and Tavares.

I think his 2003-04 season when he lead the league in goals (well tied for the lead) during the pre-lockout dead-puck era is at least on par with what Hall and MacKinnon did this year.

Like you said, can't just look past his draft year. If you look behind him, he's really better or on par with everyone selected 1st after the 1991 Lindros draft. He's better than most of them. I'd make the argument that only Thornton is ahead of him, and even that's not a huge amount, mostly based on longevity.

Its a good point you make when looking backwards. There really is more talent than ever pouring into the league right now - which is why all Bruins fans will be nervously watching the draft lottery this year.

All of this being said, I don't mean to drag down the Nash thread. I love what he brings to the team and the 2nd line. Could really see him being our Horton this year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its a good point you make when looking backwards. There really is more talent than ever pouring into the league right now - which is why all Bruins fans will be nervously watching the draft lottery this year.

All of this being said, I don't mean to drag down the Nash thread. I love what he brings to the team and the 2nd line. Could really see him being our Horton this year.

Hey were discussing Nash in a Nash thread, just more about the past and where he stands vs. other No.1 picks. I think were sort of in agreement really.

Also agree with I really like what he brings and how he's changed the dynamic of the 2nd line. Loved the trade at the time, like it even more now.

mobileusa

Mar 30, 2013
It just seems he's not into it at the moment. Look at his efforts last night. Weak....very weak

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Another dude who looked super old last night. I was pretty cranky though, so maybe I was jaded.

Wasn't his best game overall. Certainly not as good as he was in game 1 or productive like game 2.

But he made a heads up play and a perfect pass to Pasta early in the 3rd on the PP. If Pasta puts that in the open net instead of post, he gets an assist on the game tying 3-3 goal and who knows, maybe the Bruins win that game...

Reactions: LouJersey

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
He was a physical beast the first game,didn’t see any of that last night.

Didn't see much of that from any Bruin last night, to be fair.

My prediction is he will be heard from in a very influential way. Maybe Thursday, maybe Saturday, but I for one am going to have a ****-eating grin when it happens, after all of this talk spewing from Leaf nation about "shutting down the one-line Bruins." That second line will have their day.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

My prediction is he will be heard from in a very influential way. Maybe Thursday, maybe Saturday, but I for one am going to have a ****-eating grin when it happens, after all of this talk spewing from Leaf nation about "shutting down the one-line Bruins." That second line will have their day.
Hope your right,because they will need them ,agree there was no physical push back bye any Bruin last night really

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

If he's "to be heard from", now would be a good time.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
2nd best possession numbers for forwards on the team that game I believe

had a genuine point blank shot on Andersen. did anyone else have a shot on Andersen from the slot??

the chances are there, results will follow

Reactions: McGarnagle

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I've found him and Backes to be disasters recently. Something's gotta give.

Just want one of them to carry the play a bit. Even a few good back to back shifts. I think both may be hurt at this point.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's been good this series. I don't know what you guys are upset about, did you expect 2004 Rick Nash to show up? 2018 Rick Nash is still a pretty good player. Krejci didn't give him any help until the third period, but he was one of the few forwards who appeared to be making an effort the first two periods. He was one of the most visible forwards the first two games too. Not worried at all about him, the results will get there if he keeps up the effort.

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille