Value of: RHD Justin Barron

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
3rd before you lose him to waivers

Harris*, Barron*, Guhle, Matheson*, Kovacevic*, Struble, Xhekaj, Savard*, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson. Can only roster so many

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
even if Barron doesnt work out it was a good trade for MTL we were about to start our rebuild and had no need for Lehkonen and Barron was still viewed as a good prospect with potentiel plus we received a 2nd
What? There is a debate which team won the Avs vs Habs trade here?

That's hilarious. Lehkoken is an excellent PK player and 2nd line winger that continually scores huge goals. He's an excellent player and I'd gladly trade a 1st round pick for him today. 1st round pick+

Habs got a bust in Barron and low 2nd round pick in a so-so draft.

Avs won this trade in a landslide.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

That's hilarious. Lehkoken is an excellent PK player and 2nd line winger that continually scores huge goals. He's an excellent player and I'd gladly trade a 1st round pick for him today. 1st round pick+

Hindsight. Important word to understand.

At the time of the deal, Barron was a D2 prospect, recent first round pick who was successfully graduated to the AHL...

Very much worth a late 1st... Plus a 2nd. Win win at the time, and despite the ludicrous premature "bust" label...

Of the 2020 class, he's 2nd in goals by a dman & 5th in games played.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
3rd before you lose him to waivers

Harris*, Barron*, Guhle, Matheson*, Kovacevic*, Struble, Xhekaj, Savard*, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson. Can only roster so many
In a year and a bit, waivers will start to be a concern. But we aren't there yet. Habs will carry 8 D if needed and leave others to dominate in the AHL.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Ha. Would be interesting to know if the Avs mgt viewed him as highly in 2022 as when they drafted him in 2020.

Reactions: McJedi

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
This is childish. Trades aren't a zero-sum game.

How well Barron does has no impact on how well Colorado did with this deal.
I seem to have recalled a shit ton of MTL posters we got a first for monohan we told you going on…

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You did in a vacuum, no shame to admit it. Happy for Lehkonen who's beloved in Montréal.

But what's funny is that the majority of Avs fans (and people on that forum at large) thought that Lehkonen wasn't good enough when the trade was made and then, you won the cup in part because of him. So it was in the end just another instance of a Habs player underated on HFBoards, even if supposedly, every Habs fans overate the value of their players.

Many Habs fans would complain about Lehkonen and how he would flub scoring opportunitities. This is disingenuous to say others were devaluing him when Habs fans were devaluing themselves. And now its talk out of both sides of the mouth in order to play the victim card.

It wasn’t a surprise to Avs fans that they acquired him. He had good analytics and the Avs were linked to him for awhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

he might bust not a fan of his progress atm but at the time he was viewed as a good prospect

Upon learning of the trade, Crosby said, 'I never would have done this if I were the Avalanche. This kid here, he's a real hockey player. He's ready to play in the NHL and he's going to be a good player." - Sidney Crosby

If Barron doesnt work out for us oh well it could happen with any prospect even the player we would of drafted with that 1st round pick but we all liked the trade at the time so i wont blame Hughes over it

Reactions: Hins77

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
A couple months ago the idea of Lucius for Barron was tossed around. Neither player is exceptionally exciting but both have some upside remaining
Don’t know if I’d be willing to give Lucius for him, but I haven’t been keeping up on the prospects of late, so I’d leave this option to other Jets fans to accept or not.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Don’t know if I’d be willing to give Lucius for him, but I haven’t been keeping up on the prospects of late, so I’d leave this option to other Jets fans to accept or not.
At this point I'd probably add a late pick as a sweetener but I don't think there's really a next guy up after Lucius in the Jets system that would make sense for Barron

Reactions: CanMerc

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
he might bust not a fan of his progress atm but at the time he was viewed as a good prospect

Upon learning of the trade, Crosby said, 'I never would have done this if I were the Avalanche. This kid here, he's a real hockey player. He's ready to play in the NHL and he's going to be a good player." - Sidney Crosby

If Barron doesnt work out for us oh well it could happen with any prospect even the player we would of drafted with that 1st round pick but we all liked the trade at the time so i wont blame Hughes over it
Wasn't a bad trade at the time.

Win some and lose some. That's how the job of a GM works.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I feel like he's going to have a Cody Ceci-esque career. Comes into the league expected to be an offensive D but just doesn't really have it at the NHL level and settles into more of a 3rd pair defensive guy

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Justin Barron is still a really good player despite seeing time in the AHL this year. And those who say we should trade him soon, or that he has no value both have no patience (22 is still really young for defensemen) and/or overrate how NHL-ready Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher really are.

The fact of the matter is that Barron is a victim of the numbers game in Montreal with every defenseman on the roster being healthy for the first time in years, and other D like Harris and Kovasevic (that have both seen less icetime while being worse than he has this year AND show less future promise) requiring waivers to be sent down.

Since Barron does not require waivers for a while yet I fully expect the team to be content to stack the D in Laval to end the season. And next year, if they don't have many injuries on D or trade some of their surplus defensemen (Savard, Harris, Kovasevic) by then, I think they will again stack D for the Rocket.

Taken on his own, Barron does needs to shore-up on his decision-making in both ends, and become more aggressive/assertive when it comes to puck battles. But he still has a pretty strong set of tools to work with and could develop into a good puck-possessing type of #4-#5 defenseman in the NHL with just a bit more patience and growth to his game.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I feel like he's going to have a Cody Ceci-esque career. Comes into the league expected to be an offensive D but just doesn't really have it at the NHL level and settles into more of a 3rd pair defensive guy
Except his development suggest he is terrible defensively and only good offensively. So i think he can be more like a poor man's matheson.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Justin Barron is still a really good player despite seeing time in the AHL this year. And those who say we should trade him soon, or that he has no value both have no patience (22 is still really young for defensemen) and/or overrate how NHL-ready Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher really are.

The fact of the matter is that Barron is a victim of the numbers game in Montreal with every defenseman on the roster being healthy for the first time in years, and other D like Harris and Kovasevic (that have both seen less icetime while being worse than he has this year AND show less future promise) requiring waivers to be sent down.

Since Barron does not require waivers for a while yet I fully expect the team to be content to stack the D in Laval to end the season. And next year, if they don't have many injuries on D or trade some of their surplus defensemen (Savard, Harris, Kovasevic) by then, I think they will again stack D for the Rocket.

Taken on his own, Barron does needs to shore-up on his decision-making in both ends, and become more aggressive/assertive when it comes to puck battles. But he still has a pretty strong set of tools to work with and could develop into a good puck-possessing type of #4-#5 defenseman in the NHL with just a bit more patience and growth to his game.

Problem for Barron is that he's being squeezed out. Next season the Habs RD should be Guhle, Savard and one of Kovasevic or Harris. Unlikely he'll steal the job of one of them and he'll have to return to Laval. There he'll most likely play behind Mailloux and Reinbacher.... So getting 3e pair time in the AHL wont be "ideal" for his development.

So for him to develop next year, he either make the NHL or he should be traded.

Reactions: HabzSauce

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
At this point I'd probably add a late pick as a sweetener but I don't think there's really a next guy up after Lucius in the Jets system that would make sense for Barron
I think we’d be able to come to a mutually agreeable solution

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As an Oilers fan, Ceci isn't an offensive guy OR a defensive guy. he's kinda just.... a guy. He won't hurt you as your #4, but he won't really help you either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad