Richards

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

Here you go. And my favorite part of this play isn't actually the hit, but afterwards when Burrows tries to shove Richie and he just shoves Burrows to the ice again.

Yep - but my favourite part is seeing the entire Canucks bench jump back when Richie made contact. Apparently they thought it was an earthquake or something.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Haha and this one just cause its funny
2-ryan-kesler-dive-hockey-dive-gifs.gif

Really the cocaine made him look stupid. You got nailed and shoved down by a guy and the only thing you've got left is a joke some drunk flyers fan would come up with. I believe I will score that a -10 for you, sir.

HolyShot*

You seem very narrow-minded.

Just because Simmer and Schenn are on a bad team, doesn't make their characters less great than those on a great team.

It's funny. Most flyers fans wouldn't trade back Simmer, Schenn and a 2nd for Richards and I"m sure most kings would agree. That to me sounds like a win/win situation.

I think a lot of flyer fans would take that trade back. I think schenn isn't all that he was hyped up as and simmer is a 2nd line forward at best.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Really the cocaine made him look stupid. You got nailed and shoved down by a guy and the only thing you've got left is a joke some drunk flyers fan would come up with. I believe I will score that a -10 for you, sir.

23wk2fc.jpg.gif

keslerboatjumpsmall.gif

34fz7yh.gif

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks for the you tube clips, that was a fun trip down memory lane!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Thanks for the you tube clips, that was a fun trip down memory lane!

I probably shouldn't post this cause it's embarrassing, but this is a thread about Richards and we are posting old videos of him sooooo...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers these awful commercials from Philly :laugh:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I probably shouldn't post this cause it's embarrassing, but this is a thread about Richards and we are posting old videos of him sooooo...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers these awful commercials from Philly :laugh:

Man, I miss those. I wonder if Morganti has all those tricky abbreviations down yet.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Sad to say, I remember them, (and there ws more that one) . Morganti has no excuse, he's on TV /radio for a living.

Richards was asked at the end of his first year in LA if he'd been approached (he's got a couple of friends who either produce (it's always sunny in phila) or act (Bones/Dave Boreanz) to do a cameo on a tv show. He told the reporter that if he'd seen the BMW commercials, he wouldn't have to ask that question.
Even if Philly, esp from his teammates, he got teased about them.

I did like his commerical wit Ovie for Verizon pre winter classic 2010 (Flyers and Caps in the airport terminal) where the two teams are sitting next to each other and Ovie looks over at him and Richie just givea a hard glare (no talking) challenging Ovie and the two teams head outside and play hockey under the airplane wing.

Given that he's pretty good friends with Dave Boreanz, I really thought he'd do a walk on. Boreanz was on NHL Live about 10 days or so ago and they were talking hockey (he's a huge flyes fan) and he mentioned that trading Richards was a mistake, which is something he tweeted the dayof the trade he was really angry. Richards said he called Dave Boreanz that day and told him he'd be playing for the Kings that year and Boreanz laughed, thinking it was a joke but MR wasn't kidding and he said Boreanz was shocked.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008
The Richards on Burrows hit played a big part in setting the tone for what the Kings were about that spring.

In terms of diving though, the little push from Mitchell on Kesler, that resulted in Kesler ****ing the boards and the proceeding to move to the bencj trying to find out if his body is still in order, is one of the worse soccer plays I've ever seen in the NHL.

You see people dive and embellish during a play, but that specific sequence involved some serious south European skills.

reading on these boards, apparently the Canucks quit diving after 2011, but judging the way they flew around the ice 2012, that is not correct n any way.

And no, Brown is not an excuse for what they're doing.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Yep - but my favourite part is seeing the entire Canucks bench jump back when Richie made contact. Apparently they thought it was an earthquake or something.

I love that reaction...that hit terrified the whole lot of them and they did the wave.

Richards can have a real annoying effect on opposing teams in the playoffs, like in 2011 when the Sabres series started and despite playing with a torn up wrst and pneumonia, he identified Miller as the weak link and from shift 1, pestered him, chased him right behind the net when Miller was back there tyring to get the puck and checked him. Then he stood right in front of Miller in the crease and ran his mouth to the point where Miller cross checked him nad got a penalty. Richards kept at it and yapped that the Sabres were getting away with murder , which MIller got angry at. This 12 second video, he accuses MR of being a mass murderer and has a bit of demented glare in his eye.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0F9_pugHA

Last edited:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

That gif...

tumblr_mw4ebx5CWq1rw0sbuo6_250.gif

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Sad to say, I remember them, (and there ws more that one) . Morganti has no excuse, he's on TV /radio for a living.

Richards was asked at the end of his first year in LA if he'd been approached (he's got a couple of friends who either produce (it's always sunny in phila) or act (Bones/Dave Boreanz) to do a cameo on a tv show. He told the reporter that if he'd seen the BMW commercials, he wouldn't have to ask that question.
Even if Philly, esp from his teammates, he got teased about them.

I did like his commerical wit Ovie for Verizon pre winter classic 2010 (Flyers and Caps in the airport terminal) where the two teams are sitting next to each other and Ovie looks over at him and Richie just givea a hard glare (no talking) challenging Ovie and the two teams head outside and play hockey under the airplane wing.

Given that he's pretty good friends with Dave Boreanz, I really thought he'd do a walk on. Boreanz was on NHL Live about 10 days or so ago and they were talking hockey (he's a huge flyes fan) and he mentioned that trading Richards was a mistake, which is something he tweeted the dayof the trade he was really angry. Richards said he called Dave Boreanz that day and told him he'd be playing for the Kings that year and Boreanz laughed, thinking it was a joke but MR wasn't kidding and he said Boreanz was shocked.

That commercial is legitimately the best one out of all the ones he did. They were so bad. And I remember that Verizon one but it's hard to count it because he didn't say a word. I suppose it could be worse, you could have Carter, who just laughs and smiles awkwardly every time he's in front of a camera.

Richie should try acting again though, I actually think he's improved since coming to LA. That Funny or Die skit with the rapping will always make me laugh.

Clown Baby*

I love that reaction...that hit terrified the whole lot of them and they did the wave.

Richards can have a real annoying effect on opposing teams in the playoffs, like in 2011 when the Sabres series started and despite playing with a torn up wrst and pneumonia, he identified Miller as the weak link and from shift 1, pestered him, chased him right behind the net when Miller was back there tyring to get the puck and checked him. Then he stood right in front of Miller in the crease and ran his mouth to the point where Miller cross checked him nad got a penalty. Richards kept at it and yapped that the Sabres were getting away with murder , which MIller got angry at. This 12 second video, he accuses MR of being a mass murderer and has a bit of demented glare in his eye.\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0F9_pugHA
Richards is a lot like Scott Stevens in that he didn't just change games. He changed series (or at least tried his damndest.) That's probably what I loved most about him.

2008: Keep in mind Malkin came in to Philadelphia with 15 points through 9 games. Richards scored 2 goals in period 1, game 1, doing what he can to keep this team competitive; Malkin matches that production with a goal and an assist. While we have the man-advantage, Malkin is sprung for a short-handed chance which Biron stops. Richards proceeds takes full-advantage of a prone Malkin, who was standing off-balance, and absolutely buries him into the boards. Malkin scored on a second opportunity, but you could tell Richards just solved our problem. Of the remaining 4 games, Malkin finishes with all of 2 goals (no assists.) The very next series, Malkin finishes with 1 goal and 2 assists (through 7 games). He was a ghost.

2009: All Richards did was lead the team in scoring while playing with two separated shoulders. No heroics here.

2010: This was a fun one. At the time, Boston had the perfect one-two punch down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron. I'm not even ashamed to say it. Their pair were better all-around players than Richards and Carter, and the advantage gets a little more obvious when you have to shield Briere at even-strength. So, Richards did what he does early in game 2, lines up Krejci, and hits him with a center-ice hit so well-timed it broke Krejci's wrist. Took him completely out of the series. Literally.

2011: At this point, it's a given. With the series tied 2-2, Richards goes full on beast-mode, and gives the Flyers another slight advantage when he aggressively takes Connolly into the boards. It didn't look pretty. And, to be entirely honest, it probably didn't help Connolly's concussion history at all. Still, the Flyers came away with 2 of the next 3, and moved on. (I completely forgot about him putting an elbow into Kaleta.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Richards is a lot like Scott Stevens in that he didn't just change games. He changed series (or at least tried his damndest.) That's probably what I loved most about him.

2008: Keep in mind Malkin came in to Philadelphia with 15 points through 9 games. Richards scored 2 goals in period 1, game 1, doing what he can to keep this team competitive; Malkin matches that production with a goal and an assist. While we have the man-advantage, Malkin is sprung for a short-handed chance which Biron stops. Richards proceeds takes full-advantage of a prone Malkin, who was standing off-balance, and absolutely buries him into the boards. Malkin scored on a second opportunity, but you could tell Richards just solved our problem. Of the remaining 4 games, Malkin finishes with all of 2 goals (no assists.) The very next series, Malkin finishes with 1 goal and 2 assists (through 7 games). He was a ghost.

2009: All Richards did was lead the team in scoring while playing with two separated shoulders. No heroics here.

2010: This was a fun one. At the time, Boston had the perfect one-two punch down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron. I'm not even ashamed to say it. Their pair were better all-around players than Richards and Carter, and the advantage gets a little more obvious when you have to shield Briere at even-strength. So, Richards did what he does early in game 2, lines up Krejci, and hits him with a center-ice hit so well-timed it broke Krejci's wrist. Took him completely out of the series. Literally.

2011: At this point, it's a given. With the series tied 2-2, Richards goes full on beast-mode, and gives the Flyers another slight advantage when he aggressively takes Connolly into the boards. It didn't look pretty. And, to be entirely honest, it probably didn't help Connolly's concussion history at all. Still, the Flyers came away with 2 of the next 3, and moved on.

Excellent post.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Really awesome post, Clown Baby. I agree with everything you said.

For whatever reason, this is the moment Mike became my favorite player. Nothing to special, but I could just tell he was something really special after this in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4ouw9hj7ihY#t=208

He was great in that series right thru to OT in game 7 and he shadowed Ovie to the point of distraction. Young player, 3rd year in the NHL and his first true test playoff wise and he showed the roots of what has grown into a tried and true playoff warrior.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He was great in that series right thru to OT in game 7 and he shadowed Ovie to the point of distraction. Young player, 3rd year in the NHL and his first true test playoff wise and he showed the roots of what has grown into a tried and true playoff warrior.

I thought you were talking about Randy Jones for a second :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad