Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure how you have this position with Nash but don’t see Backes in the same light? Backes is slow enough now he’s caught with his head down at times, unlike Nash. I’m fine if either or both decide on their own health over playing more, but personally I’d be way more concerned about Bsckes if he came back.
I just don’t see it. I’m not an expert and could be wrong. Backes has value on the ice to me even though he’s probably a $4 M player at this time. I like a lot of what Backes does and don’t focus on speed as much as others - he’s not wearing snow shoes and he gets where he’s going

I can list a handful of areas I like about Backes on the ice in no particular order

1. Final minutes of game he is outstanding at getting pucks out AND controlling them at the same time - his high area board work due to:
Smarts
Toughness
Hands
Is superb

2. Accountability- the one Forward who will go after verbally or physically on an opponent who has taken liberties with a Bruins.

I’ve seen many times on faceoffs first and third at home games when I’m at he says something to opponents pre draw while guys are coming on or off and getting ready. He must do it right because they never really give him crap back and seems to have a lot of respect.

When the opponents get a little to close to Rask or physical with the young Boston defense and he’s on the ice he’s right there in their face and ready to fight.

3. Toughness - example setter and leader. Even coming back from a concussion he fought a guy who had taken a run at a teammate - he came back from having part of his colon removed in 3 weeks not 8. He came back from elbow surgery in half the time - he came back from a sliced thigh faster than normal

Many of these injuries took him off skates which curtails in ice conditioning. His injuries were double whammies and don’t lead to exactly looking mid season form when returning.

4. Hands & stick

This is his most noticeable skill to me - just elite hand and eye coordination and a great shot. I knew this from his days in St Louis especially one memorable afternoon game years ago when Boston blew a 2 goal lead in under a minute and Backes took over scoring with like .01 to tie it and the Blues won 6-5 in overtime. I walked out of that game thinking this guy is a winner. He is a legit net front presence and strong second unit player.

5. Face-offs/Flexibly - right side defensive zone late if Bergeron doesn’t take it Backes is very good here. It’s why Cassidy puts him out - he can win draws, tie up plays, control 50/50’s with his feet and win the majority of contested pucks high in the zone on along the boards during 6 on 5’s.

5. He hits and it’s pretty hard - no fly bys. He takes the body and ranked near the top of the league in forward hits per TOI. Shawn Thornton was a very good fighter, a tough player, but poor technique as a body checker. Backes is an average but willing fighter when it calls for it, a tough guy, but a very good checker - his technique is solid and how I would teach it- 99.9% not late and he gets the shoulders with good force.

6. He’s also a plus passer - very good. He doesn’t do the panic grenade pass but inevitably his decision is bang on.

We can disageee it’s actually good for business and I do and I’m sure always will consider you a very good actually outstanding hockey person.

He’s slow but he’s not a turtle and his contract seems to cloud anything positive he does to do many.

On the open market he probably gets 2/8ish just knocking it around this weekend- certainly not $6 M per

Many People make up their minds on topics and that’s it.

I think there is more to him and the Bruins who have both a Long Term and Short Term plan (2018-19) consider him an asset and next year they will reassess his value and see if and where he fits for 2019-20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad