Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Remember last month when lots of people here laughed me and others who didn't want Nash but rather wanted Thomas Vanek, instead off of the board?

Yeah, that was cool.

Vanek with CBJ: 19 games: 8 goals, 7 assists
This is taking advantage of hindsight. I’m sure everyone would pick Vanek over a concussed Nash.

That second line was gelling well when he went down. Krejci looked like a different player altogether.

I’ll wait until the playoffs to make any judgements. Hopefully he can come back and make an impact.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
This is taking advantage of hindsight. I’m sure everyone would pick Vanek over a concussed Nash.

That second line was gelling well when he went down. Krejci looked like a different player altogether.

I’ll wait until the playoffs to make any judgements. Hopefully he can come back and make an impact.
It's not hindsight; it's foresight.

I'm not looking back and lamenting having taken or not taken a given action; I'm looking back and re-validating what I advised. Being the smartest guy on this board isn't easy, but y'know, someone's gotta do it!

Okay, okay, that last sentence is just a bit of joviality to break the Leafs/Bs tension.

Going to be a series for the ages, I predict.

Reactions: easton117

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Concussed Nash or not, I still would not want Thomas Vanek on the Bruins.

It also appears Ryan Spooner is back to his inconsistent ways in NY.

His final 12 games of the season, 2 goals, 1 assist. a minus 7.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Gotta wonder why not? Vanek's a better goal scorer than Nash and a better player; same age, more durable. Was clearly the better way to go if you're serious about a Cup run. With the depth we have, Frankie V plus might have sufficed. Whatever, hope Nash can walk in a become a giant, but would be lying if I were to say I wasn't nervous...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gotta wonder why not? Vanek's a better goal scorer than Nash and a better player; same age, more durable. Was clearly the better way to go if you're serious about a Cup run. With the depth we have, Frankie V plus might have sufficed. Whatever, hope Nash can walk in a become a giant, but would be lying if I were to say I wasn't nervous...

Not a believer in Vanek, and don't believe he would of fit into Boston's system at all, nor would he of fit into their 1st PP unit, that spot needs to be a left-handed shooter.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinsNetwork

How do you figure that Vanek is not only a better goal-scorer, but also a better player than Rick Nash? Vanek is one-dimensional and has been for several years now, whereas Rick Nash has established himself as an excellent, two-way forward since he joined NYR. Nash has been a true, three-zone player in New York since he entered his prime. He has been tasked with many more assignments night-in & night-out than Vanek has.

Yet, how is Vanek a better goal-scorer than Nash? Rick Nash has 8-seasons where he recorded 30 or more goals in the NHL.

Vanek has recorded 30 or more goals in 4-seasons over his career— half as many as Rick Nash. Also, the last 30-goal season that Vanek recorded was 8-years ago whereas Nash scored 42-goals in 2014-2015.

Rick Nash is also bigger, stronger & faster than Vanek is— even at this point in their careers.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

At dinner yesterday with my brother and cousin and neither even want him tendered. They said they need to cut him loose.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
How do you figure that Vanek is not only a better goal-scorer, but also a better player than Rick Nash? Vanek is one-dimensional and has been for several years now, whereas Rick Nash has established himself as an excellent, two-way forward since he joined NYR. Nash has been a true, three-zone player in New York since he entered his prime. He has been tasked with many more assignments night-in & night-out than Vanek has.

Yet, how is Vanek a better goal-scorer than Nash? Rick Nash has 8-seasons where he recorded 30 or more goals in the NHL.

Vanek has recorded 30 or more goals in 4-seasons over his career— half as many as Rick Nash. Also, the last 30-goal season that Vanek recorded was 8-years ago whereas Nash scored 42-goals in 2014-2015.

Rick Nash is also bigger, stronger & faster than Vanek is— even at this point in their careers.

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Rick Nash is indeed a great two-way player, and his game opens up space for his linemates, whereas Thomas Vanek's game does nothing of the kind. Nash can also fill in on the PK, which is going to be HUGE in order to move some of Bergeron and Marchand's icetime from the PK to regular strength or the PP. Especially when we are staring down the barrel of a very good Toronto powerplay (and then with luck a very good Tampa powerplay thereafter), the efficacy of the Bruins PK to me is going to dictate their success in the playoffs. We don't talk about the PK nearly enough around here, but I can guarantee you that Sweeney et al had this in mind when taking a guy like Nash, while discarding a guy like Spooner and passing on the likes of Vanek. Thomas Vanek had 28 seconds of PK time in 61 games with Vancouver. It's not a coincidence that Wingels, Holden and Nash all logged significant PK time for their respective teams before being targeted by Boston.

This Toronto series reminds me of the Tampa ECF in 2011 - all I cared about was staying out of the box, and then surviving that ridiculous powerplay when the inevitable happened. And I'd like to see Rick Nash out there to help hold the fort on the PK while Marchand is resting for his next even strength shift.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
People like Vanek because he smokes the Bruins. It’s the Juan Lugo syndrome.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can't believe this is even a discussion. Rick Nash is indeed a great two-way player, and his game opens up space for his linemates, whereas Thomas Vanek's game does nothing of the kind.

Even if the individual production of Vanek vs. Nash isn't huge, Nash can drive a line and alter the dynamic of it. The Krejci line has really benefited from having a big skilled player like Nash being able to take some of the puck possession and puck handling responsibilities away from Krejci.

Thomas Vanek is and always has been a complimentary player, that doesn't mean he stinks, just that he's not the style of player whose going to drive a line.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
seen enough of nash now to realize hes a great middle of the pack depth asset. a return to 30 goal/65 point form isn't going to happen at this point but hes a big body that plays defense side well and will be an adequet second line scorer.

honestly at around 4 mill cap hit this is a guy you want on your team and I could see going 3 year deal

I can see moving a couple of the smaller left hand shot kid wingers to create the room for nash too.

he is a guy a contending team can win a cup with on the second line

filling the slots with guys that you can with...

pastranak/Bergeron/marchand check check check
nash/krejci/debrusk check check check

now who slots into the 3 available 3rd line slots?
got to figure backes has 1 spot

and 1 spot goes to a center

that leaves donato/heinen/Bjork basically battling for 1 spot and the other 2 becoming damn valuable trade chips.

its freaky amazing just how good a job Sweeney has been doing to put us in this situation with so much good depth. they might not continue the way I am projecting, but the reality is, that this is a amazingly good situation our team is putting together for us fans to enjoy

and nash is doing his part. he fits

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
seen enough of nash now to realize hes a great middle of the pack depth asset. a return to 30 goal/65 point form isn't going to happen at this point but hes a big body that plays defense side well and will be an adequet second line scorer.

honestly at around 4 mill cap hit this is a guy you want on your team and I could see going 3 year deal

I can see moving a couple of the smaller left hand shot kid wingers to create the room for nash too.

he is a guy a contending team can win a cup with on the second line

filling the slots with guys that you can with...

pastranak/Bergeron/marchand check check check
nash/krejci/debrusk check check check

now who slots into the 3 available 3rd line slots?
got to figure backes has 1 spot

and 1 spot goes to a center

that leaves donato/heinen/Bjork basically battling for 1 spot and the other 2 becoming damn valuable trade chips.

its freaky amazing just how good a job Sweeney has been doing to put us in this situation with so much good depth. they might not continue the way I am projecting, but the reality is, that this is a amazingly good situation our team is putting together for us fans to enjoy

and nash is doing his part. he fits

I like Nash, (both Nash's actually), but there's no chance in hell I'm trading any of Donato/Heinen/Bjork just to keep him, and those guys deserve line-up spots next year. I'll take ascending players over a descending player every day of the week.

In response to the bold, you probably can't afford to keep him 3 years, even if you do trade one of the young guys. It's the same issue with Riley Nash. We'll have to make that sacrifice for the betterment of the team a few years down the line.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Nash gives the Bruins a big matchup advantage over other second lines. It's funny but he's had a great two games but only the goal, which hopefully makes many here see you can't judge his game only by the stat line.

He's so damn hard to knock off the puck. He skated circles around three or four Leafs in the OZ during game one and has been a pain in their ass in front of their net. I'm really happy we have Rick.

Reactions: Chief Nine

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Good to see Rick get on the board. That's the type of goal he is well capable of scoring - tap-ins around the net. Don't expect him to snipe any or put the finishing touch on the scoring chances he creates. He is really lacking in those departments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino