Richards

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Did everyone catch Richards' pick-pocket of Tyler Ennis that lead to the game-tying goal last night? The guy just makes every little play.

Personally, I don't want to see him throwing his body around as much. I'd rather see him stay healthy for an entire season.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Did everyone catch Richards' pick-pocket of Tyler Ennis that lead to the game-tying goal last night? The guy just makes every little play.

Personally, I don't want to see him throwing his body around as much. I'd rather see him stay healthy for an entire season.

The 2nd line has been really good. They don't give up on the play. They are playing like how the 1st line should be playing.

And yeah, as much as I'd love to see Richie hitting and fighting again, it's not worth it. 1, it could lead to a penalty which takes him off the ice and 2, it could lead to another concussion which I never want to see for him again. This version of Richards is just fine for me.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
"It's tough just getting familiar with who you are playing with — I think Toffoli's done a really good job, having a similar game to Jeff, just a little bit different," Richards said. "We've been doing a pretty good job of communication, making sure that we talk on the ice and when we get back to the bench. Knowing what each other are thinking on different plays."

"He's just a natural goal scorer," Richards said of Toffoli. "He's kind of like Carts where he puts himself in the right situations and seems to find open space in their zone. I think he's getting more comfortable where at first he's a little bit quiet on the ice, which was tough to play with. Now he's starting to talk a lot more; now it's not just a one-way conversation."

Sounds like Carts is getting replaced. :sarcasm:

Richards and Toffoli new bromance?; Carter devasted

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Rick is easily my favorite King since Luc retired. I know he's not home grown and the Kings got him after his scoring prime, but this team doesn't get past the first round vs Vancouver two years ago without him. He taught them what it takes to win playoff series, and you can't put a price on that in terms of contract dollars or players that went the other way. He is priceless to this franchise. Lucky for us fans he's looking like he still has plenty in the tank. I'm grateful, because the last guy I felt gave the team what Richards does (Deader #28) had to retire early.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's tough just getting familiar with who you are playing with — I think Toffoli's done a really good job, having a similar game to Jeff, just a little bit different," Richards said. "We've been doing a pretty good job of communication, making sure that we talk on the ice and when we get back to the bench. Knowing what each other are thinking on different plays."

"He's just a natural goal scorer," Richards said of Toffoli. "He's kind of like Carts where he puts himself in the right situations and seems to find open space in their zone. I think he's getting more comfortable where at first he's a little bit quiet on the ice, which was tough to play with. Now he's starting to talk a lot more; now it's not just a one-way conversation."

Sounds like Carts is getting replaced. :sarcasm:

Richards and Toffoli new bromance?; Carter devasted

He is always talking/communicating. Whether it's to a ref (and when Kerry Fraser retired he mentioned he'd miss his chats with Richie, who he is a huge fan of) a linemate or a D. Prior to faceoffs, esp on a PK or PP, he's directing. And he is always pointing things out to the linemates, esp the young guys. how many time dothey show him on the bench and he's talking and pointing to something on the ice? When Stevens was coaching Philly, he said Richie was like a General out there, always in charge.
And I think he's a good mentor for Toffoli.

Last edited:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
He is always talking/communicating. Whether it's to a ref (and when Kerry Fraser retired he mentioned he'd miss his chats with Richie, who he is a huge fan of) a linemate or a D. Prior to faceoffs, esp on a PK or PP, he's directing. And he is always pointing things out to the linemates, esp the young guys. how many time dothey show him on the bench and he's talking and pointing to something on the ice? When Stevens was coaching Philly, he said Richie was like a General out there, always in charge.
And I think he's a good mentor for Toffoli.

So true. I found it funny he called it a one way conversation for awhile with Toffoli. Well if someone would shut his mouth for two seconds maybe the poor kid get a word in :sarcasm:

I'm just kidding. Never change, Mike. :laugh:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Asked the main boards to see what they think of the idea of Richards on team Canada. Curious how that will be received.

If he continues playing at the same pace and taking his past success in the olympics in 2010, it's hard to keep him off the list. Plus, you guys are gonna want him to go. The last time he came back from the Olympics, he was a man possessed, and that eventually led to the insane 2010 Flyers run.

LAX attack*

Richards is 18th in Canadian scoring which I think is rather favorable for his chances. There has to be at least 5-6 other forwards who are similar offensively but lack the complete game.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If he continues playing at the same pace and taking his past success in the olympics in 2010, it's hard to keep him off the list. Plus, you guys are gonna want him to go. The last time he came back from the Olympics, he was a man possessed, and that eventually led to the insane 2010 Flyers run.

The thread was moved from the main boards to the International page.

And if he's healthy, he's a lock for the 4th line. He's been solid in all 3 zones from game 1 onward, and his checking has been impressive, sniping pucks left and right in the offensive zone. He's been clutch in critical game situations. I'm sure the scouting reports going back to Yzerman are positive in that regard.
And Babcock loves him, one of his favorite players. Called Ricahrds 'a gold plated Swiss Army knife that makes the right decision 9 times out of 10' adding ' that's something you can't coach'.

And you're right about his post 2010 games play, that first game back against the Bolts, he was all world, put up 5 points, skating with thunder , possessed almost. It gave him a hunger of sorts that fueled him right thru the playoffs until the 7 games vs Chara and the beating he took physically by never giving an inch of boards or net took a toll which affected him in the finals. in this Bio segment from the 2010 finals from the CBC , his coach and teammates talk about what makes him so special. At the 1:37 mark the Olympics comes up, both Lappy and Gagne mention the change in him afterwards. And Gagne remembers that same game I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H88VIBnvFok&feature=related

ANd you can't put a price on his kind of leadership.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
That thread was moved, then closed.

Hilarious that that JTown guy just refuses to admit that Richards is still good. He's not the PK'er he once was... apparently. Richards is still one of the most feared PK'ers in the league, and opposing teams change their PP strategy when he's on the ice. They don't pass to the point when he's there nearly as often as they did when he first came to the NHL - they've learned that it's a mistake.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
That thread was moved, then closed.

Hilarious that that JTown guy just refuses to admit that Richards is still good. He's not the PK'er he once was... apparently. Richards is still one of the most feared PK'ers in the league, and opposing teams change their PP strategy when he's on the ice. They don't pass to the point when he's there nearly as often as they did when he first came to the NHL - they've learned that it's a mistake.

I don't understand why it was closed down. :(

That comment by JTown made me chuckle.

Captain Mittens*

He's just too much man.

Hfboards can't handle Mike Richards or Arnold

tumblr_m9l6oybM7B1qm6joao1_500.jpg

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Thank God they didn't mention Carter. The boards may have melt down from all the manliness
wpt0.jpg

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Yeah, this man isn't fit to be a Flyer. Or a captain.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...iroux-settle-down/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

A text from Mike Richards helped Claude Giroux settle down

When Claude Giroux started this season without scoring a goal in his first 15 games, things got a bit stressful for the Philadelphia Flyers captain.

What helped settle him down? A few words from an old friend as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shares.

“It wasn’t going right, and I got a nice text from Mike Richards. … I think he gave me a boost to relax and play the game,†Giroux told NHL.com on Tuesday prior to playing the Ottawa Senators at Wells Fargo Center. “It’s a great game. There’s a reason why we play in the NHL. It’s because we know what we’re doing. It’s just about going back to basics, going out there, have fun, play the game.â€

Richards was a teammate of Giroux’s in Philadelphia before he was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. So how has he done since getting Richards’ text? Not bad. Two goals and three assists and the Flyers have won four out of their last five games.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Nice...thanks for sharing that. And that should surprise noone that Richards reached out to Giroux and helped him. There's a reason that he's such a 'great teammate', liked and respected by everybody that he's played with. That's also one of the things that makes him a great leader, that's not something you learn, you either have it or you don't.
And when Giroux got that C, Richards was the player he said was to him, what personified a Captain.

He's just a good guy, I remember him defending Nodl when the media was criticizing him during his 20 game goalless slump, Nodl was upset and Richards not only worked extra time in pratice with him, but he defended him to the critics who were riding a young player put into a situation that he wasn't suited for.

Kings are so lucky to have him.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So the reason the Flyers have gotten a boost and Giroux has started scoring again was because of Richards? Damn you, Richie and your kindness. I was enjoying watching the Flyers suffer :laugh:

Additonal info from Giroux.

Giroux couldn't remember exactly when he got that text from Richards, the former Flyers captain who is now playing for the Los Angeles Kings. He said it was a couple of weeks ago, well before he scored his first goal of the season against the Edmonton Oilers on Nov. 9.

He also wouldn't reveal what Richards wrote in that text message, but it was enough to lift Giroux's spirits and get him pointed in the right direction.

"It's easy for people to be like, 'Just go and score a goal,'" Giroux said. "To hear it [from Richards], it kind of made me just relax and think about how I'm lucky enough to play this game for a living. I'm in one of the great organizations and we have fans that cheer their heart out. Just looking at the position I'm in now, I feel really lucky, and it just makes me more motivated to play better."

Sure, it helps that the Flyers have started to win a few games, but for Giroux, the credit for his attitude adjustment goes to Richards, one of the few guys in the world who could feel his pain.

"I talk to him once in a while, but yeah, obviously he played here; he was captain," Giroux said. "It was nice for him to reach out and talk to me a little bit."

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
JTown is pretty clueless. I've seen his comments before about Richie being a shell of what he was. Other Flyer fans have made similar comments but I think he will make Team Canada. Babcock knows exactly what he can do and Julien coached the Bruins when the Flyers came back from 0-3 down to win the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad