Value of: RHD Justin Barron

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He always looks like he should be so much more than he is…he’s such a great athlete and skater. Still pretty young and a right hand shot. I think he’d have more value as a project piece in a bigger deal than in a vacuum on his own.

That said, I personally think he’s bound for a career similar to a guy like Jon Merrill. Merrill was a pretty high pick back in the day and is another guy who is built like a champ and can really skate but there was disconnect between his athletic skills and his hockey decision making and vision that neutered his upside. Still kicking around a decade later because the physical base gives him a floor.

I think it’s only going to get harder and harder for Barron to make headway on a Habs blueline with more talent on the way.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like prospect swap prob best case scenario….

Depending how draft goes I guess I’d consider Anaheim taking him…. We shoulda just grabbed him for perreault /shrug

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He plays with extreme hesitancy and displays a general unwillingness to scrape, claw and get dirty. Shies away from contact. Doesn't win many puck battles. Second effort almost non-existent.

Has a ton of tools, but very little drive or understanding of what it takes to persevere and succeed.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Funny considering at the start of the year someone tried telling me he was a potential top pairing guy.
Same with Matheson. I remember Edmundson being a top tier D option, too. Armia was an elite checking winger. Crazy how a bad team could have so many good players.

Reactions: Ciao

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Prospect swap?
Or just keep him. No reason to rush Logan or David. Start him with the habs next season and go from there.

I feel like prospect swap prob best case scenario….

Depending how draft goes I guess I’d consider Anaheim taking him…. We shoulda just grabbed him for perreault /shrug

I'd do a prospects swap

Barron will probably never play a game in Montréal since we have Mailloux coming up as soon as next year

He's a project, and a New start might help him

As someone else said in this thread, he has all the tools to succede, he just can't put it all together with us it seems

Same with Matheson. I remember Edmundson being a top tier D option, too. Armia was an elite checking winger. Crazy how a bad team could have so many good players.

We were right on Chiarot and Monahan tho, give us a lil credit here

Plus, nobody ever said that on Armia, ever and Matheson is not being traded (for now)

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
As a Habs fan I don t get it, he is still young and developping. MTL has been missing puck moving D for years, and now fans want to get rid of him already…

He's behind Reinbacher and Mailloux at the very least in the depth chart, and it seems that Struble is taking his place too

Reactions: Guess

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

Armia is an elite checking winger. It's the other 60 games in the year you need to worry about.

Funny considering at the start of the year someone tried telling me he was a potential top pairing guy.

You're telling me someone on a hockey forum dedicated to prospects overhyped one of their team's youngsters? Crazy.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Doesn't he need to clear waivers next season (I could be wrong)?
not until summer of '25 or '26 (depending on whether his 7 ahl games in 20-2 count or if that contract year slides) or until he's played 73 more nhl games.

Mailloux and Reinabcher have never set foot in the NHL. Strubble is not nearly as good a puck mover as Barron.
I love Struble... but they aren't in direct competition. Completely different roles.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs have the luxury of time with Justin Barron. His value is low and no point trading him when RHD position is of need. He has the tools but low hockey IQ. I believe he is no longer waiver exempt next season so may as well see where he is at during training camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I feel like Barron will be put on waivers and claimed at some point

That's how i think his journey with the Habs will end. He doesn't have much if any value right now. Maybe a late pick or something

Reactions: HabsQC and McJedi

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
I feel like Barron will be put on waivers and claimed at some point

That's how i think his journey with the Habs will end. He doesn't have much if any value right now. Maybe a late pick or something
kent hughes carried 3 goalies for five full months, because he didn't want to lose cayden primeau, who is much lesser prospect than barron. no way he waives barron, at least next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad