Value of: RHD Justin Barron

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I’d be interested in WPG taking a flyer on him… see if we can get him to commit where the Habs haven’t been able to.
What would you be looking at as a return?
A couple months ago the idea of Lucius for Barron was tossed around. Neither player is exceptionally exciting but both have some upside remaining

Reactions: Buffdog

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So quick to give up on him. He posted good numbers in the NHL. He’ll be fine
I think the issue is mostly icetime for young defensemen, Montreal has a lot of them - including RD Reinbacher (who current management chose at #5 overall) and Logan Mailloux who has some reputation issues to move past from before he could ever be traded, so Barron is quickly seen as the option to move out first, assuming there is sufficient interest.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
...He does? Struble and Harris are far more likely to be the odd man out.

Strubble is much better on defense and way more physical also

We already have Matheson and we'll have Hutson that can move the puck

Struble looks better defensively, but factoring in usage he's probably been Montreal's least effective D defensively this season.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The difference was Mitts played right after hr signed but did not accrue a season.

His 19 yr old season, thr next season he played in thr nhl.

Barton did not hit 10 games in his 19 yr old season
Even though he finishes his ELC, he should have waiver exemption next year.

Pullock signed right after the draft so his 19 yr old season with a similar late birthday was snake to slide. His 29 yr old season he did all AHL iirc.

Mitts because his first year was shortened because he signed after college he still had as yr of waiver exemption after his elc ended.

Since Barron didn't hit 10 games in his 19 yr old season he should be waiver exempt next season
Barron played his 19 year-old season in junior. He played his 20 year-old season between the AHL and NHL (like last year and this year).

• For players whom are 20 or older, the year in which they play their first Professional Game (e.g. NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, European Leagues) is the year which is considered their first year towards the waiver exemption; however, the player must be under an NHL contract.
Based on this, he is in this 3rd year for waiver purposes which is magic number for a player who played their first game at 20 to become waiver eligible the next year.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
...He does? Struble and Harris are far more likely to be the odd man out.
Yes on Harris, think they really like Struble and he's ahead of both Barron and Xhekaj. Reality is Barron has shown some good flashes and I doubt they're going to give up on him at a low point in value, right shooting D are too valuable a commodity if he figures it out

Reactions: malcb33

SwordSlash666

Mar 8, 2006
Montreal
#wonthetrade
You did in a vacuum, no shame to admit it. Happy for Lehkonen who's beloved in Montréal.

But what's funny is that the majority of Avs fans (and people on that forum at large) thought that Lehkonen wasn't good enough when the trade was made and then, you won the cup in part because of him. So it was in the end just another instance of a Habs player underated on HFBoards, even if supposedly, every Habs fans overate the value of their players.

Reactions: Guess and viceroy

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yes on Harris, think they really like Struble and he's ahead of both Barron and Xhekaj. Reality is Barron has shown some good flashes and I doubt they're going to give up on him at a low point in value, right shooting D are too valuable a commodity if he figures it out

This is demonstrably incorrect in both usage and impact. Struble is more sheltered than anyone but Harris and is less effective than any D other than Lindstrom. He's also a work in progress, but he hasn't been more consistent than Harris, Barron or Xhekaj.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think the issue is mostly icetime for young defensemen, Montreal has a lot of them - including RD Reinbacher (who current management chose at #5 overall) and Logan Mailloux who has some reputation issues to move past from before he could ever be traded, so Barron is quickly seen as the option to move out first, assuming there is sufficient interest.

I agree that Barron is the one who is most likely to get moved, but I wouldn't be looking to trade him until after Reinbacher and Mailloux actually show they can outperform him at the NHL level. Potential is great, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This is demonstrably incorrect in both usage and impact. Struble is more sheltered than anyone but Harris and is less effective than any D other than Lindstrom. He's also a work in progress, but he hasn't been more consistent than Harris, Barron or Xhekaj.
He's also the greenest, so that isn't a big surprise.

I rate Struble below Xhekaj but above Harris and Barron, right now, in terms of likely finished product. Barron could turn things around, but I'm just not seeing it at this point.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
He's also the greenest, so that isn't a big surprise.

I rate Struble below Xhekaj but above Harris and Barron, right now, in terms of likely finished product. Barron could turn things around, but I'm just not seeing it at this point.

Harris and Barron aren't that much more experienced. Harris is older, but has been more effective as a bottom pair D-man. Barron is both younger and was better in tougher minutes. Struble is a predictable D with physicality, but if he's above guys like Harris in terms of likely finished product then his ceiling is extremely low.

The book on Barron right now is that he's been NHL ready offensively for a while now, but his D game isn't where it needs to be yet, which is why he was sent down. Same with Xhekaj. Guys like Struble are up because he's more polished defensively, but isn't really there in transition or offensively.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Harris and Barron aren't that much more experienced. Harris is older, but has been more effective as a bottom pair D-man. Barron is both younger and was better in tougher minutes. Struble is a predictable D with physicality, but if he's above guys like Harris in terms of likely finished product then his ceiling is extremely low.

The book on Barron right now is that he's been NHL ready offensively for a while now, but his D game isn't where it needs to be yet, which is why he was sent down. Same with Xhekaj. Guys like Struble are up because he's more polished defensively, but isn't really there in transition or offensively.
Harris has a full year's age and a full season of pro experience on Struble, and Barron is essentially the same age as Struble but has a lot more pro experience. I do agree that Struble's ceiling isn't super high, but that's ok - we need effective minute-munching guys who aren't going to be PP1 QBs, as well.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Harris has a full year's age and a full season of pro experience on Struble, and Barron is essentially the same age as Struble but has a lot more pro experience. I do agree that Struble's ceiling isn't super high, but that's ok - we need effective minute-munching guys who aren't going to be PP1 QBs, as well.

I just don't see a spot for him on the roster right now. Xhekaj and Guhle are also LD and are just straight up better, more complete players. Montreal has Matheson, other LD that are more effective right now, and good prospects at LD too. Barron has higher upside and plays RD, which is scarcer both on the team and league-wide.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
do you guys even need him with malinski in the ahl.
Barron has higher upside than Malinski and manson is in his early 30s. Our wings are full of younger players so Olausson has a tougher group to crack. That being said, if Barron is truly horrific defensively then Id rather just let OO stew another year in the AHL. We cant have a complete liability on D but can manage on wings.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I’d prefer to just let him develop and trade one of the LD. Likely available, but not at a big discount just because he’s still developing. A move for a young middle-6 C like Bystedt would make a lot of sense.
The fact that he's waiver-eligible next year and the Habs have a ton of dmen as is will make it hard for him to play games and develop.

Reactions: Runner77

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I just don't see a spot for him on the roster right now. Xhekaj and Guhle are also LD and are just straight up better, more complete players. Montreal has Matheson, other LD that are more effective right now, and good prospects at LD too. Barron has higher upside and plays RD, which is scarcer both on the team and league-wide.
Guhle is fine on RD for now, so there's room until one of Reinbacher or Mailloux or Barron come up and take a top-4 slot, and that's in addition to one of them taking Savard's slot, so the contention on LD is more likely to be due to Hutson, Harris and Struble fighting for one slot. Until Hutson shows something, it's Struble's to lose.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Guhle is fine on RD for now, so there's room until one of Reinbacher or Mailloux or Barron come up and take a top-4 slot, and that's in addition to one of them taking Savard's slot, so the contention on LD is more likely to be due to Hutson, Harris and Struble fighting for one slot. Until Hutson shows something, it's Struble's to lose.

Struble isn't even a lock at LD this season.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The fact that he's waiver-eligible next year and the Habs have a ton of dmen as is will make it hard for him to play games and develop.

Depends on where those defenceman play. Pending impressive showings to end the year, each of Engstrom, Mailloux, Hutson, and Reinbacher are on track to benefit from a year in Laval. Kovacevic won't be prioritized over Barron (or any of the other younger defenceman) if Barron shows he's capable of holding down a spot. Taking injuries into consideration, carrying 8 defenceman isn’t the end of the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad