Value of: RHD Justin Barron

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
not until summer of '25 or '26 (depending on whether his 7 ahl games in 20-2 count or if that contract year slides) or until he's played 73 more nhl games.

I love Struble... but they aren't in direct competition. Completely different roles.

That's 2 years or 73 NHL games away...

CapFriendly has it as waiver eligible in 2024-2025 as this is currently his 3rd NHL season.

3 seasons or 160 games for signing age 20.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I feel like Barron will be put on waivers and claimed at some point

That's how i think his journey with the Habs will end. He doesn't have much if any value right now. Maybe a late pick or something

I kind of agree. Or at least moved by the Habs before it gets to that point.

That said, I do think he will put it together at some point. He's big, he's a right shot, and he's a great skater. I'm guessing at like 28 he'll be playing on some other team's top4.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Strubble is much better on defense and way more physical also

We already have Matheson and we'll have Hutson that can move the puck

Matheson won t likely be the puck mover given his age during contention window. Hutson has never played in the AhL or NHL. Strubble is not the same kind og player but that s my point why get rid of Barron now

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Matheson won t likely be the puck mover given his age during contention window. Hutson has never played in the AhL or NHL. Strubble is not the same kind og player but that s my point why get rid of Barron now

Hutson never played a game but I think it's a risk worth taking, plus, we could trade Barron for another project for a player that play in a position where we're less stacked prospect wise

Like, other than Mesar and Beck, our forward prospect bank is pretty barren, since Roy has already graduated

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I still think Barron can be a regular NHL player with top 4 upside, he just needs regular ice time and some patience IMO. He has a solid transition game, a good skater and can jump into the offense, but needs to work on his defensive game.

With him spending a god chunk of the year in the AHL I think the best Montreal can do right now is a prospect swap for an almost NHL ready forward or an add in on a larger trade.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Draft

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
He would make some sense as a SJ Sharks target. We don't have a RHD prospect better than Barron in the system. I'd prefer to offer Bordeleau for him but I might be convinced to offer Bystedt for him if Bordeleau is unappealing to the Habs.

• Wow
Reactions: Grinner

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
He would make some sense as a SJ Sharks target. We don't have a RHD prospect better than Barron in the system. I'd prefer to offer Bordeleau for him but I might be convinced to offer Bystedt for him if Bordeleau is unappealing to the Habs.
I’ll be honest, I haven’t followed either of these guys, but based on a very quick read, Bystedt sounds like a Hughes kinda prospect.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
CapFriendly has it as waiver eligible in 2024-2025 as this is currently his 3rd NHL season.

3 seasons or 160 games for signing age 20.
I dont think that is accurate.

He has a nov birthday.

Drafted 2020
20/21 Q/AHL
21/22 he's 19 with late bday. He only played 7 nhl games. He burned his first ELC but not accrue 10 nhl games
22/23 2nd elc season
23/24 3rd elc year
Next year 24/25 he should still be waiver exempt until he hits 160 nhl games.

This is what happened with Mittlestadt. He signed in the arch after college season and played a few games. His signing age was 20 so no sliding contract but he still had 3 yfull years of waiver exemption unless he crossed the game count.

Reactions: pth2

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He’s had an up and down year. Played games in the NHL where he’s looked excellent, games in the AHL that have looked really weak. He’s still very young and has all the tools you could ask for. There’s big upside despite the inconsistency.

When it comes to these prospects… Xhekaj is great again but was trash some months ago before getting sent down. Struble is coming back down to earth after being proclaimed the next big thing and making Guhle expendable. Harris is in the dog house but had exceptional stretches last year. Mailloux is having a great year offensively but I cringe thinking about him playing defence in the NHL. It’s almost like development for these very young players isn’t linear.

I’d prefer to just let him develop and trade one of the LD. Likely available, but not at a big discount just because he’s still developing. A move for a young middle-6 C like Bystedt would make a lot of sense.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I dont think that is accurate.

He has a nov birthday.

Drafted 2020
20/21 Q/AHL
21/22 he's 19 with late bday. He only played 7 nhl games. He burned his first ELC but not accrue 10 nhl games
22/23 2nd elc season
23/24 3rd elc year
Next year 24/25 he should still be waiver exempt until he hits 160 nhl games.

This is what happened with Mittlestadt. He signed in the arch after college season and played a few games. His signing age was 20 so no sliding contract but he still had 3 yfull years of waiver exemption unless he crossed the game count.

Mittelstadt contract signing age was 19, Barron was 20.

• Age is defined by the following CBA 13.4:
    • If a player turns 18 between January 1 and September 15 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 18
    • If a player turns 19 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 19
    • If a player turns 20 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 20, and so on.
  • For players whom are 20 or older, the year in which they play their first Professional Game (e.g. NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, European Leagues) is the year which is considered their first year towards the waiver exemption; however, the player must be under an NHL contract.
Mittelstadt turned 20 in the 2nd year of his ELC, Barron in his first.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I’d be interested in WPG taking a flyer on him… see if we can get him to commit where the Habs haven’t been able to.
What would you be looking at as a return?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Mittelstadt contract signing age was 19, Barron was 20.

• Age is defined by the following CBA 13.4:
    • If a player turns 18 between January 1 and September 15 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 18
    • If a player turns 19 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 19
    • If a player turns 20 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 20, and so on.
  • For players whom are 20 or older, the year in which they play their first Professional Game (e.g. NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, European Leagues) is the year which is considered their first year towards the waiver exemption; however, the player must be under an NHL contract.
Mittelstadt turned 20 in the 2nd year of his ELC, Barron in his first.
The difference was Mitts played right after hr signed but did not accrue a season.

His 19 yr old season, thr next season he played in thr nhl.

Barton did not hit 10 games in his 19 yr old season
Even though he finishes his ELC, he should have waiver exemption next year.

Pullock signed right after the draft so his 19 yr old season with a similar late birthday was snake to slide. His 29 yr old season he did all AHL iirc.

Mitts because his first year was shortened because he signed after college he still had as yr of waiver exemption after his elc ended.

Since Barron didn't hit 10 games in his 19 yr old season he should be waiver exempt next season

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I’d be interested in WPG taking a flyer on him… see if we can get him to commit where the Habs haven’t been able to.
What would you be looking at as a return?

A forward prospect I'd say, since we're pretty much loaded with defense prospect

Or a draft pick. We always like draft picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
.....we could trade Barron for another project for a player that play in a position where we're less stacked prospect wise

Like, other than Mesar and Beck, our forward prospect bank is pretty barren, since Roy has already graduated

Sykora, who was a 2nd rounder and has 2 full elc yrs after this
+ cap dump Leshitshow 766,667 after this yr
for
Barron a late 1st who has no more elc after this, enters rfa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad