Richards

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Didn't know where to post this.

Apparently Columbus had the chance to acquire both Carter and Richards. Whoa. :amazed:

Sources have told The Dispatch that the blockbuster trade swung between the Blue Jackets and Flyers on June 23, 2011, could have been much larger in scope, perhaps in a way that would have assuaged Carter’s feelings toward playing for the Blue Jackets.

After weeks of haggling between Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and then-Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson – did the Jackets want Carter or Mike Richards? would the Jackets include a prospect, first-round pick, and maybe another decent pick? – the two sides began to narrow in on a deal that would send promising left wing Jake Voracek, a first-round pick, and a third-round pick to the Flyers for the veteran Carter.

Holmgren hemmed and hawed for a few days until GMs began showing up in St. Paul and Minneapolis for the draft.

Holmgren called Howson the day before the draft in the morning to tell him he was ready to make the move, but not before he dropped a bombshell on Howson’s lap, one that staggered him and forced him to sit down:

“You want ‘em both?†Holmgren asked Howson, meaning Carter (ital) and (end) Richards.

At that time, the Flyers were known to be actively pursuing trades – The Dispatch reported the possibility of a Voracek-for-Carter trade a week or so before it came to fruition – but nobody expected Holmgren to “blow up†his roster by trading both players.

Carter had scored 144 goals the previous four seasons. Richards had scored 112 in that span, making them two of the NHL’s brightest stars.

Howson, who declined comment when reached by The Dispatch earlier this week, told Holmgren there was no way he could make a play for both Carter and Richards without seriously depleting the Blue Jackets’ of prospects and picks.
It’s anyone’s guess if being traded with Richards would have changed Carter’s attitude about playing for the Blue Jackets or in Columbus.
Maybe the Blue Jackets win more games, Carter falls in love with Jeni’s ice cream and Rick Nash decides he wants to remain a Blue Jacket for life. Maybe the Los Angeles Kings – who ended up with both of them – don’t win the Stanley Cup later that season.
It’s always interesting to see what these trades look like when you get only a couple years down the road.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/12/you-want-em-both.html

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah, well, we got them both. So there's that!

And we certainly wouldn't have won a Cup. Probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
All that does is remind me of what a crappy GM Howson was. Even if the trade is Johansen, Voracek, and two 1sts for Carter/Richards, you do that trade. That solidifies your top two centers for years, with a likely dynamite combo of Nash and Richards on one line.

It reminds me of that rumored trade in which Dean tried to acquire both Carter AND Nash from CBJ, which would have sent Brown, Johnson, 1st, and Vey the other way.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
All that does is remind me of what a crappy GM Howson was. Even if the trade is Johansen, Voracek, and two 1sts for Carter/Richards, you do that trade. That solidifies your top two centers for years, with a likely dynamite combo of Nash and Richards on one line.

It reminds me of that rumored trade in which Dean tried to acquire both Carter AND Nash from CBJ, which would have sent Brown, Johnson, 1st, and Vey the other way.

Howson was trash.

And I would have done that second trade without hesitating.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
You realize this is stupid to even discuss as possible? As the article says, it'd gut the Jackets to trade for both. Homer simply asked as it was clear Snyder wanted both gone. Richards was moving. Homer just wanted to see if he could get an offer to beat the Kings offer.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This also reminds me how Paul Holmgren is a special general manager. I've seen fantasy hockey GMs who are less trigger happy and more sensible than he is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You realize this is stupid to even discuss as possible? As the article says, it'd gut the Jackets to trade for both. Homer simply asked as it was clear Snyder wanted both gone. Richards was moving. Homer just wanted to see if he could get an offer to beat the Kings offer.

Apparently the Leafs were also trying to get Richards, though I seem to recall that there was an opportunity for the Leafs to get one of Richards or Carter (don't believe both were a possibility).

I wonder what Richards and/or Carter did for Snider to want them gone. Did they knock up his granddaughter?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I ****ing hate Ed Snider. That said I gotta give him some credit. I've very much enjoyed being a Kings fan over watching his **** show of a team the past couple of years.

But, ugh, this means I had a chance of becoming a Blue Jackets fan :p

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I ****ing hate Ed Snider. That said I gotta give him some credit. I've very much enjoyed being a Kings fan over watching his **** show of a team the past couple of years.

But, ugh, this means I had a chance of becoming a Blue Jackets fan :p

I just ate, don't make me throw up.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Howson was trash.

And I would have done that second trade without hesitating.

There was a poster on LGK at the time (haven't seen him in years) who seemed to have legitimate connections. He posted a lot during the Doughty hold out with a lot of info that turned out to be accurate. He was also one of the first to claim Nash was available that year before it actually broke.

Apparently Dustin Brown was never really "available" at the 2012 deadline except in this trade (Buffalo made overtures about Brown, but Dean never really considered anything they offered). Dean was desperate and looking for a big overhaul to the forward corps. The Carter to LA concept was already a sure thing, but Dean tried to get Nash, too. That's the only time he legitimately offered Brown (Brown, Johnson, 1st). Howson wanted another first rounder and one of Toffoli/Vey and that's when Dean backed way off and just went after Carter.

I could be paraphrasing that wrong, but that was the gist of what was reported.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
There was a poster on LGK at the time (haven't seen him in years) who seemed to have legitimate connections. He posted a lot during the Doughty hold out with a lot of info that turned out to be accurate. He was also one of the first to claim Nash was available that year before it actually broke.

Apparently Dustin Brown was never really "available" at the 2012 deadline except in this trade (Buffalo made overtures about Brown, but Dean never really considered anything they offered). Dean was desperate and looking for a big overhaul to the forward corps. The Carter to LA concept was already a sure thing, but Dean tried to get Nash, too. That's the only time he legitimately offered Brown (Brown, Johnson, 1st). Howson wanted another first rounder and one of Toffoli/Vey and that's when Dean backed way off and just went after Carter.

I would have traded Brown, Johnson, a 1st, and Vey, but not another first. That trade would have addressed our only lingering concern - an elite left winger for Kopitar; and Kopitar would have been our Captain.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Mike Richards would not have been a Bluejacket. No way Dean wouldn't have upped the ante. He said the day of the trade that Homer called him '5 weeks ago' (which would have been mid may, just after the flyers season ended) and offered Richards and DL said he told homer 'It wasn't a matter of yes or no, it was what do you want for him," he went to say 'because he's that special" MR was a player (as he told TSN radio post trade) he's coveted since Juniors and even more so when he worked in Philly. From interviews I've read with him since, MR might be his favorite player in the league, he thinks that much of him.

I don't put much stock in invisible sources and what is the point of bringing that out now???

The few comments I've read on the BJ's board regarding this , they are glad Howson didn't bite, they didn't see how that would have helped them.
For me, I can't see how having Richards and Carter there wouldn't have helped them . Richards centering and Nash, given how well Nash and Richards played together at the Olympics, Carter centering the 2nd line giving them two solid scoring lies with 2 way players. And Richards leadership, I can't see how it wouldn't have helped them grow as a team. But to each his own.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

He was wise to do it. Carter turned out to be the cheaper trade option, Nash was just too much to give up for one guy, The original rumor of Brown being on the block, which turned out to be false , was started by a couple of scouts at a Kings game just throwing names around.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Richards and Carter would have been almost entirely on their own in Columbus following that trade, they would have needed to lead the charge to a brighter future themselves, which isn't to say they couldn't have done it, its just much harder than the situation they arrived at in LA. We had much greater depth in quality to plug those guys in as final pieces. I understand why Howson, in his particular situation, backed off.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Richards and Carter would have been almost entirely on their own in Columbus following that trade, they would have needed to lead the charge to a brighter future themselves, which isn't to say they couldn't have done it, its just much harder than the situation they arrived at in LA. We had much greater depth in quality to plug those guys in as final pieces. I understand why Howson, in his particular situation, backed off.

I don't think it would've been immediate but I think they could've turned it around. Carter wasn't that into rebuilding on his own in Columbus and he had injuries that season, too. But with the both of them to build around, with Nash and later Bobrovsky, I think they could've possibly been contenders.

Did you believe that the Kings could plug in Carter and Richards in 2012 and the Kings would immediately win a Stanley Cup? You take a team with talent and you add guys who know how to win in big situations. It's contagious. There's a reason why Lombardi didn't blink when he was offered them.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Mike Richards would not have been a Bluejacket. No way Dean wouldn't have upped the ante. He said the day of the trade that Homer called him '5 weeks ago' (which would have been mid may, just after the flyers season ended) and offered Richards and DL said he told homer 'It wasn't a matter of yes or no, it was what do you want for him," he went to say 'because he's that special" MR was a player (as he told TSN radio post trade) he's coveted since Juniors and even more so when he worked in Philly. From interviews I've read with him since, MR might be his favorite player in the league, he thinks that much of him.

I don't put much stock in invisible sources and what is the point of bringing that out now???

The few comments I've read on the BJ's board regarding this , they are glad Howson didn't bite, they didn't see how that would have helped them.
For me, I can't see how having Richards and Carter there wouldn't have helped them . Richards centering and Nash, given how well Nash and Richards played together at the Olympics, Carter centering the 2nd line giving them two solid scoring lies with 2 way players. And Richards leadership, I can't see how it wouldn't have helped them grow as a team. But to each his own.

Wow, really? That would have INSTANTLY helped them.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Not surprising...

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Interestingly, there is a Richards thread on the Flyers' board, too. I guess they watched the game last night.

i bet, this was trade 1a for the kings, 1b was getting carter, great going by deano, i'd do both again in a heartbeat,

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The Kitchener Rangers' Hall of Fame has a Richards exhibit right now. I thought you guys might like to see a little. (I'd kill for a few of these items).

1512856_10202127184652634_1911958669_n.jpg

1511144_10202127184852639_8621959_n.jpg

LOL - I think his paycheque is a little better now (in case it's not clear... it's a cheque for $50):

1551510_10202127186252674_1420198250_n.jpg

1510878_10202127186972692_1728530391_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad